Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poploser View Post
    Rubenstein comes off like a real know-it-all jerk in that interview.
    And he doesn't tell anyone ANYTHING that might give us hope. Feb 9th was a long time ago now, and they are not talking about the Pre 3, which is the device that SHOULD have gotten them a LOT of WebOS customers if it were launched quickly. Instead, we are here waiting, and the potential customer base for tablets is tiny compared to the potential customer base for the Pre 3.

I suspect that if they sold the Pre 3 back in March/April with the announced specs, there would have been a fair number of sales. Touch to Share would have encouraged those with a Pre 3 to buy the tablet, and those buying the tablet might pick up a Pre 3 for TTS. Now, we have a feature that means nothing due to no phones that support TTS, and HP isn't saying a word about THAT failure.

<<mod delete>> In the coming months....HP should withhold his paycheck and say he will be paid in the coming months once ANYTHING he has claimed to work on actually shows up.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/14/2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: rude comment
    Tikkanen and silverSnipe like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Has HP indicated that the Pre 3 will ship with support for Enyo apps?
    yes.. They have ... Please refer to my post here

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...56#post3031556

This snippet in particular

The HP TouchPad and Pre3 are scheduled to arrive this summer. With the introduction of these devices, HP also introduces our development library, Enyo. Enyo is the next step in the evolution of scalable, easy to use JavaScript libraries, and is designed to help you take advantage of the capabilities of the broadest range of webOS devices. We've made writing apps easier than with Mojo, yet the framework is much lighter.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    nope... you where suggesting that hp wants devs to continue support for Mojo.. but the getting ready basically says abandon mojo and go for enyo development
    Not according to Rod's interpretation: https://twitter.com/webosinternals/s...06228597735424

Reading bit.ly/mojo-and-enyo again, it actually does say to continue to use Mojo for Veer and Pre 3, and does not promise Enyo.
    So Ruby's comments are in line with that Feb webOS developer blog post. No webOS 3.0 on phones, developers should continue to use Mojo.
    In fact, bit.ly/mojo-and-enyo puts the Pre 3 in "current generation" with the Veer, and only TouchPad in "next generation" for Enyo.
    Me personally, I don't even know where to begin. I'm confused as the rest. It seems like HP keeps back-pedaling in what they initially said. If I had to guess, things aren't panning out the way they had hoped (or expected) with Enyo regarding its ability to span across tablets and phones and are now trying to figure out what to do.
    Last edited by barkerja; 07/14/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not according to Rod's interpretation: https://twitter.com/webosinternals/s...06228597735424
    I just pointed rod to the other post... So we'll see

Part of me wants to go with what Rubinstein said just because it's more recent information that what's on HP's developer relations site. Another part of me remembers how little Rubinstein knows about his own products and now I'm just confused.
    Here's a question we should all be asking: do developers currently have access to a SDK that's Enyo based and not TouchPad specific? Aka: for the Pre 3.

I would assume so if the Pre 3 is so close to launching. If not, I think we have our answer (at least for the near future).
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, now I'm really confused cuz on the dev page it states that the pre3 will carry enyo support. Dont tell me this stupid delay is because they cant figure out how to run enyo on the phone =\
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Here's a question we should all be asking: do developers currently have access to a SDK that's Enyo based and not TouchPad specific? Aka: for the Pre 3.

I would assume so if the Pre 3 is so close to launching. If not, I think we have our answer (at least for the near future).
    Rod just tweeted this to Dieter:

webosinternals WebOS Internals
    @
    @backlon Yet there is no reply to questions on when Enyo will be available on Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3 ...
    14 minutes ago
    That, coupled with some of the other tweets he's sent out tonight, makes me think the answer to your question is no.
    Wow, as a beginning developer, I'm kinda stunned. My guess is that the interview means Enyo is likely coming to the phones, but not anytime soon. Which is a shame, because from what I can tell, Enyo is superior. So don't expect Enyo on the Pre 3 at launch. That's what this interview meant. But man, this is a really confusing message.

I think everything is just taking a lot longer than they expected. The vision and the execution are not in sync. And they are drastically underestimating how long it will take to do things, over estimating how well things will run, and under estimating the degree to which we are all paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Um, no.
    Really? At this point there are at least 3 different versions of the OS (possibly more). There is no substantitive evidence that the Pre 3 and Veer and Pre 2 will be running the same OS at Pre 3 launch. I love webOS, but the Veer and Pre 2 need to be on 2.2 yesterday (with TTS and messaging forwarding) and they all need to be on 3.0 when the Pre 3 is released. What good is having new apps developed if they only work on 1/6th of your products?
    yes.. They have ... Please refer to my post here

Rubenstein: Pre3 OS not getting 3.x anytime soon - Page 2 - PreCentral Forums

This snippet in particular

The HP TouchPad and Pre3 are scheduled to arrive this summer. With the introduction of these devices, HP also introduces our development library, Enyo. Enyo is the next step in the evolution of scalable, easy to use JavaScript libraries, and is designed to help you take advantage of the capabilities of the broadest range of webOS devices. We've made writing apps easier than with Mojo, yet the framework is much lighter.

That snippet doesn't say the Pre 3 will support the Enyo framework, it just says Enyo will be introduced, which it was with the TouchPad.

EDIT: Upon clicking the link and reading your post: The impression I have gotten (I'm not a developer) from HP is that any new apps should be written in Enyo because soon (how soon?) the currently supported devices will all run 3.x. This was said at the Think Beyond Event and I don't think anything has changed. We all need to accept the fact that Rubinstein does not interview well and in this interview made it seem as if 3.x wouldn't come to phones, when it has been said several times it will.
    Last edited by pavvento; 07/14/2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Rod just tweeted this to Dieter:

That, coupled with some of the other tweets he's sent out tonight, makes me think the answer to your question is no.
    Yes but rod also retweeted my tweet stating enyo IS coming to the pre3..

Its very easy to make sense of everything.. I don't get the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    That snippet doesn't say the Pre 3 will support the Enyo framework, it just says Enyo will be introduced, which it was with the TouchPad.

EDIT: Upon clicking the link and reading your post: The impression I have gotten (I'm not a developer) from HP is that any new apps should be written in Enyo because soon (how soon?) the currently supported devices will all run 3.x. This was said at the Think Beyond Event and I don't think anything has changed. We all need to accept the fact that Rubinstein does not interview well and in this interview made it seem as if 3.x wouldn't come to phones, when it has been said several times it will.
    That whole page is refering to device launches..

Notice it doesn't mention enyo for veer.

Veer launched with Mojo support
    Pre3 will launch with Enyo support on 2.3
    TP launched with Enyo & 3.0

All HP smartphones will converge to smartphone vers. Of 3.0 ..

That whole page is refering to device launches..

Notice it doesn't mention enyo for veer.

Veer launched with Mojo support
    Pre3 will launch with Enyo support on 2.3
    TP launched with Enyo & 3.0

All HP smartphones will converge to smartphone vers. Of 3.0 ..

If that's the case why didn't Rubinstein say that? Unfortunately there are only two conclusions:

1. HP overestimated how far they would come with getting Enyo support for phones from when that article was posted/other interviews were given.

2. Rubinstein really is an absolute horrible spokesperson and can't clearly communicate information.

I really hope it is the latter, and that he doesn't speak for webOS anymore.
    Rod seems to believe it's the former:

@singmajesty That is exactly the reason why I personally use HTML, C and Mojo only for my apps. No clear committed Enyo plan.
    2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    And Rod just raised the same question I asked earlier: https://twitter.com/webosinternals/s...48944618598400

If the Pre 3 is not going to have webOS 3.x, where is the beta 2.x SDK for it for developers to develop against?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    If that's the case why didn't Rubinstein say that? Unfortunately there are only two conclusions:

1. HP overestimated how far they would come with getting Enyo support for phones from when that article was posted/other interviews were given.

2. Rubinstein really is an absolute horrible spokesperson and can't clearly communicate information.

I really hope it is the latter, and that he doesn't speak for webOS anymore.
    I don't think ruby needs to state info that's already available..

However the only valid argument I see is the one that barkerja points out in rods tweet..

The only thing I can answer is that since its enyo anyway it doesn't matter 2.x or 3.x sdk ..

But that answer only works if Pre3 is NOT going to have a gesture area.. Unless palm has already given devs a way to implement gestures in Enyo..

But that answer only works if Pre3 is NOT going to have a gesture area.. Unless palm has already given devs a way to implement gestures in Enyo..
    ENYO can recognise back gestures.

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...on-events.html
    kill_dano and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    umm why are we interviewing this guy anymore? ...
    because he is the engineer, the wizard which, with his team, did create the things. the other is 'just' the salesman. both are important. pls show some respect. peace 2u
    hagster, gabe2gg and Sapient2k7 like this.
    So we're getting even more fragmentation... And if we're lucky important architectural updates aren't going to get pushed to older devices.... Hmmmm sounds familiar. But now they're even doing it to devices that haven't even been releases yet. Come on HP get your act together asap. If this continues I'm definatly jumping ship!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast