Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I wonder what Rubinstein meant by this, then.
    Probably that for now, 2.x is for phones and 3.x will be for tablets. At some distant point in time, there will come a new OS that won't be split. Considering all the promises that have been made over the years, it also means that he couldn't design a fully connected ecosystem where it doesn't matter if you are on a tablet or phone, and things should work, within reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Probably that for now, 2.x is for phones and 3.x will be for tablets. At some distant point in time, there will come a new OS that won't be split. Considering all the promises that have been made over the years, it also means that he couldn't design a fully connected ecosystem where it doesn't matter if you are on a tablet or phone, and things should work, within reason.
    Right, but the key issue is Mojo vs Enyo. Rubinstein is saying

TIMN: But youre still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and well do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but were not going to talk about that now.
    Everyone from Rod to Dieter is interpreting that as meaning "continue writing Mojo apps if you want to release them for the Pre 3."
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    I will talk slowly, so you can understand:

HP ... has ... 2 ... completely ... incompatible ... and ... different ... development ... frameworks. The HP Touchpad ... uses ... Enyo. The Veer and the Pre 3 ... Mojo.
    I will speak at a normal tone..

Enyo will Be on pre3 at launch.
    Hp already has gesture recognition available in enyo..

Pre3 will launch with Enyo on 2.3 .. Veer & pre2 will follow suit.

at least there are normal discussions to be had with other people in this thread.

I refuse to participate anymore in this thread...

PC has turned in a free for all..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by sketch42; 07/17/2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Here's the thing: HP could clear this up so easily by saying "yes, the Pre 3 will support Enyo apps at launch" or "no, the Pre 3 will only support Mojo apps at launch." Their lack of interest in sending out a concise message to clear this up just blows my mind.

I mean, when Rod (the founder of webOS Internals) and Dieter (who is involved with a high ranking member of the Developer Relations team) aren't sure what's going on...
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I will speak at a normal tone.. <mod edit>

Enyo will Be on pre3 at launch.
    Hp already has gesture recognition available in enyo..

Pre3 will launch with Enyo on 2.3 .. Veer & pre2 will follow suit.
    I recommend you reading the interview.

And Nappy's comment:

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Everyone from Rod to Dieter is interpreting that as meaning "continue writing Mojo apps if you want to release them for the Pre 3."
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 07/17/2011 at 08:19 PM.
    let's relax and stop arguing. Thank you.
    Something else to consider: Rod's tweets from a few nights ago indicate there is no Enyo SDK for the Pre 3.
    augustofretes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    let's relax and stop arguing. Thank you.
    I Updated my post above

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by sketch42; 07/18/2011 at 12:24 AM.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    I've learned not to pay too much attention to what Rubenstein says. He is a politician of sorts. He can talk for ever and not say anything or say everything depending on each person's perception. Clearly he has either misled, been intentionally vague, or moved away from previous comments in the past. Now that he is moving to a different role (one, in my opinion he is much better suited for), I'm even less likely to listen to his comments regarding webos phone development. Let's just wait and see what happens.

IMHO, the Pre 3 is too little too late any way and I'm waiting for the Pre 4. The specs for the Pre 3 are already outdated and noncompetitive. Not anything to get developers too excited. But I could be wrong.
    All for One and One for All!
    i don't know developer stuff. I don't know what enjo and mojo is and don't care to honestly. But seems to me. If HP is saying build for 3.0, but can't tell me when 3.0 is going to be on a phone, i'm not building for 3.0. I'd just build for the old until they could give me a concrete answer and that it would happen in a reasonable time. I wouldn't spend the effort. That seems like a problem for me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i don't know developer stuff. I don't know what enjo and mojo is and don't care to honestly. But seems to me. If HP is saying build for 3.0, but can't tell me when 3.0 is going to be on a phone, i'm not building for 3.0.
    Um... so maybe it would be a good idea to first get to know the subject you're commenting on before making a comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by naranek View Post
    Um... so maybe it would be a good idea to first get to know the subject you're commenting on before making a comment?
    yeah like i have to be a developer to know that there are people holding off making apps. They said as much as soon as they said pre minus' wouldn't get upgraded.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah like i have to be a developer to know that there are people holding off making apps. They said as much as soon as they said pre minus' wouldn't get upgraded.
    No, but it would help to be a developer to understand that webOS 3.0 and Enyo are two separate entities. One is the OS, the other is a programming framework. Enyo can be made to work on an webOS 2.x and 3.0.
    naranek and diodo314 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    No, but it would help to be a developer to understand that webOS 3.0 and Enyo are two separate entities. One is the OS, the other is a programming framework. Enyo can be made to work on an webOS 2.x and 3.0.
    But you don't have to be a developer to be confused with Jon's interview
    Anyway, I'm not developer too, but point of this tread is that no one knows when Enyo will be introduced to webOS 2.X, so devs indeed have to choose frameworks as SnotBoogie posted? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    But you don't have to be a developer to be confused with Jon's interview
    Anyway, I'm not developer too, but point of this tread is that no one knows when Enyo will be introduced to webOS 2.X, so devs indeed have to choose frameworks as SnotBoogie posted? Right?
    Jon's interviews rarely seem to truly say anything these days.

As far as picking a framework, I would have to assume that the drive will be towards Enyo. Of course, if you are careful, you can develop a Mojo app that will run just fine on the TouchPad. You just need to make sure you know what does and does not work in the emulator that Enyo uses. I haven't actually looked at the Enyo SDK, so I don't know what the deal is, confusion-wise, but all the early talk was that the phones were getting Enyo shortly after the TouchPad. I haven't heard anything else that changes that. I think Jon was talking about webOS 3.0 itself. Converging the phones and tablets to both run on a 3.x version may be what he is saying hasn't yet been decided.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    HP gearing up for Pre3 apps; Early Access emulator coming this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Precentral
    HP has quietly backed away from their February declaration of support for Enyo apps on the Pre3 and webOS 2.2. Right now, its looking like support for Enyo apps on the Pre3 wont be available at launch, though its possible it could come at a later point.
    they bassically stagnated software development for their webos phones by telling devs to start developing apps on enyo....
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Enyo support to be present in webOS 2.2 on the HP Pre3

Quote Originally Posted by Precentral
    As HP noted when accepting app submissions, they planned to push out an updated Pre3 emulator this week. According to reports coming out of the Early Access Program, the webOS 2.2 emulator was made available last night, and it has support for Enyo. That Enyo support is for version 1.0, which comes with the same rough edges as Enyo 1.0 on the TouchPad.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456