Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I can't say I disagree. Especially since we know two things that happened since this article was published:

1. Ruby has been pushed aside, demoted or laterally moved.

2. The specs for the Pre 3 were pulled off of HP's site. Which leads me to belove that the Pre3 is going to get a make over before the release it. Having one less set of specs for a smaller USA carrier for a short while, may easy the pressure on reworking the Pre3.

What do all of you think?

Take care,

Jay

Dropping Sprint from the HP Pre 3 launch was the smart move
    by Nick Marshall, July 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Dropping Sprint from the HP Pre 3 launch was the smart move | Electricpig

We still believe the launch of the HP Pre 3 is on track for late August. In breaking news this weekend it was revealed that Sprint, the exclusive carrier of the original Palm Pre in the US, would not be releasing the Pre 3 and that HP has no plans of offering any future devices on the Now Network. While the news was undoubtedly a major disappointment for Sprint webOS users, this might be the first sign that Palm finally understands the recipe for smartphone success.

Exclusive carrier launches may have worked for Apple, but the Palm Pre was never an iPhone. Limited availability combined with a delayed launch resulted in lackluster sales for both the first and second generation models. Now that HP has purchased the company and the HP Pre 3 launch is less than two months away, webOS will finally have a chance to shine.

Though the HP TouchPad fell short of our expectations, many of the issues we had with the device could be addressed by software updates (particularly the speed). In order for the TouchPad to differentiate itself from the iPad 2 and army of Android Honeycomb tablets, Synergy with the Pre 3 must headline commercials and in-store demonstrations.

Its a simple fact that one of the HP TouchPads key differentiators depends on wide-scale Pre 3 availability. How could the company reach its goal of making webOS mainstream with Sprint as the sole US carrier? Android has proven that in order to achieve record device activations youll need an endless supply of carrier partnerships and handsets.

The endless supply of carrier partnerships begins with axing any and all exclusive partnerships. To reach the largest worldwide audience, a GSM HP Pre 3 at launch is crucial. Last week we heard HP was considering licensing webOS to other manufacturers, particularly Samsung. This would certainly go a long way in addressing the endless supply of handsets.

This one-two punch is exactly what HP needs to save webOS and turn it into a household name. While we agree with the decision to drop Sprint from the HP Pre 3 launch, removing the carrier completely seems a little rash. The CDMA market, at least in the US, represents over 140 million subscribers. HP should look to capture some of this audience with a Pre 3 launch later in 2011 after focusing on the worldwide GSM market.

Will wide-scale availability of the HP Pre 3 and licensing of webOS to Samsung be enough to save the OS? Let us know in the comments section below.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Wouldn't a one two three punch be better than a one two punch?
    iredline5 and SnotBoogie like this.
    Spring needs every phone they can get. They always seem to be the last to get any phones. AT&T gets everything including the latest and greatest. There's going to be no webos, 1 windows phone 7 and no iphone on sprint. AT&T will all those plus all the various android phones.

HP / Palm has been floundering for years because they don't listen to their customers. They need a device that has specs which are a year ahead of everyone else. Every device for webos has been a generation behind. Webos is not in a good position to sell the devices on the operating system alone. 2 cameras, HD screen with recording, big screen and hdmi are all basic starting points.
    This article doesn't make any sense. No one was thinking or hoping that the Pre 3 was going to be a Sprint exclusive.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    65fastback, gzinkl, Rnp and 5 others like this.
    Sprint doesn't care, They'll probably be getting the new iPhone in the fall anyway. If they do, they will not be concerned about a Pre 3. They will be too busy marketing themselves as the only carrier available that offers an unlimited data plan for iPhone users & at a lower monthly contract.

The Pre 3 is gonna face the same challenge as the original Pre; Getting overshadowed by the latest iPhone. The Pre 3 has a tough battle ahead.
    I agree with UltraMav...if they're launching on the big 2 then why not Sprint, too? Makes no sense at all to leave them out.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Sprint doesn't care, They'll probably be getting the new iPhone in the fall anyway. If they do, they will not be concerned about a Pre 3. They will be too busy marketing themselves as the only carrier available that offers an unlimited data plan for iPhone users & at a lower monthly contract.

The Pre 3 is gonna face the same challenge as the original Pre; Getting overshadowed by the latest iPhone. The Pre 3 has a tough battle ahead.
    Except Verizon will still have unlimited data for anyone who had the plan before July 7th...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Wouldn't a one two three punch be better than a one two punch?
    Sprint would make them waste time on building a WiMax version, which would be a waste of time...
    Also agree this doesn't make any sense. First...what UltraMav said. Second...I can think of one phone that is doing pretty well that had a long exclusivity agreement with one carrier (albeit not Sprint).
    I doubt HP "dropped" Sprint. I suspect they've been negotiating to no avail to keep webOS on their network. In my opinion, Sprint is betting against webOS, at least in the short term. They are tied to Android for now until and unless they can convince Apple to support them as well. They know full well if webOS becomes a player they can always add them to their roadmap, but right now they want to keep their marketing and support dollars in a smaller basket.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    I agree that this is Sprint's choice, not HP.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Or they could release a phone on ALL carriers instead of just 2 of the 3 major ones in the US. Not saying it's HPs decision, but Sprint is too picky for not even having the greatest phone selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Or they could release a phone on ALL carriers instead of just 2 of the 3 major ones in the US. Not saying it's HPs decision, but Sprint is too picky for not even having the greatest phone selection.
    I think the article is indicating that they had to nix an existing contract with sprint , saying that sprint gets an exclusive from palm when they put out a phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I think the article is indicating that they had to nix an existing contract with sprint , saying that sprint gets an exclusive from palm when they put out a phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    i wish !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think Sprint refused a 3G-only model (couldn't extort the extra ten bucks) with HP indicating a retool to add an LTE radio for VZ. HP probably declined the extra effort to rush engineer a WiMax radio to coincide with the LTE and Sprint said 'forget it' and HP said 'sorry you feel that way.'
    kingskid likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    HP / Palm has been floundering for years because they don't listen to their customers. They need a device that has specs which are a year ahead of everyone else. Every device for webos has been a generation behind. Webos is not in a good position to sell the devices on the operating system alone. 2 cameras, HD screen with recording, big screen and hdmi are all basic starting points.
    Good god, man, do you read these forums?

I have a phone. I paid almost nothing for it. I can browse the web, and get all my email accounts, calendars and contact lists seemlessly merged. I can run multiple apps at the same time. The OS is easy to use.

Now I have a tablet. It immediately recognized all these accounts because of my "ancient" phone. I take calls on my tablet. I can look at web content with Flash because it's built in. I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot for my tablet.

Really, do you need a phone that can take 10mp photos? Do you own a camera (the traditional medium for taking 'pictures')?

And how exactly do you expect a company that's owned a property for a year to come out with features two years ahead?
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Except Verizon will still have unlimited data for anyone who had the plan before July 7th...
    That's true, but how the heck is that going to sound in an advertisement:
    "We offer unlimted data on our iPhones [disclaimer: Only if you had unlimted data prior to July 7th, 2011]".

Neither new customer, nor anyone upgrading from a dumbphone/feature phone can get unlimited data. It's highly unlikely Verizon will ever advertise unlimited data anymore; no one advertises discontinued features available only to grandfathered customers.

But Sprint on the other hand will benefit tremendously from an iPhone on their network, way more than a Pre 3. Especially since they still offer unlimited data & are cheaper than Verizon & AT&T. This is marketing gold for Sprint. Even if Sprint decided to pick up the Pre 3, they wouldn't push it; they'd be too focused on the iPhone & slew of Android phones.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The problem with this article is the same as the problem with every other "sprint/HP dropped hp/sprint" blog post and forum post the last three days: it's based off of conjecture from a single rumor! There aren't ANY supporting facts to prop up any of the conclusions presented.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Maybe I missed something in this article, but it doesn't make any sense to me either. It's starts off saying that exclusives don't work, and ends with saying HP should focus on GSM first, then the CDMA customers later. Well, I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting the Pre 3 to go to T-Mobile, so that leaves AT&T. So release it on 1 GSM carrier first? That's not an exclusive?
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The problem with this article is the same as the problem with every other "sprint/HP dropped hp/sprint" blog post and forum post the last three days: it's based off of conjecture from a single rumor! There aren't ANY supporting facts to prop up any of the conclusions presented.
    I couldn't agree more on the whole thing is based off a single rumor, but honestly I think HP needs Sprint more than Sprint needs HP. If this rumor does turn out to be true, I would be the single sticking point was WiMax vs. 3G.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast