Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Sprint certainly have calculated risks of not offering Pre3, and decided not to offer it despite some possible loses. I understand why Sprint is not saying anything straight, because by staling, they converting Sprint loyal webOS users to other platforms. I wonder why HP doesn't make direct statement.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/22/2011 at 03:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    This is actually a clever idea for pre users. I'd probably continue with Pixis until I could no longer find the hardware though then go back to my backup Treo.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Sprint certainly have calculated risks of not offering Pre3, and decided not to offer it despite some possible loses. I understand why Sprint is not saying anything straight, because by staling, they converting Sprint loyal webOS users to other platforms. I wonder why HP doesn't make direct statement.
    I agree. They might have calculated risk for every aspect of this decision. It looks to me they are pushing HP to come with a "better" product. Dan Hesse is not shy , he said that publicly about Android. It took two years for Android to crack the market open.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I wonder why HP doesn't make direct statement.
    Here's the hypothetical-- the Pre3 launches on AT&T and Verizon, and becomes a runaway hit when the iPhone 5 turns out to cause leprosy. Sprint now wants to join the bandwagon, 1-2 months late.

In the absence of a definitive statement, there are a certain number of people who will stick with Sprint in the hopes that the above situation happens.

Sprint doesn't want to say "no" right now and lose the customers.

HP doesn't want to say "no" and **** off Sprint when they lose customers.

So we get left in the dark while everyone waits to see how well the thing sells.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Not going to happen on Sprint ------- Here's why

Sprint Snubs WebOS, Deals Blow to HP - Mobiledia - The Mobile Future - Forbes

I really think HP is having a problem with "ANY CARRIER" to commit to a WebOs device at this time.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    What leverage does hp have over sprint again?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    i'm talking about HP's overall leverage as a giant company that it is.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash X View Post

I really think HP is having a problem with "ANY CARRIER" to commit to a WebOs device at this time.
    First of all, just cause some article claims something, doesn't mean it is true. However i do believe that sprint did snub HP and does not want to support any future webos device for the time being.

That is the whole reason for this idea, is that sprint doesnt not have to commit to it, or even sell it, or even support it (tech support), or even insure it.

The most loyal webos users still overwhelmingly remain on sprint, and i am certain there are plenty of android users on sprint who will switch back to webos given that a new device is available. All my idea suggests is that since HP is making a verizon pre3, they can create pre3 for sprint, and sell it directly, given that all they need sprint to do is agree to allow those ESN 's be activated on their network.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    There is no "unlocked" version of CDMA. Period. It's not that it isn't called "unlocked;" it's that there is nothing close to it. In order for a phone to work on either Sprint or Verizon, Sprint or Verizon have to manually go into their systems and say "this phone is allowed on our network." It's that whole Clean ESN thing you might have seen. Each phone has an ESN that identifies it. Sprint has to say what ESNs are allowed on the network.

Your method is asking Sprint to go through and do a lot of work to input these ESNs into their system, but get no cut of the profits of selling the phone.
    first of all sprint and other carriers lose money selling phones by subsidizing them, that is why discounted phones require contracts.

I understand their is no unlocked phones on CDMA like their is on GSM. Sprint would not have to do alot of work to just allow the pre3 ESN's on their network, they already do it for every single phone that is on their network. HP does not have to do much either, expcept flash a sprint compatible version of Webos, on the exact same pre3 they are offering to verizon.

The point of my idea, was that it seems that sprint does not want to support any webos phone, it does not hurt them to carry it on their network. The losses incurred by sprint on the original pre was through, service and repair, tech support, exchanges, advertising, and other things.

That is why a sprint capable pre3, purchased directly from HP unsubsidized by sprint and without the expectation of any support or insurance is the best route to go, everyone is happy. HP gets pre3 into the hands of their already loyal existing base, sprint keeps its customers without any hassle of supporting a webos device.

Im not saying this would happen, i actually think it wont. but if anyone with at least half a brain, in HP wanted it to it is very possible. Unfortunately i hink HP could care less about its existing loyal user base. They want webos to be a mass market product and could care less about all the existing users.

I don't know who HP is targeting their webos devices to now, but it sure as hell doesnt seem like the demographics that currently make up the webos userbase.
    Carriers do not lose money by subsidizing phones. They gain customers by subsidizing phones, by lowering the price of admission. Over the two years you are locked into a carrier's service, they more than make up the discount they gave you on the phone. And if you drop early, guess why there are early termination charges. You end up paying for the phone, one way or another.

Without Sprint and HP working together to make a Sprint Pre 3 happen, it is in neither of their interests to proceed without the help of the other. You think, hey HP sells more phones and Sprint keeps more customers, but it is nowhere near that simple. If either decided to just say screw it and make the Pre 3 happen without any help from the other, they would run the risk of ending up with a non-functioning or less-than-100% functioning device, which would make both the companies look bad.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    There is no "unlocked" version of CDMA. Period. It's not that it isn't called "unlocked;" it's that there is nothing close to it. In order for a phone to work on either Sprint or Verizon, Sprint or Verizon have to manually go into their systems and say "this phone is allowed on our network." It's that whole Clean ESN thing you might have seen. Each phone has an ESN that identifies it. Sprint has to say what ESNs are allowed on the network.

Your method is asking Sprint to go through and do a lot of work to input these ESNs into their system, but get no cut of the profits of selling the phone.
    Metro PCS has MANY Sprint phones connected to their system all the time. They have a way of flashing a Sprint phone and have it operational on their system. There's absolutely no reason Sprint would be incapable of doing this. If a smaller upcoming company like Metro can do it there's no reason why "the now network" cant.

In fact my friend today had a HTC EVO 4G from Sprint running on Metro, said he got it off Craigslist already "unlocked" for Metro and then went and got it connected up. I saw it for myself running on 3G and everything. He didn't have 4G though...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Here's the hypothetical-- the Pre3 launches on AT&T and Verizon, and becomes a runaway hit when the iPhone 5 turns out to cause leprosy. Sprint now wants to join the bandwagon, 1-2 months late.

In the absence of a definitive statement, there are a certain number of people who will stick with Sprint in the hopes that the above situation happens.

Sprint doesn't want to say "no" right now and lose the customers.

HP doesn't want to say "no" and **** off Sprint when they lose customers.

So we get left in the dark while everyone waits to see how well the thing sells.
    HP wouldn't **** of Sprint by publicly announcing that there are no plans for launching any webOS phone in pipeline on Sprint if Sprint hasn't interested. If there is some mystical Sprint webOS phone in talks (I know, chances are less than 0%), HP should announce it. Since legacy Pre and Pixi, no webOS phone was on Sprint, whole thing went too much of course to be ignored by HP and treated as usual business course. With so many devoted webOS users on specific network waiting info about future relations between their carrier and webOS devices, HP have to play openly. It's not something Sprint's webOS users should read between lines, and make assumptions based on vague Dan's hints
    It's funny, HP had so many ways to play "make things right" beside 2.0 update for legacy devices, and they seem to ignore all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash X View Post

Not so sure Sprint doesn't want any future webOS phone, that would be too much, and without any sense.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/23/2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Despite both being CDMA, don't Sprint and Verizon operate on different frequencies?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Despite both being CDMA, don't Sprint and Verizon operate on different frequencies?
    The 3G and 1X bands are the same, they roam on each other's networks. The LTE/WiMax are seperate technologies/bands, so no 4G roaming however.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    When I picked up a Nexus S 4G the other day, the sales guy at the Sprint store said that very recently the number of trade in Pre's has gone up as more people are giving up. He stated that many said the same thing I did - "If only there was a new webOS phone on Sprint".

What I am hearing is that most people won't change carriers for a phone and Sprint has no incentive to carry a phone that likely won't do well (Pre3).

Just my 2 cents.

Also, though I like the coolness of the Nexus S 4G, Android sucks in comparison to webOS. Hope to get back soon
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    When I picked up a Nexus S 4G the other day, the sales guy at the Sprint store said that very recently the number of trade in Pre's has gone up as more people are giving up. He stated that many said the same thing I did - "If only there was a new webOS phone on Sprint".

What I am hearing is that most people won't change carriers for a phone and Sprint has no incentive to carry a phone that likely won't do well (Pre3).

Just my 2 cents.

Also, though I like the coolness of the Nexus S 4G, Android sucks in comparison to webOS. Hope to get back soon
    How would the Pre 3 not do well if it was released on sprint. It's hopefully not going to have the same hardware issues that the Pre did. So I dont get how they could use that as a reason. Just put the damn phone for sale online and see how well it does before you put it in all your stores....
    Either change carriers... Or OS's

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    is there a chance to get pre 3 running on Sprint now?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    10+ year Sprint user here, who is still rockin the Pre-. I've given up and have ordered two Pre 3's that I plan to use on H2o Wireless.
    Just left Sprint a couple of days a go, rock'n my pre 3 on at&t, awesome phone, well worth it. I was thinking about Verizon Pre 3 but no 4G, I can't see paying all of that money and have to go 2 more years on just 3G. They may call it faux G on at&t but it is plenty fast, much much faster than Sprints lousy 3G.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    So the advantage of American carriers sticking with CDMA was... no BYO phone option (and international disparity)?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast