Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I am still going to get one, but if the wait goes into October, I may end up waiting until December, January, or February when the prices drop down to $50 with two year contract, rather than $200 with two year contract. Why pay the price of a top-end phone for hardware that should have been released over six months earlier?
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post

Meanwhile all the suff that makes WebOS great is being copied by Android and IOS. Just the other day Apple applied for a patent on a feature that is more advanced the TTS.

[url= Patent Reveals iPhone, iPad File-Sharing System[/url]
    I don't understand why Apple copying TTS and adding sound effects while requiring you to hold the phone in a certain way in order to TTS is 'more advanced', but I suppose it has something to do with the Apple logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    But then iOS is fragmented, because the iPhone and iPad have each own apps. Developers have to develop for the iPhone, and have to develop for the iPad.
    The development SDK is exactly the same across both devices, you code just like you would for an iPhone when you code for an iPad 2. While WebOS is (seriously) fragmented, since Mojo and Enyo are nothing alike. Adding troubles is the fact that:

WebOS 1.3.x
    Palm Pre (Mexico)

WebOS 1.4.x
    Palm Pre
    Palm Pre+
    Palm Pixi
    Palm Pixi+

WebOS 2.0
    Palm Pre+ (some carriers)
    Palm Pre 2 (some carriers)

WebOS 2.1
    HP Pre 2

WebOS 2.2
    HP Veer

WebOS 2.3
    HP Pre 3 ("In the coming months")

WebOS 3.0
    HP Touchpad
    Dieter Bohn likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    The development SDK is exactly the same across both devices, you code just like you would for an iPhone when you code for an iPad 2. While WebOS is (seriously) fragmented, since Mojo and Enyo are nothing alike. Adding troubles is the fact that:

WebOS 1.3.x
    Palm Pre (Mexico)

WebOS 1.4.x
    Palm Pre
    Palm Pre+
    Palm Pixi
    Palm Pixi+

WebOS 2.0
    Palm Pre+ (some carriers)
    Palm Pre 2 (some carriers)

WebOS 2.1
    HP Pre 2

WebOS 2.2
    HP Veer

WebOS 2.3
    HP Pre 3 ("In the coming months")

WebOS 3.0
    HP Touchpad
    If Enyo is released for WebOS 2.2.x or 2.3, that will eliminate a lot of issues, but, if WebOS 2.1 runs fine on the Pre plus(which we know it does), then there is very little excuse not to just release that update....just tell AT&T that since the product has an EOL date of 7/18/2011, they feel that it is appropriate to provide the latest update for that device to all users who have enough knowledge to run the WebOS Doctor. If 2.2 or 2.3 can handle Enyo, then chances are, 2.0 and 2.1 can as well, or could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If Enyo is released for WebOS 2.2.x or 2.3, that will eliminate a lot of issues, but, if WebOS 2.1 runs fine on the Pre plus(which we know it does), then there is very little excuse not to just release that update....just tell AT&T that since the product has an EOL date of 7/18/2011, they feel that it is appropriate to provide the latest update for that device to all users who have enough knowledge to run the WebOS Doctor. If 2.2 or 2.3 can handle Enyo, then chances are, 2.0 and 2.1 can as well, or could.
    Could be the case. However, truth is the situation right now is just as I described it.

Enyo can't be released for WebOS 2.2, rather, it should be included in WebOS 2.3. I think the HP Veer will be eventually updated to it. But I highly doubt they will update the Pre+, in fact, I'm not even sure about the Pre 2.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/16/2011 at 10:11 PM.
    I think my veer will be my last webos phone for now. I'll see how the pre 3 & the apps development shakes out before taking the plung.
    I, too, have my doubts about the Pre+ getting 2.3. It got 2.1 so it had a major update, I think that'll be it...

Not that people on Android who got stuck on 1.x or who never got to 2.3 from 2.1 would complain about such a thing...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I, too, have my doubts about the Pre+ getting 2.3. It got 2.1 so it had a major update, I think that'll be it...

Not that people on Android who got stuck on 1.x or who never got to 2.3 from 2.1 would complain about such a thing...
    It didn't get it on every carrier, which is why there is so much fragmentation in the WebOS world. If the Pre/Pre Plus on all carriers has 2.1, that would really have helped unify the development community since apps would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I Honestly dont see the fragmentation.. ALL HP Smartphone Products are running 2.x ... ALL HP Tablets are Running 3.x

ALL NON HP Products are Running 1.4.5

NON HP Products
    PALM Pre "Classic" 1.4.5
    PALM Pre Plus 1.4.5
    PALM Pixi "Classic" 1.4.5
    PALM Pixi Plus 1.4.5

Source

*HP Pre 2 CDMA 2.0.1
    *HP Pre 2 GSM 2.1
    *HP Veer 2.1.1
    *HP Pre 3 GSM 2.3

*Upgradeable to 3.0 (smartphone version)
    Source
    Source 2
    Source 3

*HP Touchpad (16GB, 32GB, 64GB) 3.0
    Again..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Again..

O2 in Europe got WebOS Doctors for WebOS 2.1 officially at this point, even though it wasn't an OTA update.
    Again..

Again... the problem is the development frameworks are nothing alike (mojo vs enyo). You can choose to blindfold yourself. But the problem is there.
    3.0 is just a number. Who cares what number the phone has. As long as it works. Also 3.0 for the phone will not look anything like a tablet so who cares.
    It is not just a number. Now largest user base is stucked at 1.4.5 which doesent support some features introduced in 2.0 which again doesent support some features in 2.1. Also, there is 3.0 with new framework. If you are developer, which group would you target for your new app?
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Again... the problem is the development frameworks are nothing alike (mojo vs enyo). You can choose to blindfold yourself. But the problem is there.
    The point is there are NO palm products as far as hp is concerned..

This is the reality..

When a co. Buys another co. They strip it down to its useful parts and integrate it into its own strategy..

The argument of bringing 1.4.5 into the mix, is a non argument , as hp has nothing and never ha anything to do with 1.4.5 or anything prior.

PALM is DEAD.

And so are palms products.. Deal with it.

HP webOS is alive an right now they are encouraging all developers to code in Enyo.

All HP phones WILL support Enyo. Once Enyo is introduced into one phone (pre3) the rest will trickle in..

But palm phones will NEVER see enyo.

3.0 for Smartphones will show up on all HP smartphones .

So stop with the FUD & realize that there is NO fragmentation within HP products.

I wonder what Rubinstein meant by this, then.

TIMN:But it will happen?

Jon: No, I haven’t even said it’s going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now that’s not the plan.
    I think it mean, in years to come
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I wonder what Rubinstein meant by this, then.
    Regardless of what ruby states carefully.. All is meant is it's not happening now or in the next few months.. HP has it on all their developer pages that it will come, its all a matter of changing a digit..

What do you think 3.0 means??
    If you think its what's running on tablets.. Than you need to expand your thinking

Case in point.. Google said Honeycomb is NOT coming to smartphones, but their is a vers. Of honeycomb (not called honeycomb) coming..

Figure that out and you have your answer

All HP phones WILL support Enyo. Once Enyo is introduced into one phone (pre3) the rest will trickle in..
    [...]
    The concern is we've seen this story before.

1. Community assumes there will be a non-fragmented platform with updates for all.
    2. Palm confirms that assumption with promises
    3. Palm executives make slippery statements that are unclear but point to backtracking on 1 &2.
    4. It turns out that, no, those updates aren't coming after all and the platform is fragmenting, making life more difficult for both users and developers.

We've seen 1-4 for webOS 2.0 for Palm devices. So far, we are looking at 1, 2, AND 3 for both Enyo and webOS 3.x on Veer and Pre 3.

I'd like to believe that you're right and we won't see step 4 this time and that the shift from Palm leadership to HP leadership is a reason to believe history won't repeat itself.

....But in the meantime I'm not going to hold my breath. HP needs to provide developers with an SDK that's fully and clearly compatible with the Pre3 AND clarify what the Enyo framework will look like on phones, ASAP.
    If Enyo is mere way for upscaling or downscaling apps, I say forget it. If it's a way for easy creating an app with different visual elements - one for small screens, and other for large screens than OK. On TP, more and more apps are using sliding panes, which cannot be used on small screens etc.
    Anyway, current state is a mess, and no denying about this.
    I almost feel like we have to draw up a flowchart to visually explain the branching development paths.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast