Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    if you go here:HP Pre3 Smartphone Specifications | Business Mobile Phones | HP« Official Site

it says the HP Pre3 has 1.2 GHz processer, when it was first introduced it said 1.4 GHz processer!?!
    Typo for sure. APQ8060 is the radio-less version of the MSM8x60 in the EVO 3D. That's the TouchPad's processor. I don't think HP wants to build a phone with no radio.

Although it is a dual core, technically an upgrade to the single core MSM8x55 in the Pre3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI╔ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Plus...thats the UK site...
    1.2GHz in London = 1.4GHz in Washington....
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI╔ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    Plus...thats the UK site...
    1.2GHz in London = 1.4GHz in Washington....
    Oh so meters vs feet,
    kilometers vs miles

London mhz vs washington mhz.

lol.
    dajlol77 and w2wpaul like this.
    Hmm. 1.2 GHz Dualcore would be juicy and render one argument against it mood
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Typo for sure. APQ8060 is the radio-less version of the MSM8x60 in the EVO 3D. That's the TouchPad's processor. I don't think HP wants to build a phone with no radio.

Although it is a dual core, technically an upgrade to the single core MSM8x55 in the Pre3.
    Maybe they switched the CPU to the MSM8x60?

Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 1.2GHz/td>
    BTW, the "/td>" is part the html tag for "table data" (<td>text...</td>) and that typo indicates that someone did a sloppy Copy-Paste
    A dual core 1.2GHz processor still with the tiny little 1230mAh battery? Not only is a dual 1.2 not going to add any real performance over a 1.4 single core, it's going to eat more power. This is a downgrade, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A dual core 1.2GHz processor still with the tiny little 1230mAh battery? Not only is a dual 1.2 not going to add any real performance over a 1.4 single core, it's going to eat more power. This is a downgrade, IMHO.
    Not necessarily. Power draw scales quadratic with voltage. Think of this use case: you have several apps open, the load is just enough to keep the single core processor in his highest state (1.4 GHz). On a dual core however the load is balanced between the two cores, which each is in a lower state. Thus the whole processor might end up using less power than the single core.

Furthermore, since the dual-core could mean that the job is done quicker and the processor can go to a lower state earlier, one might save energy as well.

Due to power gating an additional core might not draw any power at all if unused.

You see, it's not all black and white, but a strange grey... Yes, a dual core itself offers no advantage if the OS and the apps can't make use of it. However, seeing the Touchpad has a dual-core, webOS 3.x is definitely optimised for dual-cores.
    VCI_Cell and different2une like this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    hmm, looking at the reviews, WebOS 3.0 seems to NOT be optimized at all...

I would stick with the 1.4GHz processor, due to the fact, that most apps shouldn't need any processing power at all when in background.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    if you go here:HP Pre3 Smartphone Specifications | Business Mobile Phones | HP« Official Site

it says the HP Pre3 has 1.2 GHz processer, when it was first introduced it said 1.4 GHz processer!?!
    Actually, it says DUAL CORE 1.2 ghz CPU...

I'm not reallly sure that's a "step down" in specs...

Moderators should consider changing thee title of the thread accordingly, IMO.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmmm would be nice if the delay meant webos 3.0 as well =]
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    <<modified thread title>>
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

From a "I don't know what I'm asking for, but I want it NOW" consumer perspective, it's a huge improvement.

Specs wise, I don't know. Maybe they're using one of both cores on Touchpad for specific tasks, and have figured better performance making the Pre3 dual-core...
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    this is the billionth post about this... Seriously folks, look a few posts that are on the first page.

until the tech specs return on the us hp page, don't read anything into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Not necessarily. Power draw scales quadratic with voltage. Think of this use case: you have several apps open, the load is just enough to keep the single core processor in his highest state (1.4 GHz). On a dual core however the load is balanced between the two cores, which each is in a lower state. Thus the whole processor might end up using less power than the single core.

Furthermore, since the dual-core could mean that the job is done quicker and the processor can go to a lower state earlier, one might save energy as well.

Due to power gating an additional core might not draw any power at all if unused.

You see, it's not all black and white, but a strange grey... Yes, a dual core itself offers no advantage if the OS and the apps can't make use of it. However, seeing the Touchpad has a dual-core, webOS 3.x is definitely optimised for dual-cores.
    I'm quite familiar with dual core technology, unlike many people who covet it so much. You seem to be assuming that the dual core processor will have tasks easily split between the two cores, efficiently spreading the workload and allowing the clock speed and voltage to be reduced across each core which might lead to power savings.

Workload isn't likely to be effectively split across multiple cores in such a manner because the applications themselves (not the OS) are not capable of being programmed in such a manner where it's efficient to break the code into separate streams, and typically, it doesn't seem like many applications put much of a load on the current smartphone processors that are available.

In order to get energy efficiency in the smarphone world, the phone should be in a state of multitasking where the single core processor is under a relatively heavy to very heavy load due because many applications with low individual requirements are being run.

It's certainly theoretically possible, but I don't think it's likely that dual core processors in smartphones currently provide an average user an overall advantage in battery life or performance vs a single core processor at a higher clock speed. Of course, that's assuming the architecture of the cores is identical.
    Rei VI likes this.
    If HP is planning on having Enyo apps work on both the TouchPad and Pre3 on WebOS 3.0 it makes sense for both devices to run similar processors. So if Enyo apps get optimized for the TouchPad dual core, then it makes a lot of sense for the Pre 3 to follow the same optimization as they would run the same processor. Otherwise, we will have Enyo fragmentation of apps that are optimized to run on a single core device and those optimized for dual cores. This is actually a smart move by HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

It would be an even larger step up if they went with the same CPU as in the Touchpad because then they would have the Adreno 220 as opposed to the 205. So it would then be equal in CPU to the Evo3d.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    What about battery life? Any ideas on how the dualcore would perform when compared to the singlecore?
    On another note, won't Enyo Apps be available for the veer and the pre2 as well? They definitely have single core CPUs...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    There is a huge difference between having a single application that can be spread out between multiple processor cores and having different applications running on one core or the other. As a result, while the performance of any given app may not go up with multi-core processors, at the very least, a better distribution of the multiple applications between the cores IS what we could expect.

We also have all those different things going on in the background, such as checking for new text messages, and other OS related tasks that CAN make the overall use of the device SMOOTHER. That is the real key to additional processor cores, not increased speed per application, but because all the running tasks are being distributed between the different processor cores, you get fewer delays, and that DOES improve performance.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I'm quite familiar with dual core technology, unlike many people who covet it so much. You seem to be assuming that the dual core processor will have tasks easily split between the two cores, efficiently spreading the workload and allowing the clock speed and voltage to be reduced across each core which might lead to power savings.

Workload isn't likely to be effectively split across multiple cores in such a manner because the applications themselves (not the OS) are not capable of being programmed in such a manner where it's efficient to break the code into separate streams, and typically, it doesn't seem like many applications put much of a load on the current smartphone processors that are available.

In order to get energy efficiency in the smarphone world, the phone should be in a state of multitasking where the single core processor is under a relatively heavy to very heavy load due because many applications with low individual requirements are being run.

It's certainly theoretically possible, but I don't think it's likely that dual core processors in smartphones currently provide an average user an overall advantage in battery life or performance vs a single core processor at a higher clock speed. Of course, that's assuming the architecture of the cores is identical.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast