Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  • 1 Post By rburtz
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    So I was looking at the list of phones reviewed and rated over at Engadget using their card-o-matic, and I selected sort by rating highest to lowest. Since there are just 6 phones rated at 9/10 (the iPhones, EVO 4G, Galaxy S II, Atrix 4G and nothing has or will likely ever receive 10/10), I'm wondering what people predict the Pre3 will receive when rated? Obviously, our own individual ratings and that of PreCentral will be more important, but what do you think Engadget will rate it since they have a nice full list to view?

Probably an 8/10 since they will ding it for the app store not matching Apple or Android? 3G radios only? What else will they not like?

I'm just curious since that will reach an audience that is certainly not as WebOS savvy as PreCentral readers.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    6/10 Same form factor as the ill-fated Pre. 1.2GHz processor way too slow compared to the iPhone8 4.0GHz processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    6/10 Same form factor as the ill-fated Pre. 1.2GHz processor way too slow compared to the iPhone8 4.0GHz processor.
    Pre3 has a 1.4 Ghz processor, just sayin........
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    ???

The Pre 3 will have a 1.4 ghz CPU. There has been some speculation that it might be switched to a dual core 1.2 ghz.. but, that hasn't been anywhere near confirmed.

The iPhone 4 as an a9 1 ghz CPU.

I have NO idea what your "iPhone8" speculation is about.

The iPhone is NOT the standard, by the way... the Pre 3 is likely to be compared to the best of Android offerings at the time it hits the market.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

feltmoney likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Pre3 has a 1.4 Ghz processor, just sayin........
    I was putting in the obligatory Engadget errors...
    dtreo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    ???

I have NO idea what your "iPhone8" speculation is about.
    I was assuming that Engadget would try to compare the Pre3 to a phone that hasn't even hit the design board yet. They have a tendancy to find ways to downgrade any product they don't like by overexaggerating the potential differences.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Probably take off points for Webos still being laggy and an app catalog that barely has anything useful. My guess is a 6 just like the veer.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Here is their summary of the Veer:
    6/10
    Pros:
    Speedy webOS experience
    Tiny and cute
    Responsive, durable touchscreen

Cons:
    Petite frame isn't for everyone
    Sub-par camera
    Poor selection of apps

So assuming the size and ergonomics are much better with the Pre3, and the camera should be a lot better, the knock I'm expecting most will still be the app store (which I ignore since I rarely use apps beyond the big major ones that all app stores have). Don't you think they'll give it an 8? What else could they really ding? Same goes for any other larger non-specialty site review (CNET, PCWorld, WSJournal, etc).
    Just Type, synergy, factory-installed inductive charging and touch-to-share alone should give it points ahead of any of the top 6 in my opinion. It won't be perfect, but it does have a lot of useful and unique features for a top tier phone. I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but it will be interesting to see where the reviews go negative for HP/Palm...which, they always do.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    It will get the same review WebOS has gotten sence the Pre

Awsome OS, multitasking is ubah
    Needs some work on Apps
    Alittle sluggish around the edges but its not so laggy its unsueable
    The keyboard is nice, but "its not blackberry" so it could use some work
    Screen is nice but "its not apple" so it could use some work
  9. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    since its not iOS or android, I would place in the less then steller review category. . . . the funny thing is the SAME folks that complained about the pre-, pre+, pre2, touchpad will most likely show up and start hating on here. Too bad we can't mod the forum to vote them off the island or once enough folks classify them as a hater their post only shows up to them??? ( I might be on to something there)

Let me guess . . . battery doesn't last as long, keyboard too small, reception is poor, not enough app's, not delivered on time (regardless when it actually is in folks hands), cheap feel, wrong color, blah blah blah will be what comes out . . . most likely even before launch??

Sorry, I digress --- but it chaps my **** to see the negative comments about the WebOS products on here as folks compare the WebOS products to product X. Any1 else bothered by the haters???
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The Veer they panned as a product nobody wanted.
    The Touchpad was a half baked buggy device with potential.

Pre 3?

I'm guessing will be labeled the device that would of impressed had it been released a year ago. I'll guess 5 out of 10.
    7/10
    7/10 or maybe even 8/10.

I know some cons will include
    -the display resolution (in comparison to the qHD & retina displays on the market, the Pre 3's won't look as sharp)
    -lack of apps

Either way, the Pre 3 probably won't get as high of a rating as it could of had, if it was released earlier. Doesn't look like it will be released until Aug or Sept. I hope in the future HP just stays quiet & doesn't make any announcements until like a week or two before the phone or tablet is going on sale. Waiting 6+ months for a phone is ridiculous, and is definitely not "Apple Cool".
    It'll absolutely be a 7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Depends on who's doing the evaluation - here are my guess predictions:

Precentral: 8/9 out of 10
    Walt Mossberg: 9/9 out of 10
    TechBuffalo: 8 out of 10
    ThisIsMyNext: 8.5 out of 10
    Engadget: 7/8 out of 10
    ZDnet: 6-8 out of 10 (depending on who the reviewer is)
    GizModo: 4 out of 10
    Other OS-preferred sites (Blacberry, WM 7, iOS, Android): 4 out of 10.

I think the big criticisms will be (and Im not justifyng them or agreeing, at all):

Small # applications
    No HDMI/video out

Now, as for what will stand out the most:

WebOS at lightening quick speeds, finally.
    Multitasking at its very best
    Big display with full QWERTY keyboard
    Beats Audio sound quality

I personally believe that it will actually be an unprecedented (for WebOS devices, that is) success... and reboot WebOS into the mobile space, the way HP thought the TP would have.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Sukiyaki likes this.
    2/10 because its not an iphone
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    In all honesty, it doesn't matter what they reviewers say. The Pre 3 already won the Laptop Magazine Poll!

And the Winner of the 2011 Smart Phone Madness Tournament is…

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    The Veer they panned as a product nobody wanted.
    The Touchpad was a half baked buggy device with potential.

Pre 3?

I'm guessing will be labeled the device that would of impressed had it been released a year ago. I'll guess 5 out of 10.
    Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS as much as any of us and I want it to succeed so that it continues to get better with further products. That being said, I think that the reasons you note for the Veer and TP being panned are (sadly) legit. In a broad sense, the Veer isn't what anyone was asking for and the TP certainly could use some more time in the oven. Kudos to HP for trying to get new products out the door, but the one that most everyone is waiting on is quite late and has frustrating carrier mysteries (Sprint).

Speaking of Sprint...imagine if they ended up by the end of the year with the following lineup: EVO 4G/EVO 3D, Galaxy S II, Pre3 and iPhone 4 (or 5). That would be impressive if they can hold on to unlimited data. And the new touchscreen Blackberries I suppose too.

HP just promised that they "...will not release a product that isn’t perfect."

What will reviewers say makes the perfect smartphone in Summer 2011:
    _______ Apps
    _______ Resolution (Retina/qHD?)
    _______ Thinness
    _______ RAM
    _______ microSD
    _______ HDMI & DLNA
    _______ 1080p Recording, digital zoom
    _______ Voice Search, Voice Control

If the reviewer only rates the webOS experince, the Veer and Pre 3 are a 10.

Will the reviewer look at specs too because specs are "objective"?