Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    from the This is My Next interview :
    TIMN:Okay, letís move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but youíve got the Pre 3 coming. Itís running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. Youíre encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldnít say itís an older OS. Itís certainly a different OS. We didnít want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said Ďhow do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,í and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So youíre right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, itís not going to run the tablet apps. Thatís how it works on every other phone thatís out there.

TIMN:But youíre still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and weíll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but weíre not going to talk about that now.

TIMN:Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: Weíre not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN:But it will happen?

Jon: No, I havenít even said itís going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now thatís not the plan.
    webOS is fragmenting badly

sidenote: This should end the speculation I've seen on these boards that the Pre3 has been 'delayed'** because HP is working on it to launch with 3.x

**yes, I know a product can't be 'delayed' if there's no official announcement of a date for the launch. Let's not derail this thread.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post

webOS is fragmenting badly
    Um, no.
    LordSecksie and fxspec06 like this.
    I dont think 3.0 is meant for Phones. When the Pre 3 does get a version 3.0, I dont think its going to just be exactly like the TouchPad.
    ilovedessert, Rnp and fxspec06 like this.
    i guess you dont have to worry about waiting for 3.0 anymore
    It's fragmented in the sense that developers will have to continue targeting two different application frameworks for much longer than we originally thought. Considering how difficult it seems to be for HP to attract developers in general, telling the ones that have bought in "hey, we have two different SDKs for you" is poison.
    chalx and clevin like this.
    2.X = Phones.
    3.X = Tablets.

2.X will be able to run enyo apps with a framework.

Not fragmented at all.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    I wonder if this means we'll still have to buy 2 versions of same app, that won't talk to each other? That might clinch it for me...
    either way, Ruby comes off as a jerk. Can't believe they still put him in front of microphones.
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    2.X = Phones.
    3.X = Tablets.

2.X will be able to run enyo apps with a framework.

Not fragmented at all.
    TIMN:But youíre still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and weíll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but weíre not going to talk about that now.
    That certainly sounds like he's saying developers should still be working on Mojo apps.
    chalx likes this.
    I'm glad to know this. With what developers there are being encouraged to develop for the Touchpad, and there being no timeline for convergence, it shows me that the Pre 3 will have worse app support than the Pre. My decision gets easier every day.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    they really should of talked about his demotion. that would be more interesting than anything he has to say about webos
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That certainly sounds like he's saying developers should still be working on Mojo apps.
    Maybe the "making it easier" is referring to enyo?
    Everyone knows Ruby is a moron, he is being very vague (like always). He doesn't specify what "in the future" is, though I think it will be within a few months that 2.x will get a enyo framework.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Maybe the "making it easier" is referring to enyo?
    I would assume so but we know how all things webOS turn out when we aren't given timeframes.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I wonder if this means we'll still have to buy 2 versions of same app, that won't talk to each other? That might clinch it for me...
    either way, Ruby comes off as a jerk. Can't believe they still put him in front of microphones.
    Same on iOS, the iPad versions are separate from the iPhone and you have to purchase a new app if you want a full screen experience.

My guess is that Ares will have a feature to export as phone/touchpad at some point making it easier.

Unclear is enyo will come to 2.x though, wouldn't be surprised though.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Same on iOS, the iPad versions are separate from the iPhone and you have to purchase a new app if you want a full screen experience.
    Not true.

It's up to the developer to choose how they want their application(s) distributed. They can develop and sell two separate applications for the iPhone and iPad or they can bundle both the iPad and iPhone version into one package that's available for one purchase for both devices (which most do).
    StuckwVerizon and chalx like this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I was told directly by one of the HP webOS developers that the Pre3 and really any webOS 2.x phone would be capable of running apps built using Enyo. They cited that many of the Pre3 stock apps were already Enyo apps. So it's safe to assume that developers should be able to build Enyo apps that will run on Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad. Where things might get a little more difficult, and what Ruby may speaking to so poorly, is in the PDK/hybrid space.
    Considering Enyo is nothing more than a JavaScript framework it should be fully compatible with all webOS branches; what wouldn't be compatible though are the lower level service calls (that are OS branch specific) that an application might use.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not true.

It's up to the developer to choose how they want their application(s) distributed. They can develop and sell two separate applications for the iPhone and iPad or they can bundle both the iPad and iPhone version into one package that's available for one purchase for both devices (which most do).
    Can do this with the touchpad too. It was recently announced that you can have multiple versions of an app in one ipk, the correct version will download to the device. Developer decides how is licenced.
    The big difference is iOS developers use the same Cocoa Touch framework to write their iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch apps. webOS developers have been told Enyo is what they should be targeting and now it turns out they still need to work with Mojo if they want to target phones.
    StuckwVerizon, chalx and clevin like this.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The big difference is iOS developers use the same Cocoa Touch framework to write their iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch apps. webOS developers have been told Enyo is what they should be targeting and now it turns out they still need to work with Mojo if they want to target phones.
    Most phones are running 1.4.5, so Mojo will remain the target for phones for quite a while.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast