Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Palm Pre user since launch day and have loved it even though I am on my fifth Pre minus. After a mishap with Orange Juice that rendered typing useless and an oreo effect that constantly keeps the phone sliding open, my fifth pre is on its last legs. My sprint contract is up and I have been patiently waiting on the Pre 3 as it suits my needs perfectly. However, I am having doubts on how long I can hold out for the device. So my question is should I wait and limp forward with my device until the Pre 3 is released, or just settle on getting the veer? The veer always seemed gimmicky and lame to me, but I need webOS and soon. Any advice?
    I had a pre+ and now a veer/TP combo, I got the veer because the small form factor was nice but more for the build quality. Its a great little phone, but sadly the screen is just to small for me. I can deff see how it fits most peoples needs, however I am in the process of getting an unlocked pre2 with hopes of it getting 2.2...at least until the mythical pre3 shows itself.

again, just to clarify the veer is a great phone and coming from a pre- the veer and 2.X will blow Ur mind.
  3.    #3  
    I expected a response as such. I was wondering if any serious webOS users have a Veer and if they enjoy it. Or if they wish they would have waited for the Pre 3. General experience and advice from those willing to give it. Obviously its a personal decision but one I am having trouble with. Thus, I need advice. No need to pose smart-alec questions.
    oh ps- I bought mine off contract. You can find them for a respectable price on ebay/craigslist...save the upgrade cuz the pre3 off contract won't b cheap. that's my advice
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Anthony. I thought the screen size might be annoying. Did you have any trouble with speed or the new operating system?
    the phone is certainly snappy...my speed complaint is software related (damn delay sending texts) but the speed/battery life/quality is pure bliss...as far as webos hardware goes lol
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    I had a pre+ and now a veer/TP combo, I got the veer because the small form factor was nice but more for the build quality. Its a great little phone, but sadly the screen is just to small for me. I can deff see how it fits most peoples needs, however I am in the process of getting an unlocked pre2 with hopes of it getting 2.2...at least until the mythical pre3 shows itself.

again, just to clarify the veer is a great phone and coming from a pre- the veer and 2.X will blow Ur mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I have a Veer and Pre 2 sitting here in front of me. Both are good phones and performance wise its splitting hairs in my use. Pre 2 wins for screen size but the Veer for build quality. If the you do a lot of browsing Pre 2 would be better. Also pics in low light. As far as Pre 3. I will drop both once its out. My plans are to get a UK unlocked first and wait on At&T version whenever
    How is the Veer in terms of battery life? I wish HP would just give a release date. This decision would be so much easier.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    i recently abandoned sprint (day 1 palm pre user) for AT&T anf the HP Veer.

while the screen size is a little small, I am honestly glad that i switched (especially since i got it off contract for under $200 on eBay. that is the only way to go if you do go ahead with it imho)

Pros:
    MUCH better build quality
    WebOS 2.1.2 (and all the enhancements that come with it)
    faster than the Pre (even if overclocked)
    pretty good Flash performance
    highly pocketable
    conversation starter...OMG that is SO small?!?!?!

Cons:
    screen is obviously smaller
    occasional glitches that require a restart (but honestly that is true about all WebOS phones so...)
    a few $ more per month with AT&T (thank God for corporate discounts!)

let us know what you decide

I'll be getting the Pre3 wherever it comes first since i am off contract. I'm hoping for AT&T thought honestly cause they are cheaper than Verizon.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfai283 View Post
    How is the Veer in terms of battery life? I wish HP would just give a release date. This decision would be so much easier.
    battery life is nice. mine can generally last all day with moderate to heavy use. also i enjoy the magnetic charger. nice to use either that or the touchstone
    You said the veer seems "The veer always seemed gimmicky and lame" so i don't remotely know why you'd consider that as to me it seems like you'd just be setting you're self up to be angry and have buyers remorse.

i don't know what kind of buyer you are but i don't just run out and buy a phone because it's new. i ride my contract out, as you seem to do too, So i'd be very wary of buying something that you're unlikely to be happy with.

you said you like webos and the Pre 3 fits you're needs perfectly. Seems to me that's what you want and what you should wait on.

I think you really need to ask you're self, "How long are you willing to wait." i mean what day is the exact final straw. If webos is what you want most i'd just wait personally. You're on sprint, so it's cheaper. You may be able to ride it out.

I'd just pick what i want, find out how long i'll wait, then wait.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    i wanted a pre3 but couldnt pass up a good non contract price on a veer on ebay. i really like the small form factor and dont see how i can go back to a larger phone. if the veer only came with a ffc then it would have every thing that i want. if anything the veer makes a good mobile hotspot phone and matches well with my ipod touch 4g

get the veer if your main use is for phoning and texting and light browsing. the the pre 3 if your going to browse more often.
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 07/18/2011 at 10:12 PM.
    I'm a heavy smartphone user and carry the Veer as my daily driver. Came from an Evo, which I carried for 9 months, and a Pre-minus before that. webOS continues to have its quirks on the Veer, but compared to its performance on the Pre, the Veer is a breath of fresh air.

The hardware is ridiculously awesome for me, because it's summer (ideal for small phones) and it's different. The phone never fails to get a reaction from friends. Coming from the Evo's 4.3-inch display, I adjusted to the reduced screen size faster than I expected.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    If the Veer was available on Verizon I'd have one right now. Although I'd do like others have said and buy one off contract on ebay or something so that my upgrade would still be available when the Pre 3 drops.
    I gather the Veer is also less powerful and more memory bound than the Pre 2. Unless you want something really small, I'd pick the Pre 2 over the Veer.
    artwest50 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I gather the Veer is also less powerful and more memory bound than the Pre 2. Unless you want something really small, I'd pick the Pre 2 over the Veer.
    Except for the fact its not HSPA+
    But i still agree.

I would either
    A: Buy a Pre2 or Veer off contract
    B: Join At&t/Verizon, buy a smartphone (pre plus) off ebay/amazon/CL
    C: Find a replacement phone

Final Answer: Wait for pre 3
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    I think I'd prefer a less laggy phone with slightly slower data, all in all, but sure, YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I think I'd prefer a less laggy phone with slightly slower data, all in all, but sure, YMMV.
    Not sure what kind of HSPA+ you've seen. Slightly isn't the word for it though lol

WebOSRoundup has some pretty good videos of the comparison of youtube if the OP is still deciding. First 4 vids.

‪veer vs pre 2‬‏ - YouTube
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    I have a Pre 2 unlocked off contract on AT&T and my daughter has a Veer also off contract on AT&T with the exception of size they are veeeeeery close in performance. I would think most younger folk don't mind the small size as much as those who eyes are not what they once were. The other difference is on AT&T the Veer runs on H+ and the Pre 2 runs on 3G.

Good luck
    Veer isnt settling if you ask me. It is an excellent phone I enjoy owning.
    I jumped ship from Sprint, being a Pre- day 1 owner and went with the Veer. It is an awsome phone. I prefer smaller phones and don't like slab phones. I still have my Pre- and it feels so big now. ATT matched BB cost of free and my bill is no higher than what I had with Sprint. Also I get much better coverage than I had with Sprint. I'll always follow WebOS I don't care what carrier I'm on. I've had Palm products since the PalmIII.

Battery life is fantastic.
    Build quality is great.
    It is much faster by far than Pre-.
    Love the 2.0

Saving to get TP. Which to me is the ultimate combo.
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water"
    Chief Brody JAWS
    kenhiraihnl likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast