Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, the other night when I got home from work, I noticed that my Pre- screen was completely cracked in the top right corner spider webbing halfway down. It already had two 1" cracks at the usb port which I dont use cuz I have like 8 touchstones, thanks to Verizon! $5 each, are they kidding? Anyway, this was my second Pre that was refurbed in November for free with Sprints changed insurance policy, remember the no water damage thing replaces free? Anyway, I remember two months ago I went to a non corporate store and the guy had one Pre- laying around that was pretty beat up itself just planning for when my refurbed Pre will crap out again.

So, I went to that store the next morning after my Pre touchscreen died and it was still there! I also found out Sprint no longer just gave away replacements like back in Novemeber (another policy change). So because the Pre was not in the best of shape, the store owner gave it to me for $80 and ordered a new (refurb) that will come in in a few days. I was tempted to use my upgrade but I just couldn't do it! I could have gotten the Nexus S for $99! or the EVO 3D for 199. Anyway, I'm happy I didn't ruin my upgrade because now I'll have another almost new Pre in a few days and now have more time to WAIT to see what happens with this frickin Pre 3. I am still eleigible for upgrade and can leave Sprint anytime, or I can keep the Pre- patched out the anoose for another year and be perfectly happy. And if nothing happens with Sprint in a year, I'm leaving for the Pre 3 on Verizon or AT&T and pay whatever extra to have a comperable plan.

Did I do the right thing? (If you even read that entire mess of a post.)

Pea Soup
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Just be careful they don't try to stick you with the 10 dollar fee until you actually activating a new phone that isn't part of a warranty situation. They wanted to stick me with 120 bucks a year to go from one Pre to another.
    dulaney22 likes this.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    If you have coverage for your Pre via sprints 7/8$ a month thing- they should get you a new one/refurb free of charge- I just (before I got my pre2) had my Pre worked on when the entire top half poped off for free- always go to a real sprint corporate store when dealing with repair/replacement warrenty work.
    I personally don't know if I could stick it out with Sprint another year. Wife is calling today to officially ETF around a decade of Sprint for me. Happily on AT&T.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    If you have coverage for your Pre via sprints 7/8$ a month thing- they should get you a new one/refurb free of charge- I just (before I got my pre2) had my Pre worked on when the entire top half poped off for free- always go to a real sprint corporate store when dealing with repair/replacement warrenty work.
    I went to a non corporate store the first time and they did the free swap thing, but the guy at this other non corporate Sprint store said that since Sprint changed their policy in October to the free swap if there is no water damage, people were bringing in their phones left and right with cracked screens until Sprint noticed they were losing money, then they changed the policy back. I actually believe the guy.

As far as the dude talking about the $10 charge, are you referring to all new plans that are now 79.99 instead of the 69.99 that I have now? If so, I'm not changing my plan so there shoudl not be a $10 monthly add on. I'm not using my upgrade or changing phones, just using insurance. Believe me, I will look for it on my bill!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    As far as the dude talking about the $10 charge, are you referring to all new plans that are now 79.99 instead of the 69.99 that I have now? If so, I'm not changing my plan so there shoudl not be a $10 monthly add on. I'm not using my upgrade or changing phones, just using insurance. Believe me, I will look for it on my bill!
    Yeah keep an eye for it, a few people have had this problem. At least 1 guy said he couldn't get it taken off. It's the $10 per month per line smartphone charge.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yeah keep an eye for it, a few people have had this problem. At least 1 guy said he couldn't get it taken off. It's the $10 per month per line smartphone charge.
    Exactly. On your 69.99 plan, if you bought a used Evo on eBay and activated it on your account, they'd start charging you an extra ten bucks. Then even if you decided you wanted to go back to your original Pre, you'd have to go ballistic on Sprint to get them to take the 10 dollars off.

If you bought a used Pre off eBay and went to activate it on your account, they'd try to charge you the 10 bucks.

My conversation with the Sprint rep basically was that unless the 'smartphone' you are activating is obtained as part of a warranty replacement transaction (or an insurance replacement), you are subject to paying an extra 120 dollars a year, 'just because'.

In a way, getting a Pre2 instead of a Pre3 on Sprint saves me 120 dollars a year.
    Yup it's because of that that it was cheaper for us to leave rather than stay on Sprint.
    Couple questions, with a family plan is this $10 per phone, or the plan? I am about to replace my daughters Pixi with some Android POS she wanted. If this adds $30 to my plan, this will then make up my mind about what to do about leaving for a PrPrPr&#$275$;$3$.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    It is per line, but I believe it is only when you upgrade that line.
    Really, cause the 2nd line doesn't cost anything right now, the 3rd is $20. So when we all upgrade I will be at around $220. I guess I will be looking at the plans with Verizon and AT&T. What a shame they won't carry the PrPrPr&#$275$;$3$!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    I think you did a good thing. If the Pre 3 comes, it will come next month. Or at least HEAR something. I didn't wait. I just bought an HTC Arrive from Sprint back in May. And I love it so much! But I couldn't wait and I figured I can always get another phone next year (we have a one year upgrade, not sure if you do).

Anyway good luck! Hope you get the Pre 3 or at least a WebOS phone! I'm still waiting for multitasking lol .
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    Really, cause the 2nd line doesn't cost anything right now, the 3rd is $20. So when we all upgrade I will be at around $220. I guess I will be looking at the plans with Verizon and AT&T. What a shame they won't carry the PrPrPr&#$275$;$3$!
    Yeah, if the line has a smartphone on it, even if it's a 2 year old Pre purchased off ebay, it's $10 on that line.

That's what got me pricing ATT n VZW again, we only had 2 lines and don't use a lot of voice, so it ended up being an easy decision. On AT&T 700 minute and higher plans, for $30 you can get unlimited txt and unlimited mobile to any mobile on all family plan lines. Then you just have to figure out where your data usage falls.
    The 10 dollar fee is not supposed to apply for warranty replacements.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I did something similar only I went another route to get there. I bought a nexus s 4g off ebay and used it for a few weeks. I then decided that I missed my Pre so I sold it and bought a frankenpre off ebay. Unfortunately my little android experiment will end up costing me because of the 10 extra/per month bs. I will happily use my frankenpre until I hear somthing definitive about the Pre3. I really do think it will end up on Sprint at some point and I'm not in a huge hurry. It doesn't hurt that I havea brand new touchpad to play with for a while

Now time to call Sprint and try to get that 10 bucks taken off.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    I did something similar only I went another route to get there. I bought a nexus s 4g off ebay and used it for a few weeks. I then decided that I missed my Pre so I sold it and bought a frankenpre off ebay. Unfortunately my little android experiment will end up costing me because of the 10 extra/per month bs. I will happily use my frankenpre until I hear somthing definitive about the Pre3. I really do think it will end up on Sprint at some point and I'm not in a huge hurry. It doesn't hurt that I havea brand new touchpad to play with for a while

Now time to call Sprint and try to get that 10 bucks taken off.

Be careful when you call them. I called to complain about the fee when it showed up on my bill after reactivating my treo. She apologized, said she couldn't remove the charge but offered me a 60-70 dollar credit to offset it for a few months. Then I get a letter stating my plan had changed. She had actually renewed my contract on both lines. I had to call 3-4 times to finally get it taken care of and my contract dates corrected.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    you did the right thing, any time somebody decides against going android they are doing the right thing....

im not under contract and just waiting for which ever comes to sprint first iPhone or PRE3 ...
    iPhone will probably come first.
    I'm a little surprised they can still order new original Pres. Are they still in production or are there still enough left in stock?
    Can someone tell me why the <<mod delete>> at Sprint won't let me get a new Pre-? I pay insurance and everything, but they say that since it has "physical damage" (scratches, broken usb door, power and volume not working sometimes... of course ) I have to run it through insurance and that'll be $100 (no way in hell). I'm seriously <<mod delete>>, what's the whole point of insurance I've been paying for?

Reps at Sprint have been <<mod delete>> me off lately. I must be very uneducated about how this whole insurance deal works. Can someone knowledgeable tell me what I'm doing wrong please?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/18/2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: language
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast