Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #1  
    Given the lackluster success of the Palm Pre, should HP have gone with a name besides "Pre?"

You can't really say that the name "Pre" has a large mind-share among consumers and perhaps a more catchy name could serve to reboot the phone, as it were.
    I just wish that they'd find some sort of unified theme behind their product names.

Pre 3: Second sequel to a line of smartphones that general consumers don't know or care about.

Touchpad: The part on a laptop that you touch to move the mouse around...

Veer: A change in direction.

These have nothing to do with one another, and in my opinion, it kind of hurts the webOS brand. It seems that HP had a "directional" theme in mind at some point, as evidenced by "HP Pivot", which is an awful name for a magazine but a decent name for a phone.

I suppose that perhaps later, when there are dozens of different webOS devices from all areas of the home, it won't matter as much, but right now it just seems odd. But to answer the question you actually asked instead of spouting off on my own, I think the "Pre" name doesn't really matter all that much either way. It's a call-back for the webOS faithful, and most people don't remember/never heard of the original Pre.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    At this point they should call it the HP Vapourware.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    at this point i don't see how you can call a pre anything other than a pre
    HP Palm for the pre3
    HP Treo for a phone with keyboard on front like the pixi
    HP Visor for slab phone
    HP Pilot for a larger slab phone
    HP Centro for the current veer
    HP Zire for entry level phones
    HP Tungsten for a superphone

and...

HP Envy for an iphone rival
    Why? It's the same darn phone with a spec bump. They can't seem to be able to innovate at all. They aren't even "me too" phones, they're "me again (Pre plus), me again (Pre 2), and me yet again (Pre 3)"...
    vince400 and gmlongo like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why? It's the same darn phone with a spec bump. They can't seem to be able to innovate at all. They aren't even "me too" phones, they're "me again (Pre plus), me again (Pre 2), and me yet again (Pre 3)"...
    Then how is iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 not, me, me again, me again but a bit faster, and me with a crappy glass back and an antenna problem?

Because a keyboardless slate like the iPhone and 314,159,265 other Android phones is sooooo innovative.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Then how is iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 not, me, me again, me again but a bit faster, and me with a crappy glass back and an antenna problem?

Because a keyboardless slate like the iPhone and 314,159,265 other Android phones is sooooo innovative.
    Lol, I completely agree with you on the iphone, spec bump paradise.

Sorry but Android is the only platform to allow you choices. Want a portrait slider? Got it. Want a horizontal slider? Got it. Want a high end dual core? Got it. Want a low end phone inexpensive phone? Got it.

I'll be one of the first ones to say webOS has the best user experience, but Beta was better than VHS and OS/2 was better than Windows.

HP has a long uphill climb with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

The difference is that each iPhone iteration was VERY successful. Same can't be said about any of the various Pre incarnations...
    Yes. New name. Don't try to catch a falling knife.
    gmlongo likes this.
    Since HP has stated that it plans on launching different designs of smartphones in the future, it makes since to me because the Pre 3 still follows the same design theme as the Pre, Pre Plus and Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmlongo View Post
    The difference is that each iPhone iteration was VERY successful. Same can't be said about any of the various Pre incarnations...
    Which means that the Pre's lack of success cannot have been due to its spec-bumping since the iPhone is quite successful even though it gets nothing but a small spec bump every year.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    personally this is my first palm phone. i had a hand me down palm pilot once that i used for like a week then threw in a draw. So if it was me i'd have gutted everything because honestly, i don't think the names hold much more then sentimental value. So i'd have tossed Palm, Pre, Pixi, all of it. I'd probabably have changed webos to something else though i can't think of anything so i'd also be open to leaving it. But i'd have massively rebranded it. I also don't think HP as a brand holds much style of cache so i wouldn't have been against minimizing HP. maybe just saying "by HP" or something. They kinda do that now.

now to long time Palm people i'm sure this is sacrilige but that's not me. I don't really have a history with them and they don't hold any value. That's my opinion. That being said, in the end i think the name is a tiny thing, release a top product that satisfies peoples wants and you can name it after feminine hygiene products like Apple did and people will still buy it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Lol, I completely agree with you on the iphone, spec bump paradise.

Sorry but Android is the only platform to allow you choices. Want a portrait slider? Got it. Want a horizontal slider? Got it. Want a high end dual core? Got it. Want a low end phone inexpensive phone? Got it.

I'll be one of the first ones to say webOS has the best user experience, but Beta was better than VHS and OS/2 was better than Windows.

HP has a long uphill climb with the Pre.
    Find me a vertical slider that has an up to date Snapdragon.

Both the Motorola Spice and the Alcatel OT980 doesn't count, they both have ARMv6s. Even the Veer is more powerful than either of those, which is why I have one for the time-being. The Pre 3 does it, but HP needs to release it.

And again, I'm not arguing what HP is doing right with a vertical slider only, if anything I do question why the Veer went slider. The Veer is a good phone (if the Pre had the build quality of the Veer we'd be looking at a very different world today) and I do like the phone itself, but it definitely is the wrong approach to have two slider phones in its lineup. HP has the ability to bring out webOS to all form factors and they should. So scrap "ALL vertical sliders", but don't scrap vertical slider.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Which means that the Pre's lack of success cannot have been due to its spec-bumping since the iPhone is quite successful even though it gets nothing but a small spec bump every year.
    Huh? What kind of twisted logic is that? The ORIGINAL iPhone was a huge success, so building upon a hugely successful product makes a ton of sense. Building upon a failed product, not so much...
    Quote Originally Posted by gmlongo View Post
    Huh? What kind of twisted logic is that? The ORIGINAL iPhone was a huge success, so building upon a hugely successful product makes a ton of sense. Building upon a failed product, not so much...
    Twisted logic? Dude you ever take a math class? A + X ? B + X, where A = iphone, B = pre, and X = spec bump. The equation becomes A ? B
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Twisted logic? Dude you ever take a math class? A + X ? B + X, where A = iphone, B = pre, and X = spec bump. The equation becomes A ? B
    How about we look at sales(A) ? sales(B) ... (Add in all X's you want)

The point being there have been how many models of Mustangs built by Ford vs. How many models of the Edsel? You copy and spec bump a success, you let failures die and replace them with new and different models.
    gmlongo likes this.
    haha yeah thats correct in a math class,and yes logic is not being used correctly in that scenario, it's a fallacy
    My little sister is selling lemon aid in a lemon aid stand on the street corner.

She sells 5 glasses on day 1.

Tropicana sold 500,000 glasses on the same day.

On day two, she decides to put more lemon in the lemon aid. She sells 6 glasses this time.

Tropicana puts more sugar in theirs and sells 600,000 glasses.

Conclusion: My little sister does not have the prowess Tropicana does. It doesn't mean Tropicana's lemon aid was better. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Nobody even tried her lemon aid so who can even tell?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

mafu6 likes this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Wow, you are completely lost...Ignoring sales figures (when that IS the goal of any phone) is foolish.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast