Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    It's a shame here. There is no good reason why gestures can't be implemented in 3.0. It's one thing if your hardware doesn't support it (TP). If the hardware is there to do it 3.0 should support it. This whole thing with the phones getting a lesser os upgrade then the tablets is embarrassing. You really have to ask the question are the people at HP up to the challenge? At this point i'd have to say NO!

Meanwhile all the suff that makes WebOS great is being copied by Android and IOS. Just the other day Apple applied for a patent on a feature that is more advanced the TTS.

Apple Patent Reveals iPhone, iPad File-Sharing System

While HP dawdles, their competition not only meets but is now surpassing them on core ideas here. Really makes you wonder <<mod delete>> they thinking of.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/15/2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    It's a shame here. There is no good reason why gestures can't be implemented in 3.0. It's one thing if your hardware doesn't support it (TP). If the hardware is there to do it 3.0 should support it. This whole thing with the phones getting a lesser os upgrade then the tablets is embarrassing. You really have to ask the question are the people at HP up to the challenge? At this point i'd have to say NO!

Meanwhile all the suff that makes WebOS great is being copied by Android and IOS. Just the other day Apple applied for a patent on a feature that is more advanced the TTS.

[url= Patent Reveals iPhone, iPad File-Sharing System[/url]

While HP dawdles, their competition not only meets but is now surpassing them on core ideas here. Really makes you wonder <<mod delete>> are they thinking of.
    I don't have a Touchpad, but from what I've read, you just have to enable gestures(they are disabled by default I guess).
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/15/2011 at 07:58 PM.
    i don't know about enabling gestures. Pretty sure the only one is the up gesture, and that was an afterthought. Hope they think some more cause this is very disappointing.
    Why is Rubenstein still giving interviews about Palm?

No competitor has hurt Palm as much as he has. They don't need to advertise against Palm, just get Jon to open his mouth...or let him chose the advertising campaign.
    Targon, Rnp, jimijames and 2 others like this.
    Why is Rubenstein still giving interviews about Palm?
    "When you cannot say something good, you have to say nothing!" - Adage

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This is HP/Palm pur sang.

Every bit of information is shared on a strict need-to-know basis, and according to HP/Palm the end-customer does not need to know anything.
    Ironically that's the Apple way. Remember the OS Airlines joke?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The important point is not if the phone OS will be called webOS 3, webOS 3.454 or webOS Pizza with pepperoni. The thing is will the Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3 have the enyo framework? All of them? None of them? In a few weeks? In some months? In a few years? Never?
    Rubinstein did not make it very clear and has caused yet another turmoil in the small but extremely faithful webOS community.
    We sit and wait for some news that will make us more optimistic about the future of our OS and everytime Jon speaks we get mixed (at the best) feelings and many frustrations.
    I just hope the new guy (whose answers were better I must say) will be better and I just hope HP is not crazy enough to give more importance to their pad and forget about the phones.
    TIMN: I’m glad you brought up the TouchPad 4G. The PRPRPR $says$ $this$ $device$ $has$ $a$ $faster$ $CPU$ $than$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $you$ $just$ $released$ $to$ $consumers$. $Can$ $you$ $explain$ $why$ $there$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $difference$ $between$ $this$ $new$ $product$, $and$ $the$ $one$ $that$ $was$ $released$ $about$ $two$ $weeks$ $ago$? $Why$ $the$ $spec$ $difference$?

Jon: Because we can.

TIMN: Well, if I went out and bought the TouchPad, and then 14 days later I hear there’s a new one with a faster CPU, I would feel a little burned by HP.

Jon: C’mon Josh, recognize first of all that it’s not available 14 days later.
    with every interview Ruby does, he manages to appear to be a bigger jerk each time.

for a guy that hasn't had much success with mobile devices in the past few years, he sure is arrogant.

DeWitt, on the other hand, seems like a genuinely cool guy.
    I didn't think that came out as jerk. I found the "Because we can" quite amusing.

And the latter point is valid too. There's always something better (as in with newer technology) announced when any device hits the market.

My take on the whole processor take is that it's about availability. They couldn't get their hands on the faster processor at the time of the TouchPad even if they wanted to, but the processor was available later for the 4G.

Jon says that Itís a processor yield issue. and They are binned at different speeds.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The problem with your posts is that you seemed to have been assuming that webOS 3.0=Enyo. They are, in fact, two completely separate entities. Enyo is the forward going application framework for 2.x and 3.x. While webOS 3.x is webOS redesigned for use on tablets. Let go of the notion that they are somehow tied. Ruby was probably talking about developing tools to make it even easier to write the app once and not have to worry about having any right sized icons/text/images/et al. It has already been stated that 2.x phones will support Enyo going forward. I imagine a Veer update will provide Enyo and Touch-to-Share when the Pre 3 is released.
    +1 Good Post.
    Quote Originally Posted by naranek View Post
    I didn't think that came out as jerk. I found the "Because we can" quite amusing.

And the latter point is valid too. There's always something better (as in with newer technology) announced when any device hits the market.

My take on the whole processor take is that it's about availability. They couldn't get their hands on the faster processor at the time of the TouchPad even if they wanted to, but the processor was available later for the 4G.

Jon says that Itís a processor yield issue. and They are binned at different speeds.
    I thought it was the same processor and just different clock speeds?

was that theory debunked?

if not, certainly blows the "because we can" argument out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I don't have a Touchpad, but from what I've read, you just have to enable gestures(they are disabled by default I guess).
    With the absence of a dedicated gesture area, I didn't think swipe up for card view existed on TouchPad/webOS 3. It does. Haven't been able to experiment extensively, but seems to require the application to support it.

I miss the ability to swipe between apps without having to go through card view, but when you have many apps running at the same time, going to card view mode might be more efficient.

Frankly, I think HP needs to revisit this part of the UI. Stacking cards was a good idea, but I think it works better in theory than reality. I'd like to see a variation of X Windows multiple "desktop" capability. Each tabbed desktop would have active cards on it, making movement between related activities within a desktop a simple swipe up to desktop view, then tap the appropriate card. Moving between desktops would involve tapping the appropriate desktop tab. This interface would be almost identical to the way the launcher works.
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's fragmented in the sense that developers will have to continue targeting two different application frameworks for much longer than we originally thought. Considering how difficult it seems to be for HP to attract developers in general, telling the ones that have bought in "hey, we have two different SDKs for you" is poison.
    But then iOS is fragmented, because the iPhone and iPad have each own apps. Developers have to develop for the iPhone, and have to develop for the iPad. Developers have to develop for the Pre 3, and for the TouchPad. Although in WebOS terms, the numbers on each side is a bit small so it comes at is it worth developing two apps for? And considering Pre 3 apps work for the TouchPad, just aren't optimized for the larger screen.

And it must be noted, the Pre 3 might get 3.x at some point, or rather smaller form factors such as smart phones. "You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon." (Jon Ruby) That means at some point in the future the two OS's will be one, just not anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Wow you are absolutely right. So lets consider the alternatives on other platforms. I guess it should be no problem to run honeycomb games on your Evo3d. Better yet, how about running ipadHD games on your iphone4!!
    You are missing my point. I'm talking about the number of apps, not whether they will run across multiple platforms. Reading through this thread, even ardent existing platform developers aren't sure what they're going to do. How is this going to attract new to the platform developers?

P.S. Not everyone here is on Sprint.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    All good posts from most of us except some are blaming Ruby for nothing. Here is my .02 .
    HP has few ways to do "Code once use it on multiple devices". But they have not decided yet. Hence Ruby's vague answers.

I can see HP is looking into the below issues before doing the code once deploy on multiple gadgets thing.

• webOS eventually will be put on 2.8 inch, 3.5, 7 Inch, 10 inch and may be 5 inch ( for printers) so HP needs to provide a mechanism for developers to use a single framework for doing this on multiple screen sizes ( this includes Fridges and Toasters too ).

• The gesture area is available on phones but not on tablets, HP has to decide how they want it going forward across all devices. This feature has significant impact on the frame work. Why ? because we have to use a "Back" button instead of a swipe.

• Layout and controls for a touch screen keyboard for a 4 inch and 7 inch ( I am expecting them to release an all touchscreen phone). The three layered email pane is a good example. How do you manage it in single frame work.

• Support for Hybrid/PDK apps that will be coded for tablet and phone versions among other gadgets.

And the most important of all

How do you support webOS on a PC.

Folks who say Ruby doesn't know anything are ignorant. webOS was done on phone, and its done on Tablet. We all know that it can eventually be on all gadgets for developers to code once.

The question we need to ask is how long it takes ? The answer in Ruby's words is we don't know. What we know is that they will be releasing three more gadgets apart from Pre3.

So , my guess would be one more year before we see one version of webOS for phones/tablets/toasters ( based on how long it took for them to do the webOS 3.0 on tablet).
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I am 100% Veer will never see light of the day with webOS 3. Unless they play number game and decide to start naming 2.X as 3.X

Excuse will probably be the same as with the Pre and Pixi, not enough horsepower. If that was really the concern (which was not since 2.0 for those devices was ready long time ago) they could have easily made 1.5 with all the user features of 2.0 like voicedialing, favorites, stacking, exhibition and blue dialer without touching anything under the hood but they opted not to.
    emceesquared likes this.
    Hmmm....seems to me Ruby seemed a bit angry in this disucssion. I wonder if his recent "shift" had anything to do with this <cough> tirade?
    This whole thing with webOS becomes more and more hilarious day by day. If nothing else, it's good to check boards for pure amusement.
    augustofretes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    This whole thing with webOS becomes more and more hilarious day by day. If nothing else, it's good to check boards for pure amusement.
    No kidding. It's turned into trainwreckcentral.net.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    cnote1287 likes this.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Is this going to change anyone's mind about purchasing the Pre 3...whenever it is released? I still want one. The sooner the better however. This whole delay thing is intriguing albeit annoying.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast