Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    My fiance recently finished medical school and started her residency with the Navy in DC. She's been holding off on getting a smartphone until she started residency and is ready to take the plunge. She was going to go out a couple weeks ago and just get some Android phone, but I talked her into waiting until I was up visiting in a few weeks and going out to get the Pre 3 then (which I assumed would be available by that time). I even managed to convince her to get the Pre 3, even though it doesn't have Epocrates. Unfortunately, she absolutely cannot wait until the fall, so she'll have to go Android (or iPhone...as heartbreaking as that would be). I'm not criticizing HP for the delay. Nobody knows what all the reasons are. But I'm bummed that she was a lock to get a WebOS device and now she just can't get one.

I'm still on board for the Pre 3 when my contract is up in December and would like to have had my fiance on the same phone.
    Why would you tell her that it has been delayed?

Anything you read/hear on the internet from "anonymous"s sources is mere speculation until confirmed by HP themselves.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

3.    #3  
    It seems fairly obvious from the information posted by PreCentral that it's delayed until the fall. The fact that we haven't heard anything about its release also indicates its not happening anytime terribly soon.
    PreCentral isn't HP; that may or may not have been a valid document, or an outdated document.

They said "Summer" - until they formally annonce differently, I'd not give too much stock in anything else you hear or read.

On the flip side of things, we even have posts of online retailers offering pre-orders now...

Just sayin....
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LOL...she's not the only fatality. There are several moping around the forums in anger and various other stages of grief, when they lost webOS, they lost a good friend. It's like they keep coming back to a gravesite, hoping to see a webOS phone come to life, lashing out of the rest of us who haven't experienced their tragedy. I just read what I typed...gosh that's morbid. Hopefully soon we will all get the miracle we've been holding out for over two years.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    LOL...she's not the only fatality. There are several moping around the forums in anger and various other stages of grief, when they lost webOS, they lost a good friend. It's like they keep coming back to a gravesite, hoping to see a webOS phone come to life, lashing out of the rest of us who haven't experienced their tragedy. I just read what I typed...gosh that's morbid. Hopefully soon we will all get the miracle we've been holding out for over two years.
    Might be a morbid picture you have painted but it seems to be the truth.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    PreCentral isn't HP; that may or may not have been a valid document, or an outdated document.

They said "Summer" - until they formally annonce differently, I'd not give too much stock in anything else you hear or read.

On the flip side of things, we even have posts of online retailers offering pre-orders now...

Just sayin....
    Well when Ruby appeared on the Engadget show earlier this year, he did make sure to point out that summer officially ended in September. Now, technically that's still summer, but it may as well be Fall. If the Pre 3 doesn't ship this month, or early August, I don't see it selling well.

Once Apple makes their iPhone 5 announcement, either late Aug or early Sept; the tech world will go into a frenzy, and I can't see Verizon or AT&T pushing the Pre 3 when the new iPhone comes out.

This really is a golden opportunity for HP to push the Pre 3. No new iPhone was announced this summer, and the Pre 3 would get a lot more attention. Once the iPhone is out, and the flood of new Android "superphones" hit the market, I don't see how the Pre 3 will see the light of day.

Hopefully HP gets the Pre 3 out within the next few weeks.
    the Pre2 and Veer are excellent alternatives...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The Veer is certainly a "niche" device.. not for everyone, but, definitely for someone who likes a minimalist approach to a real smartphone...

The Pre2 would be a good mid-power smartphone for most, who want, and desire a physical keyboard.. I wouldn't argue that, at all.

But, neither are on the level of any of the smartphones available today, hardware and feature wise.. only the Pre3 would come close, and with that portrait keybard and 3.6" diagnal 24bit screen and 1.4 ghz CPU, it would really, REALLY stand a chance at becoming a real contender, against anything out now, and with an established sales momentum, even against the iPhone 5 when that debuts in September for sale.

However, the time is ripe, right now, for a killer Qwerty keyboard phone with WebOS on it.. there's nothing to really compete with it, and it could make huge inroads to establishing WebOS in the hearts and minds of many new smartphone buyers.

I do NOT think HP is that clueless to not see that - the iPhone, scheduled for announcement in August, is going to draw sales, just because its "Apple".. the more smartphone consumers that arent locked into a contract by then, the larger those sales will be.

I may be wrong, but, I don't see the logic in a Pre3 delay, unless there are forces that HP cannot control, and, Im sorry, that's something I would find difficult to believe.

When I hear it straight from HP, that's when I'll believe it (or, if they dont say anything and wind up releasing it in September or after).. and then, I'll certainly have something to say about that.. and it won't be kind.

they are on the level for other smartphones if you require webOS, which was the implication I read in to the OP. I see no reason for it to be "Pre3 or nothing" when both of those are fine alternatives.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    The Pre 2 is not a viable alternative for the Pre3 or a mid/high level smartphone anymore. It's just too far out of date (about a year behind top line phones). The Pre 2 will probably be considered straight up out of date next year. Certainly a big upgrade from a Pre, but that's not saying much anymore. I certainly wouldn't advocate anybody spending hundreds on the device.

In regard to the Veer, I've used it and it's shockingly snappy. Really neat little device, but it stinks to try and browse the web with it and there is limited app support for the tiny and low res screen.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    another fatality here. just picked up a thunderbolt this afternoon. any lingering hopes for webos faded with this mornings info about the fall pre 3 release. while in the store i had a chance to compare a pre 2 right next to vz's lte offerings. the pre 2 felt like it was from a different error. the "too many cards error" with no cards open was pretty amusing.
  13.    #13  
    I would partially agree. However, the Veer is just too small for what she would need. I do think the Pre 2 is a fine smartphone, but there are a couple little things that have scared her away from it. First, although the GPS is much improved over the Pre Plus, she's still seen me trying in vain to get a GPS lock on many occasions. Having to close and reopen the app several times seems cumbersome to her. Also, the fickle touchscreen on the Pre 2 is a concern for her. It's been written about a good bit in the Pre 2 forum, but the touchscreen randomly will stop working. In which case you have to press the power button to turn the screen off, then press it again to unlock it. None of these are major issues for me, but she just wants something that works all the time. And, I can't really bring myself to convince her to sign a 2 year contract on a phone that will be surpassed in all specs by the Pre 3 within the next few weeks/months. I convinced her that these issues would be resolved in the Pre 3, but she really just won't be able to wait another 2 months or whatever.
  14.    #14  
    Just to clarify...I am not a casualty. I'm still firmly in the WebOS camp and anticipating owning a Pre 3 on the day I'm eligible for an upgrade in December.
    I agree, I would like to have either available to me. Unfortunately they are not. When my Pre- inevitably dies, I will be forced to make a difficult choice of which android phone to go with.
    I think the word you are looking for is "casualty." A "fatality" is a death. I would hope your SO did not die because of the rumored delay.

I kept wondering when you were going to release the details on the death.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Pre 2 is not a viable alternative for the Pre3 or a mid/high level smartphone anymore. It's just too far out of date (about a year behind top line phones). The Pre 2 will probably be considered straight up out of date next year. Certainly a big upgrade from a Pre, but that's not saying much anymore. I certainly wouldn't advocate anybody spending hundreds on the device.

In regard to the Veer, I've used it and it's shockingly snappy. Really neat little device, but it stinks to try and browse the web with it and there is limited app support for the tiny and low res screen.
    If the alternative is the iPhone or Android, and webOS is preferred, then I don't agree. I am REALLY happy with my Pre2 . So happy that I am not near as anxious for the Pre3 - happy enough that I can wait for my upgrade and then some...

The OP is considering an iPhone, so that makes the Pre2 and Veer viable. IMHO by the time TTS is good for anything besides something cool to show in a commercial spot, the Pre4 will be available.

If you own a Pre2 and can speak to any deficiency please do. But as an alternative to the iPhone or a slab Android (physical keyboard is a must for me) I would opt for the Pre2 or Veer any day. I've carried them both extensively and if the Veer was on VZW, I would consider it as viable as the Pre2 unless I was using the browser constantly.

Just my opinion.
    Totally agree. You're either convinced that webOS is a superior smartphone concept or you aren't. There are and will probably always be good hardware reasons to go elsewhere. You don't get a webOS phone for the hardware, not really. And I seriously doubt the Pre 3 is going to change that by very much, though it is spec'd out nicely and will hopefully have Veer-like build quality. It will be surpassed by something else out there in short order.

If you don't believe in webOS after using it for a while, then it may not be for you (ie its advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages under your user priorities).
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Might be a morbid picture you have painted but it seems to be the truth.
    Headlines read: "Pre 3 delays cause precentral zombies."

I needed to replace my son's broken phone. It has been busticated since about the middle of May. I kept telling him to hold off until July 17 but two nails were driven into that coffin recently:

1. The new Verizon data plan taking affect 7/7.
    2. The delay of the Verizon Pre 3 until September.

This zombie ordered (2) Pre 2's today which locked us into the unlimited data plan for 2 years. Oh well! Maybe I should get the insurance plan on them... that way if they break we may get Pre III's as replacements...
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Well, I do agree that there is a lot of value in webOS, but the individual parts of the overall smartphone, service, hardware, software can't be considered on their own.

For a Sprint user, the service + hardware advantages of an EVO 3D might outweigh the software or OS. If you need a physical keyboard, though, that's a big hardware plus for the Pre 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast