1.    #1  
    Is that possible, they both run CDMA, right?
    I've read posts from people who know a whole lot more about it than me that it won't work...something to do with the frequency they operate at...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    N to the O.
    Unfortunately, it sounds like they are both CDMA and should work, but it's not quite that simple. Here's a good read on how the frequencies differ: Understanding Cellular Technology and Bands
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    A big issue isn't just the Pre 3, it is the lack of any WebOS phone from Sprint. If there were a WebOS phone that was similar and on Sprint, then a communications board swap(FrankenPre) from the Sprint phone to the one you want might be possible, but you don't have that possibility right now. A WebOS Slab on Sprint for example MIGHT have a comm board that could be swapped into a Pre 3 if you preferred the physical keyboard, but as it is right now, we are all stuck waiting.

Now, on the whole phones being compatible, you have the protocol, but you also have the frequency spectrum that the phone needs to support. T-mobile and AT&T are both "GSM" based networks, but because T-mobile runs 3G at a different frequency and because the AT&T version of 3G isn't the same, 2G works between T-mobile and AT&T, but 3G does not.

All of these "world phones" have the idea that by putting in support for as many different protocol/frequency range into the phone, it would hopefully work fully on every network, but that doesn't always work. To make it worse, you see things where the phone supports 2G at a given frequency, but not 3G, even if the phone DOES talk at the right frequency overall, it has to support the right frequency/protocol combination.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yes it could; however, because of the branding, Sprint ONLY activates Sprint phones. My Pre- roams just fine on Verizion all the time.
    Pre- com board in a pre3? Same as what is done now with the pre2. Would that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by captfire125 View Post
    Pre- com board in a pre3? Same as what is done now with the pre2. Would that work?
    Nope, won't work, different commboards

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Nope, won't work, different commboards

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I may wait for an unlocked Pre 3 and activate it on sprint.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    currently no way to use a non-sprint phone on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    currently no way to use a non-sprint phone on sprint.
    not true but it is very hard to do so.... Any average guy cannot but it is possible, check out the sprintusers forums for more info
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Unfortunately, it sounds like they are both CDMA and should work, but it's not quite that simple. Here's a good read on how the frequencies differ: Understanding Cellular Technology and Bands
    this isnt correct per the op's question though.

you can use a verizon pre2 on sprint.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)