Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    I dont even have a point to this thread.....I am trying my best to calm myself and take the latest news with a grain of salt. These rumors have been wrong hundreds of times so most likely this is one more.

I cant imagine after seeing fully functioning Pre 3s in February, and then again countless times in HP events, topping off with the developer units in the Touchpad videos that the Pre 3 could possibly be pushed back until FALL!!

Breathe!!!

If this is so....what on gods earth has HP been doing all this time???? Its the same phone they released 4 times already!!! Just a bigger screen....how can it be delayed even more??

Who would care about it in the Fall?? itll be the joke of the tech world!

Breathe!!!

I have to assume that these are just rumors....i cant imagine how on this earth HP would let this happen....I can understand August...but FALL???? Fall is late Sept!!
    And by an "Anonymous" source? I'm kinda gutted by this news, but at the same time it doesn't make a lot of sense. Why is HP announcing a big brother to a product they just released three days ago? I understand the tech world moves quick, but from a marketing standpoint, putting out an souped up version of a brand spankin' new product seems like a lousy way to build a user group. I read through all the comments on the main article and it's a really divided camp, and I'm not quite getting how some folks are defending HP's decision to hold off on the Pre3 until fall. Back to that marketing standpoint, wouldn't you want to get the TP's complimentary product out as quickly as possible so they could begin their honeymoon? All in all, none of it makes much sense and HP is not following any type of release model of anything else out there. If they want to distunguish themselves in these markets so bad, this does not seem to be the way to go about it. If this news is in fact true, it may be the final straw that pushes me over to a EVO. I'm giving them another month to put out some real news before I make the final committment.
  3.    #3  
    Ugh dude id love to tell you to do it...but Im not even rocking my Pre Plus anymore...Im on iPhone 4...I thought the transition would be quick...but here I am 5 months later and im in hell....I wish I never did it....I cant stand this phone....not after having a Pre Plus

I carry my pre plus with me everyday and use it over wifi at home and work....use iphone just for calls... didn't have a choice I was struck with the "Stuck in headset mode bug".... couldn't alk on phone and Pre 2 wasn't out yet....so i grabbed an iphone...still regret it

I know the wait is killing you but id sooner tell u to jump to VZ and get a Pre 2 before an EVO....or grab a Pre2 on ebay and Franken Pre it
    I can't wait until the fall. I think I'm going wp7 on a Samsung Focus. The phone maybe old but I get it free with a contract renewal. I've been nursing a cheap samsung feature phone since early February due to me losing my pre plus. I figured I'd just wait until my early upgrade and get a pre 3, well my upgrade was the the 16th of last month, man that article really knocked the breath outta me. I guess I'll revisit webos in 2013, hopefully by then HP will have a strong product line in place.
    Weeeellll, I didn't think I could wait for fall, either, but since my Jaguar XKR just ate a ball joint, and my HTPC is having a heart attack, I guess I might be spending money on something other than a phone...
    I'm cool, my Pre is over 2 years old and still going strong. I got my new TouchPad to keep me entertained for a few months anyways. One thing is for sure, whoever gets the Pre 3 first is where I will be. More pressing things in life than a phone.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Remember, the Veer came a month earlier then this released timetable. Also, remember that Derek was using a Pre 3 (destined for Europe) that he didn't want to give up while reviewing the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Wonder how many review units they sent out, maybe thats whats causing the shortage.
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/06/2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: poor spelling
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilkell View Post
    weeeellll, i didn't think i could wait for fall, either, but since my jaguar xkr just ate a ball joint, and my htpc is having a heart attack, i guess i might be spending money on something other than a phone...
    rich-off!
    The Pre 3 delay until Fall might be to allow what would have been the Pre 4 to be brought to market now as the Pre 3.

Samsung just did this. Samsung announced the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in February. The iPad 2 came out in March and Samsung withdrew the initial 10.1 and skipped to what was to have been the 10.1 II now calling it the Tab 10.1.

The Pre 3 originally was originally designed by Palm under the codename "c40" for a spring 2010 release, then moved to July 2010. Palm would have had a Pre 4 already in the works for 2011 and a Pre 5 for 2012.

Here's a quick history of the Pre 3 (c40):
    Aug 2009: Derek Kessler breaks the c40 story - Verizon's database
    Jan 2010: Palm c40 in Sprint database - Phone Arena
    Apr 2010: HP buys Palm
    Aug 2010: c40 Final specs from Sprint July 2010 release
    Feb 2011: Pre 3 matches rumored c40 specs

If Palm had not faltered and then been acquired by HP, the Pre 3 would have came out against the iPhone 3GS, Moment, Nexus One, and Devour.

Apple: iPhone 3GS → iPhone 4 → iPhone 5
    The Pre 3 was to be released against the iPhone 3GS. Then the iPhone 4 hit last summer and now September 5 is the iPhone 5 launch.

Samsung: Moment → Galaxy S → Infuse/Galaxy S II
    The Moment was Samsung's best in early 2010. The Galaxy S followed in the summer of 2010. 2011 brought the Infuse and Galaxy S II.

HTC: Nexus One → EVO 4G/Incredible → EVO 3D/Sensation
    The Pre 3 was to be released against the Nexus One. Then the Incredible and EVO 4G hit in 2010 and the EVO 3D & Sensation in 2011.

Motorola: Droid → Droid X → Droix X2 →Photon
    Morotola's best in early 2010 was the Droid. In August 2010, Moto had the Droid X, followed by the Droid X2 and Photon in 2011.

The Pre 3 in the spring of 2010 would have rocked.

As Jon Rubinstein said, "The reality is... we missed a product cycle last year..."

I think that the Pre 3 delay is so that HP can skip that product cycle Jon Rubinstein talks about. This fall we will see the Pre 4 released as the Pre 3.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    a few problems with this radical theory.

where does the pre2 fit into this scheme, and for that matter the veer?

If the pre3 was slated to be released ONE WHOLE YEAR AGO, what's the reason for its delay now, and why not just skip it altogether for the pre4, 5, or whatevr?
    The Pre 3 in this month (July) would rock! However, the same Pre 3 in the Fall when the iPhone 5 is supposed to be out...? I don't know... it will feel kind of late. Unless, they are beefing up the Pre 3 or making it a Pre 4.
    Motorola had just this issue with the Droid Bionic which was supposed to release months ago. They pulled it back and basically scrapped the “old” design and brought forward a newer design to take the name Bionic.

That said, it was pretty public and all hints of the old design was pulled from public early on. The fact that the Pre3 as we know it is still popping up here and there would make me question if HP is “retooling” anything.

-Suntan
    I'm still not seeing the delay? According to briefs, HP has until summer is over (Sept.21st ± 1 day). If the Pre3 is released prior to this day, it's still considered summer.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I'm still not seeing the delay? According to briefs, HP has until summer is over (Sept.21st ± 1 day). If the Pre3 is released prior to this day, it's still considered summer.
    Yes, that’s the technical definition.

On the other hand, for a bunch of customers that have been waiting already, when the thing is officially announced and models are available to play with in Feb, delivering it at the end of Sept is *seen as a delay.*

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Yes, that’s the technical definition.

On the other hand, for a bunch of customers that have been waiting already, when the thing is officially announced and models are available to play with in Feb, delivering it at the end of Sept is *seen as a delay.*

-Suntan
    That's kinda pushing the emotional buttons a bit far I've got a launch day Pre and a Pre2, but I don't see it as a "delay" because I was told at the ThinkBeyond event that they wouldn't be released until later in the summer. As Achill3s notes... it's still summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Pre 3 delay until Fall might be to allow what would have been the Pre 4 to be brought to market now as the Pre 3.

Samsung just did this. Samsung announced the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in February. The iPad 2 came out in March and Samsung withdrew the initial 10.1 and skipped to what was to have been the 10.1 II now calling it the Tab 10.1.

The Pre 3 originally was originally designed by Palm under the codename "c40" for a spring 2010 release, then moved to July 2010. Palm would have had a Pre 4 already in the works for 2011 and a Pre 5 for 2012.

Here's a quick history of the Pre 3 (c40):
    Aug 2009: Derek Kessler breaks the c40 story - Verizon's database
    Jan 2010: Palm c40 in Sprint database - Phone Arena
    Apr 2010: HP buys Palm
    Aug 2010: c40 Final specs from Sprint July 2010 release
    Feb 2011: Pre 3 matches rumored c40 specs

If Palm had not faltered and then been acquired by HP, the Pre 3 would have came out against the iPhone 3GS, Moment, Nexus One, and Devour.

Apple: iPhone 3GS → iPhone 4 → iPhone 5
    The Pre 3 was to be released against the iPhone 3GS. Then the iPhone 4 hit last summer and now September 5 is the iPhone 5 launch.

Samsung: Moment → Galaxy S → Infuse/Galaxy S II
    The Moment was Samsung's best in early 2010. The Galaxy S followed in the summer of 2010. 2011 brought the Infuse and Galaxy S II.

HTC: Nexus One → EVO 4G/Incredible → EVO 3D/Sensation
    The Pre 3 was to be released against the Nexus One. Then the Incredible and EVO 4G hit in 2010 and the EVO 3D & Sensation in 2011.

Motorola: Droid → Droid X → Droix X2 →Photon
    Morotola's best in early 2010 was the Droid. In August 2010, Moto had the Droid X, followed by the Droid X2 and Photon in 2011.

The Pre 3 in the spring of 2010 would have rocked.

As Jon Rubinstein said, "The reality is... we missed a product cycle last year..."

I think that the Pre 3 delay is so that HP can skip that product cycle Jon Rubinstein talks about. This fall we will see the Pre 4 released as the Pre 3.
    How do you know Pre 3 is C40 and not Roadrunner HD?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    a few problems with this radical theory.
    This information is not radical. Search the PreCentral blog for "c40" and look at all the articles, especially Dieter and Derek's work. PC has pretty good sources.

Historically you have a model shipping this year. You would often "slip-stream" tweaks in the follow-up runs. Next year's model is out for bids, and the model for the year after spec'ed out. The only radical part is that now the cycles are so much faster.

In June 2009, Palm had follow-up runs scheduled (Pre Plus, second Pre Plus run, Pre 2). Pre-production of the next model (Pre 3) would be starting. That is why the Pre 3 (c40) was showing up in server logs in Aug 2009. The next model (Pre 4) would be going out for bids. The initial Pre 5 specs would be set.

where does the pre2 fit into this scheme, and for that matter the veer?
    The Pre runs and Veer were different projects. The Pre 2 was the last Pre production run with a new glass screen and CPU clocked to 1GHz. Look at the Pre Plus vs. Pre 2 specs. Same jigs. The updated camera module is the same size and a glass screen.

If the pre3 was slated to be released ONE WHOLE YEAR AGO, what's the reason for its delay now, and why not just skip it altogether for the pre4, 5, or whatever?
    Jon Rubinstein said, "The reality is... we missed a product cycle last year..." But it was really more than that. The Pre 3 was slated for Spring 2010 but will be Sep 2011. The initial delay was money. The next delay was realignment into HP.

I hope the reason for this last delay is to let them ship the Pre 4 and call it the Pre 3. That's what Samsung did with the Tab 10.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    How do you know Pre 3 is C40 and not Roadrunner HD?
    Take a look at this article from when the c40 missed it's second launch window Aug 2010: c40 Final specs from Sprint July 2010 release
    • 1ghz CPU
    • 3.7″ glass screen
    • Revamped physical keyboard
    • Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    • Newer versions of webOS
    • 5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    • 800 x 480 resolution

Then when the Pre 3 specs were released in Feb 2011, here was the comparison: Pre 3 matches rumored c40 specs.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/06/2011 at 04:51 PM.
    I have never owned a smart phone. Before Feb. my research on phones and operating syatems got me interested in HP/Palm.
    In Feb. I was made aware of the Pre3. Lots of hoopla on this site and elsewhere. I decided that the Pre3 would be my first smart phone. I have been hanging in there waiting. However I will say that it is getting old. Having never owned a smart phone I am thinking that what the heck, I will not even notice a difference if I get something different. I know it will not be an IPhone so that leaves a gazillion selections of Android devices. Though I continue to hang on as time goes by I think about an Android phone more and more.
    Perhaps I am an unusual prospective customer. Maybe not many folks out there in my position. However I would think it is not a good approach to marketing to rely on the die hard fans and or Tech. oriented of a particular OS to keep it and a related phone offer alive.
    I want a Pre3 and WebOS, but am getting very close to making a different choice.
    My two cents.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    NoICon likes this.
    First - we don't have hard facts on when the Pre3 will be released. No official announcements yet.

Based on the rumors it seems likely that Pre3 will be delayed in US but released on time (july/august for summer release) in Europe.

That means the problem is not hard- or software - but carriers.
    Europeans don't have lower smartphone expectations than US customers - so a Pre3 that is ready for Europe is also ready for the US (unless it's CDMA specific problems).

That Sprint is struggling and focused on Android and not much interested in another webos device is old (non-)news.

Verizon is known for taking it's time with evaluation and just got the IPhone a couple months ago. That relationship with Apple might be reason alone (Apple possibly applying pressure?) why Verizon delays a new webos phone.

ATT is probably the most interested carrier (lost IPhone exclusivity) and easier to cater to with a worldwide release thanks to also using GSM. But might be distracted with the possible aquisition of T-Mobile. For the same reason T-Mobile might be constrained from making big deals.

Either way - if rumors about a soonish release of Pre3 in Europe are true - the delay is obviously a carrier decision - not HPs.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast