Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I'm quite familiar with dual core technology, ...
    That makes two of us.

... unlike many people who covet it so much.
    Ouch.

You seem to be assuming that the dual core processor will have tasks easily split between the two cores, efficiently spreading the workload and allowing the clock speed and voltage to be reduced across each core which might lead to power savings.
    My point still stands. I pointed out a use case where several applications run, hence multiple tasks. I did not mean multithreading to speed up calculations.

A task can be finished quicker just because it has core #0 all for itself and other tasks (might even be background tasks) are assigned to core #1.

I'm afraid I was not clear on that, English isn't my first language, sorry

Workload isn't likely to be effectively split across multiple cores in such a manner because the applications themselves (not the OS) are not capable of being programmed in such a manner where it's efficient to break the code into separate streams, and typically, it doesn't seem like many applications put much of a load on the current smartphone processors that are available.
    Agreed. Good thing you cleared that up. As to the point that there are not many programs who put much load on the processor, this could be subject to change, however I'm having a hard time to find a use case ^^ That's a point for you, then

In order to get energy efficiency in the smarphone world, the phone should be in a state of multitasking where the single core processor is under a relatively heavy to very heavy load due because many applications with low individual requirements are being run.
    Bazinga! Isn't that what webOS is about? Multitasking?

It's certainly theoretically possible, but I don't think it's likely that dual core processors in smartphones currently provide an average user an overall advantage in battery life or performance vs a single core processor at a higher clock speed. Of course, that's assuming the architecture of the cores is identical.
    We'll see I'm quite sure dual-cores are an improvement and, due to power gating, in the worst case don't significantly decrease battery life.
    I hope people understand it's a copy paste (with errors and all) from the TP specs. So a web designer made a mistake but that's about all.

HP TouchPad | Tablet PC | HP® Official Site
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Ouch.
    No need to be offended. There are just a lot of people that want dual core because an Android phone launched with it. Most people don't seem to understand anything behind the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal
    We'll see I'm quite sure dual-cores are an improvement and, due to power gating, in the worst case don't significantly decrease battery life.
    Multitasking is what webOS does better than other mobile OS's, but I haven't hit a scenario where a single core was holding me back so far so I'm not inclined to jump onto the dual core bandwagon yet. Dual cores will eventually be beneficial on smartphones, we just seem to disagree about the current generation of devices being the turning point.

In regard to power consumption, I'm actually more concerned about buggy and poorly coded applications that wind up unnecessarily taxing both cores which will absolutely lead to substantial battery life reductions. I think the power gating and energy management systems in current CPU's are generally very good, but I'm always happy to point out Core i7 vs Core i5 or Core i3 laptop battery life as a real world example.
    Cheers Your posts are much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    There is a huge difference between having a single application that can be spread out between multiple processor cores and having different applications running on one core or the other. As a result, while the performance of any given app may not go up with multi-core processors, at the very least, a better distribution of the multiple applications between the cores IS what we could expect.

We also have all those different things going on in the background, such as checking for new text messages, and other OS related tasks that CAN make the overall use of the device SMOOTHER. That is the real key to additional processor cores, not increased speed per application, but because all the running tasks are being distributed between the different processor cores, you get fewer delays, and that DOES improve performance.
    Original Palm Pre overclocked using screenstate 500/1000. Running Sprint GPS Navigation, Pandora, Spaz, Facebook, Text Messaging, Email. All simultaneously. Music didn't skip. GPS didn't miss turns or take long to recalculate. Texts and email updates seemed to feed through smoothly. That's on a years old single core TI OMAP 3430 and only 256MB of RAM.

Also, something that's frequently missed when discussions on multiple cores come up. You need more RAM and more cache to make the additional cores effective. It's not like you can just slap another core in there and expect improved performance when you don't have the system memory to support it.
    Apps that display retrieve many items from a database and display them in a list can benefit from multiple cores, if the database can run in one process and the app rendering code in another process. Thus, as you scroll through the list, one process is rendering items, while the the other process is retrieving the next group of items from the database.

If there's less than a page of items, or you never scroll past the first page, you won't see much benefit from multiple cores.

webOS apps that use HTML5 databases (SQLite databases) don't benefit from multiple cores, since the database code runs in the same process as the app and rendering.

webOS apps that use the new DB8 database do benefit, since DB8 runs as a service, in a different process.

Also, any app that uses a JavaScript service to sync data to a server will benefit from multiple cores, since the JavaScript service runs in a different process. Apps that do their syncing in the app proper will not.

So, the value of multiple processor cores to a single app depends heavily on whether that app uses the new technologies introduced in webOS 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I hope people understand it's a copy paste (with errors and all) from the TP specs. So a web designer made a mistake but that's about all.

HP TouchPad | Tablet PC | HP® Official Site
    If it was web designer mistake, shouldn't this be fixed by now? I know Palm reads precentral.net daily.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Original Palm Pre overclocked using screenstate 500/1000. Running Sprint GPS Navigation, Pandora, Spaz, Facebook, Text Messaging, Email. All simultaneously. Music didn't skip. GPS didn't miss turns or take long to recalculate. Texts and email updates seemed to feed through smoothly. That's on a years old single core TI OMAP 3430 and only 256MB of RAM.

Also, something that's frequently missed when discussions on multiple cores come up. You need more RAM and more cache to make the additional cores effective. It's not like you can just slap another core in there and expect improved performance when you don't have the system memory to support it.
    The Pre Plus came with 512MB of RAM...the issue of cache comes into the overall design, but isn't REQUIRED. The whole issue of RAM is more about avoiding excessive use of virtual memory than it is about how well you can do multitasking. A dual-core 1.2GHz with 512MB of RAM on a WebOS phone WOULD be more responsive/faster than a single-core 1.4GHz. If 512MB of RAM is enough for a single-core to run four apps well, then it is enough to allow a dual-core processor to run those same four apps even better.

I agree that as a "me too" feature it shouldn't be looked at that way, but it WOULD allow for a better overall experience. Dual-core 400MHz would be faster than single-core 600MHz.
    So does anyone think this isn't a mistake? I mean the TouchPad is getting the spec bump. Maybe this is why the Pre3 got delayed. Although i do agree with EvilKell, at this point in time a Dual Core isn't going to do much. It will obviously exceed Single core in time, but smartphones today aren't exactly in NEED of dual core technology.

Obviously a typo, being radioless and all, but it could still be getting a spec bump.
    Last edited by Rei VI; 07/13/2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Cell phones today aren't in need of GPS/Accelerometers/Touchscreens, etc...

They are in need of the ability to make phone calls.
    sooby77 likes this.
    I'm more talking multitasking overpowering a single core CPU. Rather than consumer wants vs. needs.

Even still a cell phone isn't in need of any of those things. But a smartphone is, in order for it to be a more advanced computing machine than a dumbphone it needs more advanced hardware. This is just what the hardware has evolved to due to customer wants. Without that smartphones wouldn't thrive and we wouldn't be where we are right now.

I'm just throwing some crap that came to mind, don't take it seriously
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei VI View Post
    I'm more talking multitasking overpowering a single core CPU. Rather than consumer wants vs. needs.

Even still a cell phone isn't in need of any of those things. But a smartphone is, in order for it to be a more advanced computing machine than a dumbphone it needs more advanced hardware. This is just what the hardware has evolved to due to customer wants. Without that smartphones wouldn't thrive and we wouldn't be where we are right now.

I'm just throwing some crap that came to mind, don't take it seriously
    You mean anyone takes you seriously? Just kidding. Too many people are focused on the idea that they want the core phone functionality to be better/take priority over all of the smart-phone stuff, which I can understand, and it should be possible to give phone and SMS/MMS a higher process priority than other applications depending on how WebOS is designed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    You mean anyone takes you seriously? Just kidding. Too many people are focused on the idea that they want the core phone functionality to be better/take priority over all of the smart-phone stuff, which I can understand, and it should be possible to give phone and SMS/MMS a higher process priority than other applications depending on how WebOS is designed.
    Your right no one does take me seriously

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei VI View Post
    Your right no one does take me seriously

I know that feeling all too well, but I try to stay positive about what will come when it comes to WebOS. The problem is that if you take something good and deprive it of light, food, and water, it starts to wither. When it comes to technology, that equates to information, and HP has given us so little concrete information on the Pre 3 over the past few months when it comes to when it will be released, I feel that as a community, we are starting to feel that withering effect.

We need that "light of knowledge" about what is going on with the Pre 3, and not some vague comments about "in the near future", or "in the coming months". AT&T moved up our upgrade dates for those who bought the Pre Plus on launch day, so I'm ready to grab the Pre 3 the moment it becomes available, and...wait for it....wait for it....wait for it....specs removed from page without any comment....wait for it.

This is why I am very happy that Ruby is being shuffled off to another role in the company, because he doesn't understand that enthusiasts really need a constant flow of information to maintain that enthusiasm. When the flow of information drys up for too long, it doesn't take long before people become very annoyed at the lack of new information.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Interesting! But WHEN will it be available. Also, that article says it will come with 3.0, but I think we all know that's wrong by now.
    Derek says no, but I wish he would also say why he's so confident that he has the final hardware build.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    This would have been a smart move. Sadly it does not seem true!

RIP WebOS....
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I just want to know that if it is not true, then why did the HPwebos website now no longer post the product details of the pre3? It has the apps and features of the headset up, but unlike the page for the veer or touchpad, it does not show the product details. That has to mean something.
    HP swaps Pre3 1.4GHz processor for dual-core 1.2GHz chip

Another story on it from BGR via Phonescoop.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast