Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jdevora
  • 1 Post By Keegan99
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm with Movistar, another carrier, like Sprint, that just forgot about Webos after the initial Pre.

But now, I bought a unlocked Pre 2 and I'm a happy man.

I can understand that a carrier is not willing to put money behind something that they thing that it will not pay off. But why not leave the door open?.

I don't know exactly how the CDMA activation works, but couldn't HP work out a deal with Sprint in the lines of "we sell the phones, we do the support, don't worry about our WebOS phones, it won't cost you a penny. Just add those serial numbers to your activation list and you can keep a few thousands hardcore WebOS users as your happy customers."

I think that is the best way that HP could make up for the String Pre users.

Is that idea possible? IIRC correctly we saw a few test Pre 2 working with Sprint in HP employees hands.

If that is possible, HOW CAN WE TELL HP ABOUT THE IDEA?

Cheers
    JD Evora
    fmarcanojr and Tikkanen like this.
    I like the idea! I would buy one!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I would also do this.
    Count all 3 of my lines in on this as well. (Finally convinced my wife after she played with the TouchPad, daughter has no choice )
    I asked Sprint about this and their position is that the FIRST call anyone will have is to Sprint tech support. And, if they are then told "Not a system issue.....call HP" that people will be dissatisfied with that support / answer.

It sounds good (activate clean ESN / non supported phone) in theory. Just not in practice.

I actually made this EXACT suggestion in an earlier thread (maybe the big "Rumors" thread?).

It just is not gonna happen.
    I wish this was an option!
    CDMA, at least in North America, doesn't use removable UIMs (SIM cards in the GSM world).

The carriers will outright refuse to activate any phones that are not on their whitelist.

And things get more complicated from there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I asked Sprint about this and their position is that the FIRST call anyone will have is to Sprint tech support. And, if they are then told "Not a system issue.....call HP" that people will be dissatisfied with that support / answer.

It sounds good (activate clean ESN / non supported phone) in theory. Just not in practice.

I actually made this EXACT suggestion in an earlier thread (maybe the big "Rumors" thread?).

It just is not gonna happen.
    But if you buy it from HP and even you go as far as paying the whole price
    you should know, isn't it.

OTOH it happens the WHOLE time with GSM carriers.

JD
    Bizarre how consumers are trained to call their provider for any problem with their phone.

Do they call their ISP for any problem with their PC?! No, unless it's a clear connectivity issue, they call Dell or whoever has their name on the box.
    jdevora likes this.