Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I don't know what to think anymore. It is ridiculous that we have ZERO news related to a phone that is awaited by hundreds of thousands of users. Could it be related to hardware issues they might find and don't want to release a product that emulates the original Pre in quality?

I'm waiting until July 19th when Galaxy S2 is released and if I got no news by then, I will let go of Pre3. I bet many users already do this, looking for alternatives. I just don't understand why HP does not makes a comment just to let us know what is going on.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Maybe it has to do with carriers. To me it seems like the Pre 3 should be ready to go.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    It's the seasons fault! I even looked it up in Wikipedia, those are very flexible time frames.
    virtualkyr and T3CK like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    It's the seasons fault! I even looked it up in Wikipedia, those are very flexible time frames.
    Haha. Good one.

Seriously though, no one but HPalm knows what is going on (obviously). It's fun to speculate though.

It's been well debated on these forums, but my thoughts for the potential black hole of news on the Pre3 are:

(1) HP is still working on getting official US carriers

(2) HP is having some sort of hardware/software issue. Whether it be sources of parts for the hardware or coding issues with the software.

(3) HP has seen all the recent handset announcements and is bumping specs to be more competitive from a spec standpoint.

(4) HP has not completed negotiations or contracts etc with major software developers that it wants to play ball with. (Quick Office, as noted on the TP)

(5) There was some significant design flaw that was uncovered late in the game and it needed to be fixed to prevent a debacle like the original Pre- launch on Sprint.

Those are just some reasons that come to my mind.

I wish HP would give us some real teasers, that it is actually really coming SOON.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Maybe it has to do with carriers. To me it seems like the Pre 3 should be ready to go.
    If the Pre3 is ready, why they don't offer it for sale, unlocked like they do with Pre2. OK, maybe they get some deals to have it exclusive with AT&T or other carrier. But all major carriers offer the Pre (or Veer for AT&T), so their systems are compatible.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    ljbad4life likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Maybe no one wants it. That IS a possibility.

With TONS of devices out there, the carriers have to pick and choose what product will SELL and SELL a lot of. It's not as simple as just adding a phone to their line-up and call it a day.

There needs to be support involved, training, logistics, warranty support, network compatibility etc etc. all of this requires time and money and to make up for that, they need to sell a reasonable amount.

If the carrier sees a higher potential in other phones, they're more likely to spend those resources towards that.

But who knows what's going on. I really dont think it's hardware, what possible hardware issue could there be? Radios? Veer seems to be fine on AT&T? Processor.... doesn't seem it would be. Screen? Doubt it, pretty generic screen there. Keyboard? probably not, just a bigger one than the Veer.... I'm trying to guess what hardware piece could cause delays, and can't seem to think of one, sadly.

Supply delays? usually these are resolved in matter of weeks, not MONTHS! No large company working at this capacity would work with suppliers who's ETA on parts is months away (well they shouldn't atleast). Then again, this is Palm/HP, they do things in mysterious ways.

In my opinion, pre3 will have a short life before it's refresh cycle. It's hardware is already nearing the end the of it's life cycle.

More processing power, larger high res. screens, more capacity, thinner, lighter.... this is what the people want (I'm think majority, not niche markets, PRE central users are Niche market, we can't keep HP/Palm afloat from just our sales).
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Posted on the frontpage, it looks like Pre3 is delayed for fall.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are parts shortages as a result of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are parts shortages as a result of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami.
    I honestly doubt that. Pre3 wouldn't have come any sooner regardless of the disaster. If such was the case, it would have been in Hp's best interest to clarify it. Everyone else did.

They launched the Veer, the Touchpad.... What? Those didn't run into these mysterious shortages?

Sorry but hardware shortages just doesn't jive with the delay. Everything points to carrier reluctance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I honestly doubt that. Pre3 wouldn't have come any sooner regardless of the disaster. If such was the case, it would have been in Hp's best interest to clarify it. Everyone else did.

They launched the Veer, the Touchpad.... What? Those didn't run into these mysterious shortages?

Sorry but hardware shortages just doesn't jive with the delay. Everything points to carrier reluctance.
    If the pre3 was ready then HP can release an unlocked gsm pre3, just like they did for the pre2. the unlocked pre2 was released before the verizon pre2. That pretty much kills the carriers are at fault nonsense

minirant/ There are too many people on this forum drinking from the h/palm kool aid and want to make fun of apple ******* when they are just as bad!/rant over
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Any chance they are modifying it based on phone that have come out since then to match/exceed specs better?

I'm guessing not. Because if this were the case, wouldn't it just make sense to say so? Or it is hoping that we'll get touchpads without news of the pre3?
    I believe that a high end Android device is about to launch with the same single core 1.4ghz processor as the Pre3, so I think it is still somewhat competitive, but with Apple releasing an iPhone dual core in September, it is going to look bad no matter what. So I think a hardware design change may be in order.
    More likely, I think HP/Palm is completely overwhelmed with fixing the bug mess that is WebOS 3.0. (Not a flame, just someone who has used it and loves WebOS). I think they have no time for WebOS 2.x, I think the Veer has bombed sales-wise and review-wise, and they are probably regrouping and rethinking everything right now.
    I would think the priorities right now are:
    1. is to get WebOS 3.0 fixed and stable on the Touchpad (and upcoming 7 inch tablet), this is also critical so that it can run on HP PC's as promised. I imagine this is a huge task given what is in front of HP right now - the lack of stability and bugs in WebOS is huge. This isn't just putting polish on the OS; they've got to get it stable. The TouchPad rebooted on me more than my Windows 3.1 old computer. I think this is high related to the phones; they've got to get the firmware stable for the phone too.
    2. Less priority: make a phone that people actually want to buy. I'm sure some people at HP are really doubting the Pre3 now due to the lackluster reception of the Veer. I have no idea but it would not shock me for HP to completely doing something different.
    It may be software. You don't mess with peoples' phones or as Steve Jobs said they just have to work. Based on my experience with the Touchpad parts of webOS (like email) still need some work. People can get by without a tablet but they rely on the phone day in and day out, so the smart phone OS has to function and be reliable. That is my guess: too many glitches in webOS 3.0 in the wild.

If I'm right, I can respect HP's decision to delay, even if it does not make me happy.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    the pre 3 has virtually no chance of success ,they should just release it and go back to drawing board and give us a new candy-bar style phone with good blackberry style keyboard,a little wider than motorola phone thin like a pixi
    The keyboard designed buy palm looks toy-like,decent camera and fix those bugs.
    After that we're going to wait for apps.
    i really don't why :the loyalty i felt about palm doesn't translate with HP in phone but i've always liked HP in computers
    I also guess that they need to focus their resources to webOS 3.0. Backporting stuff to 2.x just is a waste if you are planning to go to 3.0 asap. So the delay may probably be because they want to ship the Pre 3 with enyo.

That being said, which developer in his right mind would want to start a webOS project based on mojo right now with enyo right around the corner. WebOS 3.0 must be the top priority at the moment, at least to get more apps for webOS soon.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Two letters: 4G

Maybe HP is trying to load up the phone with 4G prior to its launch on Sprint.

Something else to note is this little note at the bottom of the page:

HP webOS for 4G Pre3. Simply Amazing. | HP Official(R) Site

"1. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available."

Unlimited plan recommended? Sounds to me like a Sprint phone, eh?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Something else to note, Pre3 specs are no longer available on the HP website.

This URL is a blank page:
    http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...ones/pre3.html

...and no other place on the site has the specs available. I searched for 'tech specs' and the top result was:

Pre3 Smartphone Technical Specifications | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones | HP

Click the link and there are the current spec... what? No specifications on the "Pre3 Smartphone Technical Specifications | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones | HP" page?

Can anyone say, 'reworked hardware'?
    bausti25 likes this.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wassupTC View Post
    Something else to note, Pre3 specs are no longer available on the HP website.

This URL is a blank page:
    http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...ones/pre3.html

...and no other place on the site has the specs available. I searched for 'tech specs' and the top result was:

Pre3 Smartphone Technical Specifications | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones | HP

Click the link and there are the current spec... what? No specifications on the "Pre3 Smartphone Technical Specifications | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones | HP" page?

Can anyone say, 'reworked hardware'?
    Not sure whats up with your link but the Pre3 is still up with specs on HP USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Not sure whats up with your link but the Pre3 is still up with specs on HP USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses.
    I clicked your link but find no specifications whatsoever. I'm not talking about features, etc. I'm talking about specifications, such as what is shown for the Veer phone:

HP Veer 4G Smartphone | HP Official(R) Site
    You can see the link for "tech specs" still through a Google's cached page for the Pre 3, but they're definitely gone from HP's current Pre 3 page. Certainly supports the hypothesis that there's a spec bump or hardware redesign in the works. If it is delayed till fall, I really hope the specs are improved.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast