Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I think the article is indicating that they had to nix an existing contract with sprint , saying that sprint gets an exclusive from palm when they put out a phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    hmmm, thats interesting. I wonder if that was the case

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
    I think Sprint refused a 3G-only model (couldn't extort the extra ten bucks) with HP indicating a retool to add an LTE radio for VZ. HP probably declined the extra effort to rush engineer a WiMax radio to coincide with the LTE and Sprint said 'forget it' and HP said 'sorry you feel that way.'
    +1...

If this means that Pre3 will come out LTE (and prob'ly GSM) ... it might even make sense. It sure would make me happy! How else to get on par (maybe even a little ahead) of some of these beastie machines out there. WebOS is awesome, but when you look at the horsepower & connectivity (LTE) offered by some of these devices... I have been getting more and more disappointed, and couldn't even face getting a CDMA Pre3 on VZ in a couple of months. I just bought a Pre2 (eBay!) to avoid using my past-due upgrade on a Pre3 that would not provide me a significant improvement on "yesterday's tech".

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The problem with this article is the same as the problem with every other "sprint/HP dropped hp/sprint" blog post and forum post the last three days: it's based off of conjecture from a single rumor! There aren't ANY supporting facts to prop up any of the conclusions presented.
    Gottta love the internetz some days.
    I see pandas.
    I couldn't laugh harder that Sprint needs webos, when Webos/hp needs as many potential carriers and customers as possible. Sprint is not hurting for phones like they were when the Pre launched. Sprint has been on a roll lately with phones. Evo, EVO Shift, Epic, EVO 3D, Epic II, Nexus S, Motorola Photon 4g, and possible iPhone 4s/5.... It looks more and more like the Pre 3 will be DOA. Sprint has never done better since they stopped carrying the Pre and it's iterations, now that speaks volumes!
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    This article doesn't make any sense. No one was thinking or hoping that the Pre 3 was going to be a Sprint exclusive.
    Exactly. I was like "huh?" when I read this part:

"How could the company reach its goal of making webOS mainstream with Sprint as the sole US carrier? Android has proven that in order to achieve record device activations you’ll need an endless supply of carrier partnerships and handsets.

The endless supply of carrier partnerships begins with axing any and all exclusive partnerships. To reach the largest worldwide audience, a GSM HP Pre 3 at launch is crucial."

Sprint users could care less about exclusivity as long as they are included in the carrier list of Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I couldn't laugh harder that Sprint needs webos, when Webos/hp needs as many potential carriers and customers as possible. Sprint is not hurting for phones like they were when the Pre launched. Sprint has been on a roll lately with phones. Evo, EVO Shift, Epic, EVO 3D, Epic II, Nexus S, Motorola Photon 4g, and possible iPhone 4s/5.... It looks more and more like the Pre 3 will be DOA. Sprint has never done better since they stopped carrying the Pre and it's iterations, now that speaks volumes!
    This. I really have to question people when they say Sprint's phone lineup is lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
    I think Sprint refused a 3G-only model (couldn't extort the extra ten bucks) with HP indicating a retool to add an LTE radio for VZ. HP probably declined the extra effort to rush engineer a WiMax radio to coincide with the LTE and Sprint said 'forget it' and HP said 'sorry you feel that way.'
    Extort 10.00? It doesn't matter which smartphone is activated, the 10.00 fee applies regardless (3G or 4G).
    Wow, even I could have done a better job writing an article than this guy; it makes no sense at all! I'm just going to stop paying attention to all this garbage rumor madness and wait and see what HP officially announce.
    I have a very hard time believing that HP dropped anybody. If the Palm Pre 3 is not on Sprint then Sprint didn't want it.

Either way to the article is based on pure speculation. I don't find that sort of faux journalism compelling.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I really hope that this is just speculation because I want the Pre3 and on Sprint...
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I have a very hard time believing that HP dropped anybody. If the Palm Pre 3 is not on Sprint then Sprint didn't want it
    It's revisionist history -- like when people are dumped by a boyfriend/girlfriend yet they tell all their friends its that they who did the dumping. It makes them feel better about themselves.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Have to agree with this. Sprint has a good line up of phones, and whilst many people on here believe that Android isn't great it's not as bad as people think. Bottom line for me is that I think I have given up caring about the Pre3, it's taking too long and just a lack of info. When it comes out I'll see who's carrying it and how it fares. That said, by the time it comes out I will probably have the Photon so that I can have a world phone that I'll also be able to use outside the US
    gabe2gg likes this.
    You mean like how:

Pixi
    Pre and Pixi Plus
    Pre 2

were, which is why the Carriers pretty much had to give them away, to get them off the shelves?! That type of DOA

and looks like the TouchPad will be following the same routine that Palm/HP has become accustomed too.

I actually can't blame Sprint in this case...the Pre-line has been a failure thus far IMO for the hopes that I had for it, at this point I expected WebOS to be apart of the Mainstream smartphone with a rich App catalog, and right now WebOS isn't even mentioned in the same breath as Android, iPhone and even Blackberry (the new Palm) and Windows Phone...best thing HP can do is License WebOS out to Samsung, HTC, MOTO and LG...

HP moves too F'ing slow
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    HP has two strikes this year with the Veer and Touchpad. If the Pre3 is all they have in the lineup, they need a homerun. HP says after the fact that the Touchpad and Veer were "soft-launched". I hope to see a "full-launch" of the Pre3.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Sprint would make them waste time on building a WiMax version, which would be a waste of time...
    i think it was pretty clear from the get go that sprint was no going to carry the pre3 or veer. and i don't think it would be a waste for hp to build a wimax or lte radio in future webos devices.

sprint's next big phone will be the iphone 5, along with a strong android lineup. as far as the unlimited data, i think that will soon be gone on sprint.
    After the bad Sprint service the past week and their attempt at customer service failing miserably, I am actually starting to look forward to the possibility of switching when my contract is up in 5 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I think the article is indicating that they had to nix an existing contract with sprint , saying that sprint gets an exclusive from palm when they put out a phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There's no lingering contract out there that gives Sprint exclusivity for launching new Palm products... just think about it
    HP didn't nix the Sprint deal, at least I hope. HP bailing on Sprint would have been asinine, but Sprint bailing on HP is a calculated move. The Pre 2 was a failure. The Veer looks to be a failure. The TouchPad didn't get good reviews. Now HP wants to launch another product, without 4G, on Sprint?

Considering the mass email attack that Sprint has received from existing webOS users, I think it's obvious that Sprint has to really not believe in the Pre3 as a mainstream device.

I think it's a bad move on Sprint's part, but we'll see. If there is some sort of mass exodus of webOS users from Sprint's network, we'll see something change quickly. Obviously, Sprint is gambling that won't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

I think it's a bad move on Sprint's part, but we'll see. If there is some sort of mass exodus of webOS users from Sprint's network, we'll see something change quickly. Obviously, Sprint is gambling that won't happen.
    I don't how its a bad move, look the people on here complaining about Sprint's lack of attention to WebOS are probably the entire base that even cares 2 cents about WebOS that passionately. Sprint is probably having no problem moving folks off WebOS and on to Android devices, it's probably no effort at all with popularity of Android and monster devices like the EVO-line, Epics, Nexus and Photons at their disposal.

All that matters right now to the mainstream, is iPhone and Droids that's it...

Blackberry is dying, WP7 the jury is still out until Mango takes off. IMO there's only room for 3 OS's to have critical mass capture...iPhone and Android have 1 and 2 spots that leaves Blackberry, Windows Phone, and WebOS to fight it out for the 3rd

Blackberry has fallen to lose its tight grip, its still the 3rd but not a strong 3rd, Microsoft is fighting but not at a lights out rate like it should be. HP i don't think they know what planet their on, let alone know that there is a fierce competition going on here and they're LOSING BIG, with 5 product launches since the Pre-release NONE of them have been anything but a big bucket of FAIL....

Once Sprint gets the iPhone into their line up, there will almost be no room for anything to get traction outside of Android and iPhone....Just like it is on Verizon and AT&T now. The Android and iOS are massive air sucking platforms that have all the attention on Lockdown.

HP will be forced to license out WebOS if they have a snowballs chance in He** staying in this game.
    The question is why would sprint want web os after the failed pre launch? Everybody I know, including my self are on their 5th or more pre because the quality was such ****. It would be bad business ethics to have a product like that launched again when you can help it. I was **** hurt at first about it, but without my homer goggles on I can understand sprint. I pay like 50 bux a month for unlimited data, texting, etc. Nothing on verizon or at and t can touch that. I'm with sprint and I'm holding out till early fall for my upgrade. Hopefully this usb crack, oreo cookie, ****ty headphone jack POS can hold me over. Seriously I love WEB OS but this hardware and all the waiting is just garbage all around. We'll see what sprint has in the fall but i'm definitely staying with them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast