Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hey people,

First post so go easy please

I've been looking at upgrading for a few weeks and the Pre 3 has been one of the options I've been giving a lot of thought to (Getting a bit bored with Android and don't fancy signing up to fruit based cults) which is leaving either webOS (namely the Pre 3) or something running Windows phone. One problem I have is that I am currently living in Uruguay which puts crazy taxes on phone purchases here (Samsung Galaxy S2 retails here for about $1750 US).

The answer to this comes through a family member who is traveling to Florida on holiday in September and she has kindly offered to pick up a phone for me. This leads on to my questions. Having seen the tie in with AT&T for the Veer, I am guessing it will be impossible to buy the Pre 3 on release sim free. Do you guys reckon it'll be possible to buy the Pre 3 without being tied into a plan? Looking at the availability of other phones (in terms of being able to purchase without contract) has me worrying about this to an extent.
    As well as this, have Pre handsets been easy to unlock in the past? I am assuming the GSM and HSDPA bands will be fine as the Veer's specs would have it working here no probs so it's just the issue of the phone taking my Antel sim. I had some hassle unlocking my HTC Desire when I first came over here so hoping I'm not having to go through that again.

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far) and I appreciate any answers to this
    I bought my AT&T Veer no-contract. I'm not even on AT&T. Heck I'm not even from the US.

The Veer unlock came relatively quick, and I can imagine the Pre 3 one once available would be even quicker, since both of them are Qualcomm based. The original Pre took the longest since it was the first venture.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Cool. Certainly sounds positive then. Was this bought online or in store? Looking at the site for Best Buy (as I know they're one of the distribution channels HP uses) but they seem pretty determined to sign you up for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBatman View Post
    Cool. Certainly sounds positive then. Was this bought online or in store? Looking at the site for Best Buy (as I know they're one of the distribution channels HP uses) but they seem pretty determined to sign you up for life.
    Amazon.

If the store you go to won't sell, just go to another one.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here