Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    That's so very painful to look at. I'm sorry for your situation :-[
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    So did you have any luck returning it?
    Not to be a huge downer here, but doesn't anyone else have a problem with the OP's original intention here?

Maybe I'm just reading the post wrong, but what I get is that he was knowinly buying phones that he had zero intention of keeping, and abusing the 30 day trial period to mess around until a specific phone hits the market.

If I didn't understand correctly, you can fairly well ignore this post, but if I'm right, then this whole thing is deplorable and he got his just desserts. The only way the poetic justice could be improved is if he fell into the pool because a Sprint sales rep tripped over a cell phone shipping box and accidentally pushed him in, or if he walked blindly into the pool while texting on his ill-gotten phone.

This is the sort of behavior and mentality that makes everyone else's bill go up, and causes cell providers to offer ever shorter trial periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Not to be a huge downer here, but doesn't anyone else have a problem with the OP's original intention here?

Maybe I'm just reading the post wrong, but what I get is that he was knowinly buying phones that he had zero intention of keeping, and abusing the 30 day trial period to mess around until a specific phone hits the market.

If I didn't understand correctly, you can fairly well ignore this post, but if I'm right, then this whole thing is deplorable and he got his just desserts. The only way the poetic justice could be improved is if he fell into the pool because a Sprint sales rep tripped over a cell phone shipping box and accidentally pushed him in, or if he walked blindly into the pool while texting on his ill-gotten phone.

This is the sort of behavior and mentality that makes everyone else's bill go up, and causes cell providers to offer ever shorter trial periods.
    I agree with you and found it odd that nobody else mentioned, thought maybe I was misunderstanding or something. And not only does it hurts us, but if sprint works like Verizon, the sales rep is also getting dinged each time he returns a phone. Its because of things like this that the 30 day return window has been shortened to 14 days in some locations.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I kind of have to agree if you have no INTENTION of keeping said phones then why even buy them. I used the trial period once but only bc I really thought I liked the phone..........about a week later I had to come back to my PRE and a new one at that.
    Moral arguement aside, but noted - a friend of mine had the same thing happen to his iPhone 3G - I called it his iSponge. But he did as you did, with the rice and a couple of days to dry. His phone was functional again, but with the same screen errie effect (mix of clouds and webs). After several days, the screen returned to normal. Just my thoughts on the OP's dilemma.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Yeah I agree that this is a big moral issue, and it is the sort of abuse that ends up screwing it up for the rest of us. I just didn't feel like stirring anything up, and am curious if the OP was able to return it or if they checked the liquid indicator stickers which, I assume they would.
    Not sure what the policy is on 30 day returns with water damage, but I can't imagine that they would take any return without checking the stickers. Of course, no amount of time in a bowl of rice will turn those stickers back to their original color.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I agree with you and found it odd that nobody else mentioned, thought maybe I was misunderstanding or something. And not only does it hurts us, but if sprint works like Verizon, the sales rep is also getting dinged each time he returns a phone. Its because of things like this that the 30 day return window has been shortened to 14 days in some locations.
    Ohhh boy.... I really worded that original post pretty poorly. Yes, I was taking advantage of the trial, but if there's a chance I might keep the phone is that not okay? I actually took out my Pre while purchasing the phone and told them at Best Buy that I am huge Webos fan and that it would be a hard switch for me. Of course they laughed and said don't worry, that's why you have 30 days!

As of today, all the damage is gone, I guess it evaporated, the phone works perfectly(as it should) and I might keep it.(I'm still undecided) I just read the original post and its true that I got the phone to kill time waiting for the Pre 3. What this means is that I was, and am still hoping that I get some sort of announcement or reason to return this thing within the 30 days. Isn't that what the trial is for anyway? Trying things? If I don't hear anything, which I probably wont, there is a good chance I'll stick with this phone.

As for the phone itself, here is my experience after having it for around 2 weeks:

It is pretty good, but I'm still not a fan of android and it really does have some software flaws. For example, today the messaging app crashed and wouldn't open even after 3 reboots. I had to pull the battery out(I guess a reboot doesn't completely reset it). Then again, every phone will have glitches like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    I'm laughing over here too don't worry... In the meantime, the phone is sitting in a bowl of rice so hopefully it drys out! I put the battery in about 2 hours ago and the flash started going off so that's not a good sign .
    Hi all,

If this helps, my home still has 2 landlines (my Mom who lives with me in my house & my number). A number of years ago, I installed a wired/wireless phone system with an intercom, (when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I wanted him to be able to call via intercom no matter where I was in the house he could reach me if he needed something). The system has 1 wired base unit, and 8 wireless handsets. I can transfer calls, to all handsets or just one, page all or one handset etc....

One headset was washed in the washing machine, (in my gardening pants like a jerk, I just tossed everything into the washer), one was left out in a two hour rain storm, (trust me, unless you have been to the tropics or lived in Florida during tthe wet season, you can't beleive what rain is like down here, (often it is so bad that you have to pull off the road until it lets up)) & one fell into the kitchen sink.

Each time "Rice to the Rescue", worked like a charm. The phone that was washed is the handset from the den, it still works perfectly fine and I washed it over 8 years ago!

So hopefully the rice will save your phone & your wallet!.

Take care,

Jay
    PS I'm laughing not at you, but at myself for being a jack*ss x 3 times!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group

Hi all,

Someone that I know online but I've never met him in person and frankly it's just as well. He lives in Canada 1/2 a year and in Ft Lauderdale 1/2 a year .

He actually has the nerve to brag about the following.

He doesn't come to Florida with a computer, he test drives a different laptop for 30 days at a time from various stores....he has done it for years, but so that they don't catch on he goes to different stores each time.

I keep think at this point he must have to drive all they way up to wear I live hundreds of miles from Ft Lauderdale so they don't recognize him.

Laptops are so cheap these days, it's costing more in gas than buying a laptop....he actually brags about doing it...I'm still shocked over it and know that he has been doing this of years and years...

Personally my time alone is worth more to me than to have run around screw all of the stores and all of us b/c he's too cheap to buy a laptop....

He can get a Netbook for almost free these days...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Sprint is probably pretty ok with people trying and returning phones without intending to buy them. Aside from things like dropping them in a pool, eventually something happens where you most likely keep one (you forget to return it in time, you actually like it, you don't find anything better to try, etc.) You're still paying for a month of service and data each time, and when you finally do stick with one, you're on a fresh contract instead of already a few months in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

If this helps, my home still has 2 landlines (my Mom who lives with me in my house & my number). A number of years ago, I installed a wired/wireless phone system with an intercom, (when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I wanted him to be able to call via intercom no matter where I was in the house he could reach me if he needed something). The system has 1 wired base unit, and 8 wireless handsets. I can transfer calls, to all handsets or just one, page all or one handset etc....

One headset was washed in the washing machine, (in my gardening pants like a jerk, I just tossed everything into the washer), one was left out in a two hour rain storm, (trust me, unless you have been to the tropics or lived in Florida during tthe wet season, you can't beleive what rain is like down here, (often it is so bad that you have to pull off the road until it lets up)) & one fell into the kitchen sink.

Each time "Rice to the Rescue", worked like a charm. The phone that was washed is the handset from the den, it still works perfectly fine and I washed it over 8 years ago!

So hopefully the rice will save your phone & your wallet!.

Take care,

Jay
    PS I'm laughing not at you, but at myself for being a jack*ss x 3 times!
    My last home phone setup (before we went with a good BT panasonic setup a few months back) came with one waterproof handset and charging base. I think the thing would actually float too (never tested it), used it as my shop phone in my garage (it's actually still out there, garage is a mess right now).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I think ahitz is correct. Lets also remember the ideas of customer satisfaction and competition. If a company willingly gives you 30 days to decide if you want to keep a phone or not there should be no "moral" concern if someone uses it to test drive some phones.

No amount of reading reviews, watching demo videos, or playing with it in the store for 30 mins is going to give you a full understanding if a phone is the perfect fit or not. Besides, field testing anything is the true, real world challenge and a lot of fun to boot!
    Palm Pre 2 w/ Preware
    HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I can agree with what's been said. The clarification from the OP was good enough for me, as the initial wording indicated he was just using the trial over and over until the pre 3 came out.
    This is why I went with Best Buy's buy-back program. They will buy your phone back at 50% of the MSRP toward any other phone's MSRP within 6 months...40% within 12 months. Seems very fair to me. I signed with Verzon on the 5th to get grandfathered into unlimited data and now I wait for the Pre 3 to land...with no guilt whatsoever.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    Ohhh boy.... I really worded that original post pretty poorly. Yes, I was taking advantage of the trial, but if there's a chance I might keep the phone is that not okay? I actually took out my Pre while purchasing the phone and told them at Best Buy that I am huge Webos fan and that it would be a hard switch for me. Of course they laughed and said don't worry, that's why you have 30 days!

As of today, all the damage is gone, I guess it evaporated, the phone works perfectly(as it should) and I might keep it.(I'm still undecided) I just read the original post and its true that I got the phone to kill time waiting for the Pre 3. What this means is that I was, and am still hoping that I get some sort of announcement or reason to return this thing within the 30 days. Isn't that what the trial is for anyway? Trying things? If I don't hear anything, which I probably wont, there is a good chance I'll stick with this phone.

As for the phone itself, here is my experience after having it for around 2 weeks:

It is pretty good, but I'm still not a fan of android and it really does have some software flaws. For example, today the messaging app crashed and wouldn't open even after 3 reboots. I had to pull the battery out(I guess a reboot doesn't completely reset it). Then again, every phone will have glitches like this...
    My bad, I misunderstood. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the return period if youre not satisfied with what you got, I know I've done it a couple times. Just some people abuse it and use it like a free rental service, it's because of these people that abuse it that they have shortened the return window and have added restocking fees at certain retailers.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12