1.    #1  
    I'll admit, I don't keep with every new phone release. Heck, it's almost impossible to keep up with all the commercials for every new Android phone released. However, I found this following sentence in the guest editorial for PreCentral interesting:

"Since it was announced in February 2011, at least 8 new Android handsets have been announced on Verizon alone and several of those have already been released, with specifications that are significantly better than the Pre 3..."

http://www.precentral.net/guest-edit...rtphone-makers

Now, he doesn't elaborate on what all the specs are on current phones that are significantly better than the Pre 3, but it begs the question: If the Pre 3 is already surpassed in specs by other phones on the market and the launch is potentially delayed, will this phone be DOA?

That article also makes the good point that while WebOS may be far and away the best mobile OS out there, nobody will ever see it it keeps being released on inferior hardware with outdated specs. Like most here, I do agree that you can't beat WebOS and it's disappointing that people just can't see how much better it is than anything else. But it just doesn't seem like the Pre 3 is going to do much to turn the tide.

Was the Pre 3 the last of the Palm ideas that HP is putting out the door?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Now, he doesn't elaborate on what all the specs are on current phones that are significantly better than the Pre 3, but it begs the question: If the Pre 3 is already surpassed in specs by other phones on the market and the launch is potentially delayed, will this phone be DOA?
    I’ve been looking into the Android options on VZW because I’m tired of the Pre+ and I’m checking my options. A few random thoughts…

I can say that for the most part, the Pre3 still looks to be competitive *if it releases immediately.* As it stands, the phones available today are not necessarily “lapping” the Pre3.

Some have bigger screens, which isn’t exactly an improvement so mush as just a preference (personally I see the big, 4.3” screens as a detriment but others obviously like.)

A couple have high speed LTE for faster data speeds, but the current three that do have it have issues with battery life. This isn’t a knock against the specific phones per say as it is an acknowledgement that LTE is not matured enough yet.

The apps available speaks for itself, browse what’s available on WebOS and then browse all that is available on Android.

Right now, the phone available on VZW that most closely stacks against the Pre3 is arguably the Droid Incredible II. It’s still relevant (not considered outdated) but it is also considered a “mid level” phone. That said most people that own it seem to love it.

As for release timeline, the Droid 3 will release soon (possibly as soon as tomorrow) packing some significant hardware (including a full, 5 row keyboard) and the Droid Bionic will be the new LTE powerhouse when it releases late this month, early next month. Further, the Samsung Galaxy S II is expected to release a few weeks after that. If the Pre3 trails all of them to the countertops, then it will start to look outdated, imo.

-Suntan