1.    #1  
    OK, so I once again did some research on the difference between the FCC dates and actual release dates, in effort to pin when the Pre 3 might be released.

If anybody still remembers, I did managed to accurately predict May 2010 as the release date of the AT&T Pre Plus, but of course take it with a grain of salt.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...very-soon.html

Here's a table of all posted dates on the FCC and the actual release dates of all the devices:

Legend:

- Submission Date: date the FCC application was submitted
    - External Photos Date: date the external photos doc will be publicly available, it is required for all FCC applications to submit photos of the device
    - Release date: self explanatory

Highlights:

- Euro release dates are usually much earlier than the photo availability date
    - With the exception of the Sprint Pixi, the actual release date never passes the photo date
    - In older devices, the photo date tends to match the actual release, but for newer devices, they tend to release much earlier, by almost a month or two compared to the photo availability date

Based on the conclusion above I'm willing to guess the Pre 3 will launch this year, at least a month before those posted dates, i.e..

- US UMTS Pre 3 around August or September
    - US CDMA Pre 3 around September or October
    - EU UMTS Pre 3 around same time as UMTS Pre 3, August or September.
    - UMTS TouchPad around October or November

Again take all this with a grain of salt, it's just my wild guess.

Source: FCC, PreCentral
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    These dates don't seem to far fetched. Unless HP surprises everyone with an announcement next week, I wouldn't expect a Pre 3 to launch any earlier than August, probably September.

I'm rooting for the Pre 3, but launching it around the same time a new iPhone is expected to drop is crazy. It's June 2009 all over again.
    I see you are going off the dates listed in the EAS search results. However, those dates don't always mean what the EAS search results say they mean. For example, where it says "Date submitted to the FCC," that date is actually usually the date the FCC approved the device, which of course is much later than it was submitted to the FCC from the manufacturer. In the case of O8F-CASG, for example, if you read the confidentiality request letter, you will see that it is actually dated 5/1/2009, which is far earlier than the date of 3/31/2010 given by the EAS search results, and over a year before the external photos were made available.

But, knowing that the "Date submitted to the FCC" field actually contains the FCC approval date does not make the information any less useful.

However, the confidentiality letter in each of the FCC submissions contains the following language:

In additional to above mentioned documents, pursuant to Public Notice DA 04-1705 of the Commission’s policy, in order to comply with the marketing regulations in 47 CFR §2.803 and the importation rules in 47 CFR §2.1204, while ensuring that business sensitive information remains confidential until the actual marketing of newly authorized devices. We are requesting the commission to grant short-term confidentiality request on the following attachments for 180 days from the date of the Grant of Equipment Authorization:

External Photos
    Internal Photos
    Test Setup Photos
    User Manual
    This is boilerplate language, and HTC and Apple actually use pretty much the exact same wording. 180 days is apparently the maximum amount of time a manufacturer is allowed to keep those documents confidential.

So the date of the availability of the external photos is always 180 days after the FCC approves the device, regardless of when the manufacturer submitted it or intends to release it. Obviously as soon as the FCC grants approval, they usually start churning them out at the factory and get them to market before the 180 days is up. But all we can really say is that, sometime between FCC approval and 180 days later, the device will probably hit the market.

BTW, in the case of the highlighted items (O8F-CASC, O8F-PIXEW, O8F-CASG) you either simply looked at the wrong date, or the date listed is not the FCC approval date. For example, the correct submission date for the O8F-CASG (again, according to the EAS search results--actually the approval date) is 11/13/2009. The date you have, 3/31/2010, was merely a Class II Permissive change.

However for the O8F-PIXEW, there's no telling where the "submitted" date is came from. Some of the FCC's test documents for that device date back to Mar '09, far earlier than the 12/31/09 "submitted" date, but since the external photos were available on 1/25/2010, then that would put the actual approval date on 7/29/09.

But we also need to keep in mind that many of these devices were simply minor revisions of earlier devices. For example, the Plus and European versions of the Pixi and Pre were released far more quickly than the original Sprint versions of each. The Sprint Pixi--the very first Pixi--as you noted, was not released until after the 180 days, but following Pixis were released much more quickly. The first Pre barely made the 180-day window, releasing only 10 days earlier.

HP, being a much larger company with more resources at its disposal, was able to release the TouchPad a scant 67 days after the "submitted" date, 113 days before photos will be made available.

So, in a nutshell, this information is only marginally useful. IF the "submitted date" listed for the GSM Pre 3 (4/25) is actually the FCC approval date, then photos should be available on 10/22. IF HP is using the same factories Palm did to make their phones, we may not see the Pre 3 until October. However, if HP flexes its manufacturing muscles, we could see it tomorrow. It's already been 82 days. That's a pretty large window.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    BTW, in the case of the highlighted items (O8F-CASC, O8F-PIXEW, O8F-CASG) you either simply looked at the wrong date, or the date listed is not the FCC approval date. For example, the correct submission date for the O8F-CASG (again, according to the EAS search results--actually the approval date) is 11/13/2009. The date you have, 3/31/2010, was merely a Class II Permissive change.

However for the O8F-PIXEW, there's no telling where the "submitted" date is came from. Some of the FCC's test documents for that device date back to Mar '09, far earlier than the 12/31/09 "submitted" date, but since the external photos were available on 1/25/2010, then that would put the actual approval date on 7/29/09.
    I do know that is the Class II Permissive change. If you look again in my chart, I do have another row for O8F-CASG, but I classified that as the Telcel Pre and have the 11/13/2009. I separated them into two because to the retail market these are two different phones.

The Submission Date is the column in the Summary or Details page of each device. However I do see your point, the submission date of the confidentiality letter for B94HHI29C (TouchPad Wi-Fi) is 4/25/2011 whereas the actual date of the letter is 3/28/2011.

As for PIXEW having old documents, I do have a theory on that, and if anything this proves Sprint was the one behind removing Wi-Fi on the original Pixi. PIXE (Sprint) and PIXEW (Verizon Pre Plus). Palm's original intention was to have Wi-Fi on it, so PIXEW was actually the original one, hence those old documents and was never submitted to the FCC. Sprint then came along and said, "no we don't want Wi-Fi on it", so they released and approved PIXE first, then later gave PIXEW to Verizon.

Anyone want to try sending an email to their Compliance Engineer to see if they can social engineer some info out?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 07/16/2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    When I first read the title of the thread I thought "why am I even clicking on this? Another doofuss, baseless prediction"
    Nice. At least has some supporting data and logic behind it.