Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    yay! Do I win a prize?
    More likely, they removed product details because the device isn't selling in the summer anymore.
    The FCC has reviewed a Verizon Pre 3, not a Sprint Pre 3. The question about whether to go WIMAX or LTE may be playing a part in the delay. LightSquared is no sure bet, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by starburst View Post
    The FCC has reviewed a Verizon Pre 3, not a Sprint Pre 3. The question about whether to go WIMAX or LTE may be playing a part in the delay. LightSquared is no sure bet, either.
    FCC doesn't care about the carrier, they care about the hardware only. The CDMA radios work for both Verizon and Sprint.

Pre to Pre Plus and Pixi to Pixi Plus applications were Class II changes, for the extra memory and storage on the Pre Plus and Wi-Fi on the Pixi. There was no separate SAR report for the cell radio.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Yes, but Sprint uses some frequencies that are different than Verizon. They have different spectrum. If Sprint gets a phone, it will be reviewed by the FCC as a Sprint phone. And Because Sprint uses WIMAX, their phones have a different radio than Verizon's. Both will be compatible with CDMA. Sprint phones have an additional WIMAX radio. So, they are different.
    Yes, but Sprint uses some frequencies that are different than Verizon. They have different spectrum. If Sprint gets a phone, it will be reviewed by the FCC as a Sprint phone. And Because Sprint uses WIMAX, their phones have a different radio than Verizon's. Both will be compatible with CDMA. Sprint phones have an additional WIMAX radio. So, they are different.
    That only applies if this is a 4G device which, as far as we know, it isn't.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    maybe we're getting closer to confirmed availability of the P3. I sure hope so!
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It should also be noted that it appears the site was slightly resigned
    Aren't we all . . .
    deesugar, Hobbz and Slowshutter like this.
    Well, if come early September there is still no clear word on the Pre 3 with Sprint (not looking good) then I will probably get the Photon, GSM and CDMA phone combined.
    With the info about the Iphone5 leaking out HP should skip the Pre3 since its a dinosaur even before release especially when compared to the new iphone. HP should admit to themselves that they missed a generation and try to get ahead of the curve..
    this is a speculative guess as Palm doesn't exist. HP bought them over a year ago.

different teams working on Pre3 on 2.2 and TouchPad/Enyo. While they will keep in touch, this shouldn't be a major issue. I hope a company of 320,000 plus employees can find additional resources if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    My pure speculative guess (what the heck) is Palm is swamped with handling TouchPad bugs and so the Pre3 US release will be delayed until they can focus on 3.0 for the phones (and VZW does not wish to release a 2.x version as it has the Pre2 so it wants to wait for 3.0, for that matter ATT has the Veer)
    You didn't hear? The Pre 3 is being released at CES 2012! That's what HP meant when they said "Think Beyond", like you won't be seeing the Pre 3 again until next year!

I kid, but the more I joke about it, the more I believe it. I doubt the Pre 3 is coming this summer, pretty sure that's why it was always stressed in interviews & on the website as "Planned Availability" Summer 2011. As we all know, plans change
    There has to be a reason why they didn't release the Pre3 with the TouchPad (or announce it at the launch). They didn't just decide to finish up the 3.0 upgrade then put it out. At the Think Beyond event they said that it was going to be released with 2.x then upgraded, now its going to be released with 3.0. And then there is the fact that it is getting bumped further back into fall and not the summer achievement bar. I really believe that there is something going on behind the scenes whether it be spec bump, 4G, or something else. The Pre3 will have some nice WebOS candy ready for us when announced.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    If HP decides to add a Pre 3 model that includes WIMAX, then yes, a new FCC filing will be necessary. There is no reason that the existing CDMA Pre 3 would need an additional FCC filing just to work on Sprint's network. The CDMA compatible Pre 3 has neither LTE nor WIMAX so there is no reason that it wouldn't work on both Verizon and Sprint under the same FCC filing.

Your post would carry much more weight if the device had been announced as a 4G device and the CDMA filing included testing of an LTE radio. That would suggest a Verizon only device.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhives View Post
    With the info about the Iphone5 leaking out HP should skip the Pre3 since its a dinosaur even before release especially when compared to the new iphone. HP should admit to themselves that they missed a generation and try to get ahead of the curve..
    You have no idea what's in the iPhone 5. Rumors had it that the iPad 2 would have HDMI-out, a 2048*1522 display, and run on unicorn blood instead of electricity. None of it came to pass, but people were, of course, not disappointed that Apple didn't meet expectations, they were happy with what they got (something that only happens to Apple).

So the iPhone 5 will probably just be a slightly thinner and lighter iPhone 4 with a quicker processor and a revolutionary wireless Touchstone (have you heard the rumors about an alternate charger? yeah.)

Which doesn't mean anything for the Pre3 since it's not an iPhone competitor, having a physical keyboard. It's a blackberry competitor more than anything else.

The question is when HP will release its keyboardless iphone competitor, and what it'll look like.
    And yet another conspiracy theory...

HP Canada's page got updated too to the new design. Seems like ALL references of the Pre 3 have been removed. Even for the TouchPad, they removed references of Touch-to-Share as a feature offered on the TouchPad.

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 07/08/2011 at 06:45 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And yet another conspiracy theory...

HP Canada's page got updated too to the new design. Seems like ALL references of the Pre 3 have been removed. Even for the TouchPad, they removed references of Touch-to-Share as a feature offered on the TouchPad.
    I did a little looking around, and although Touch to Share has been removed from the 'Features' tab of the site, it can still be found in the 'Tech Specs' section by hovering over the superimposed plus sign on the front of the TouchPad.

Also, the Russell Brand video highlighting TTS is still available from the HP site.

Eliminated? No. Greatly downplayed? Certainly.

The general public isn't obsessed with this whole is the Pre3 coming? When? Where? How much? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But, for me, the whole uncertainty in the product releases for HP is making me lose hope. I need to hear something soon. A month ago, I was ready to pick up a TouchPad for Christmas to go with my Sprint/AT&T Pre3. Now? Ummm...I guess I'll take the next Android phone or something.

I haven't given up on webOS; but this delay with the only communication of a release date for the phone is the sound of chirping crickets, I'm losing faith, patience, and desire...sigh.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Development cycles are 8-10 months now. The Droid X was Aug 2010 and the Droid X2 was June 2011. That's 10 months. The Droid 2 was August 2010 and the Droid Pro was November. The Droid 3 is now.

The Samsung Galaxy S was July 2010 and the Galaxy S II was April 2011. That's 9 months. Samsung has already said that the Galaxy S III will be at CES 2012. That's 9 months.

February 9 to September 21 is 7 1/2 months. That's a design cycle.

HP said that they missed a design cycle. The Pre 3 was a great phone for when it was to be released in Spring 2010. It was close in specs to the original EVO, Galaxy S, Droid X, Incredible, etc. It was to match the iPhone 3GS and came pretty close.

The Pre 3 that we will see in September will be what was supposed to have been the Pre 4. It will be able to compete with the EVO 3D and Droid X2. It may not equal the Galaxy S II because that was such a huge leap forward but it will be able to compete head on. And it will compete with the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 may be another matter.

Remember HP does not make phones. Foxconn is who currently makes HP branded phones. Foxconn can turn around a development cycle in 8-10 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Development cycles are 8-10 months now. The Droid X was Aug 2010 and the Droid X2 was June 2011. That's 10 months. The Droid 2 was August 2010 and the Droid Pro was November. The Droid 3 is now.

The Samsung Galaxy S was July 2010 and the Galaxy S II was April 2011. That's 9 months. Samsung has already said that the Galaxy S III will be at CES 2012. That's 9 months.

February 9 to September 21 is 7 1/2 months. That's a design cycle.

HP said that they missed a design cycle. The Pre 3 was a great phone for when it was to be released in Spring 2010. It was close in specs to the original EVO, Galaxy S, Droid X, Incredible, etc. It was to match the iPhone 3GS and came pretty close.

The Pre 3 that we will see in September will be what was supposed to have been the Pre 4. It will be able to compete with the EVO 3D and Droid X2. It may not equal the Galaxy S II because that was such a huge leap forward but it will be able to compete head on. And it will compete with the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 may be another matter.

Remember HP does not make phones. Foxconn is who currently makes HP branded phones. Foxconn can turn around a development cycle in 8-10 months.
    If what you said was true, why did they even bother certifying THREE variants of the Pre 3?

Is this really the TS charging dock for TP as represented on the TP website in the features section?

HP TouchPad Tablet | HP Official(R) Site
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast