Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Most phones are running 1.4.5, so Mojo will remain the target for phones for quite a while.
    Good point. That's why I don't think OP is off-base at all when he said webOS is fragmented.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Most phones are running 1.4.5, so Mojo will remain the target for phones for quite a while.
    This is the problem, WebOS 2.1 on the Pre Plus(on O2 in Europe), WebOS 1.4.5 on most other carriers for the Pre/Pixi, you have 2.0.1 on the Pre 2, you still have some earlier version of WebOS 1.x on at least one carrier in Mexico, the list goes on about how fragmented the user base is, and we get vague comments about "in the future" from the ***** who has been so vague, I bet even HP employees who report to him couldn't figure out what they should be doing, so nothing got done.

<<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/14/2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: rude comment
    phone apps is going to stay stagnated.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    phone apps is going to stay stagnated.
    It creates an interesting situation. When a developer only has so many manhours for coding and support, which platform does he target? HP is essentially asking developers to bet on whether there are more users of webOS phones or tablets.
    1x,2x,3x,4x,5x aside, I thought they were going the enyo route which was suppose to be scallable. Like everyone I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling. I thought hp wanted to created a new and uniformed identity with webos and create a world of interconnected devices. How could this be when the foundation of the OS is coded differently on different devices. More work for devs and not a good sales pitch on HP's part, especially since they need more developers on their side.

The way I see it is either devs get paid for every app and have the consumer buy multiple versions for compatability with each device and have the data transfered in the could to the different platforms, or devs suck it up and code for multiple platforms while consumers pay one time and get to download the different versions, or devs get paid per app with the consumer having the choice to pay for platform giving up a nice and seamless interconnectivity usage, or have consumers by the mojo version and play it in a timy window on the touchpad causing devs to rethink coding in enyo and possibly rethink about staying with webos, or HP makes everyone happy and eats the cost (which I have a hard time believing based on their short promises and timeline issues)

I guess Mark Huard was right in saying HP didn't buy Palm for their phones.

I know webos has the potential, but hp is not showing me a clear path or path thereof to their vision. It just seems hp does not have the key to unlocking webos's potential.

Funny how this so called #1 computer hardware company is choosing to make the software all that and fail in pleasing the public on thier hardware designs.

Let's see, Apple's rumored ipad 2 pro or ipad 3 is said to include wireless induction charding as well. If they can pull it off in the same footprint as ipad 2, then I guess we will know how innovative, how big a scale, type of engineers...basically what kind of company HP is.

To me HP's stance is playing not to lose the game, instead of playing to win the game. All sportsfans know what's up.

I don't want to hear HP say other companies had time in the market and therefore they need time to catch up with others to bring current technologies and innovations that others are already engadged with to the market....then why proclaim they are the right company with the scale, money to make it happen.
    I Honestly dont see the fragmentation.. ALL HP Smartphone Products are running 2.x ... ALL HP Tablets are Running 3.x

ALL NON HP Products are Running 1.4.5

NON HP Products
    PALM Pre "Classic" 1.4.5
    PALM Pre Plus 1.4.5
    PALM Pixi "Classic" 1.4.5
    PALM Pixi Plus 1.4.5

Source

*HP Pre 2 CDMA 2.0.1
    *HP Pre 2 GSM 2.1
    *HP Veer 2.1.1
    *HP Pre 3 GSM 2.3

*Upgradeable to 3.0 (smartphone version)
    Source
    Source 2
    Source 3

*HP Touchpad (16GB, 32GB, 64GB) 3.0
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It creates an interesting situation. When a developer only has so many manhours for coding and support, which platform does he target? HP is essentially asking developers to bet on whether there are more users of webOS phones or tablets.
    Read This
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...w_devices.html

Getting Ready for New Devices
    How do I prepare my apps for the Pre3 and TouchPad? [Edit: meaning Products shipping with Enyo}

The HP TouchPad and Pre3 are scheduled to arrive this summer. With the introduction of these devices, HP also introduces our development library, Enyo. Enyo is the next step in the evolution of scalable, easy to use JavaScript libraries, and is designed to help you take advantage of the capabilities of the broadest range of webOS devices. We've made writing apps easier than with Mojo, yet the framework is much lighter.

Ideally, you should consider migrating your apps to the Enyo framework. You should write any new apps targeted for Pre3 and TouchPad using Enyo. If you are part of the Early Access Program (EAP), you already have access to a pre-release version of the Enyo SDK. This version allows you to write apps in the Enyo framework and test them in your WebKit-based browser. (If you're not in the EAP, please contact pdc@palm.com to sign up!)

Both the Pre3 and TouchPad will continue to support the Mojo application framework, so generally speaking, your apps will run on them. The Pre3, with it's 480x800 screen resolution, will automatically apply scaling to the graphical assets in your app, so you don't have to do anything. However, webOS will look in your app's directory to see if correctly-sized assets exist before doing any scaling. Your app will look better if you provide assets that are scaled to the correct screen size. Keep an eye out for an upcoming article about scaling assets for the Pre3.

For the TouchPad, existing Mojo apps will also still run, as will PDK apps, but they will not scale automatically. For your PDK apps to run full screen, they will need to include assets sized to work on the Touchpad's 1024x768 screen. The scaling article discusses scaling issues with PDK apps.
    Rnp likes this.
    I think you're conflating the operating system and the SDK, sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    I'm glad to know this. With what developers there are being encouraged to develop for the Touchpad, and there being no timeline for convergence, it shows me that the Pre 3 will have worse app support than the Pre. My decision gets easier every day.
    Wow you are absolutely right. So lets consider the alternatives on other platforms. I guess it should be no problem to run honeycomb games on your Evo3d. Better yet, how about running ipadHD games on your iphone4!!
    I think you're conflating the operating system and the SDK, sketch.
    nope... you where suggesting that hp wants devs to continue support for Mojo.. but the getting ready basically says abandon mojo and go for enyo development
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    nope... you where suggesting that hp wants devs to continue support for Mojo.. but the getting ready basically says abandon mojo and go for enyo development
    Did you read what Jon Rubinstein said?
    Did you read what Jon Rubinstein said?
    he said its Not getting 3.0 right away.. but we knew that already FCC filing says Pre 3 to launch with webOS 2.3 | PreCentral.net

its still getting Enyo
    We'll see what happens, I guess.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    umm why are we interviewing this guy anymore?

and isn't the whole point of enyo is that its screensize variable so it can run on veer, pre, pre 3 and touchpad(s) ? And yes I believe they have stated that almost all 'phone apps' for the pre 3 are enyo.

lets move on to our new guy, peace rubi.
    kill_dano likes this.
    We'll see what happens, I guess.
    The problem with your posts is that you seemed to have been assuming that webOS 3.0=Enyo. They are, in fact, two completely separate entities. Enyo is the forward going application framework for 2.x and 3.x. While webOS 3.x is webOS redesigned for use on tablets. Let go of the notion that they are somehow tied. Ruby was probably talking about developing tools to make it even easier to write the app once and not have to worry about having any right sized icons/text/images/et al. It has already been stated that 2.x phones will support Enyo going forward. I imagine a Veer update will provide Enyo and Touch-to-Share when the Pre 3 is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I just want the Pre 3 released. I wouldn't care if it was running 1.4 at this point as long as I have it and can get updates
    Um... I don't want 1.4 on it. That thing was so buggy.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    am going to wait to see what apps come out for the pre 3 before buying. ill stick to my veer for now
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Rubenstein comes off like a real know-it-all jerk in that interview.
    kill_dano likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The problem with your posts is that you seemed to have been assuming that webOS 3.0=Enyo. They are, in fact, two completely separate entities. Enyo is the forward going application framework for 2.x and 3.x. While webOS 3.x is webOS redesigned for use on tablets. Let go of the notion that they are somehow tied. Ruby was probably talking about developing tools to make it even easier to write the app once and not have to worry about having any right sized icons/text/images/et al. It has already been stated that 2.x phones will support Enyo going forward. I imagine a Veer update will provide Enyo and Touch-to-Share when the Pre 3 is released.
    Right, I get that. That's what makes this so confusing. Rubinstein makes a big deal about how webOS 2.x isn't "older" and that's just "different." Then he says this:

TIMN:But you’re still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and we’ll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but we’re not going to talk about that now.
    If the point of Enyo is to create a scalable framework, why is HP "encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3's OS?"

Has HP indicated that the Pre 3 will ship with support for Enyo apps?
    2.2+ or 2.3+ was supposed to support enyo even though it's webos 2.x code. As long as that holds true and enyo and mojo can both run on the phone and tablet we're cool. But they didn't really clarify that.

This is main reason I haven't recoded my mojo apps except to make them fullscreen on the touchpad.

Anyone still think Ruby needs to be in charge (Gizmodo?) welcome, mr. new guy...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast