Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonepat11 View Post
    I know this might be asking to much today with the news on the Fall release of the Pre 3. Either way, I wanted to have a civilized discussion about what the reasoning behind this news might be.

1) It seems to me that it is the US carriers that are the problem. The device has been shown off at various events as well as Touchpad reviewers being sent European Pre 3s (Or so I heard). AT&T and Verizon might be looking at the specs and the previous history of the Pre/Pixi, the lackluster success of Windows phones and thinking there just isn't market room for more then Apple/Droid.

2) I would HOPE that to go hand in hand with the US carrier issues, they also decided to do a spec bump to compete with the Fall/Winter market which as it looks right now will be IP5 and the usual Android barrage, full of high end specs.

3) Lastly, maybe they want to go all in with WebOS 3.0 and just focus on the future as opposed to previous versions.

Who really knows what is going on. Let me know what you guys think and please, keep it civilized. Thanks!
    civilized? perhaps. calm; not at this stage. At this point, the 3 carriers have 1 thing in common: HP. I believe that it is due to HP that we are not seeing the pre3 until Autumn and that is waaaayy too long for a phone that debuted in February. I think HP is about to get lapped by the Samsung Galaxy 2 and the Iphone 5.
    Pa and I did the math on the two of us bailing on our 7-line Sprint plan and it ain't pretty for anybody. We've resolved to Sprinterize some Pre 2's in the event that the 3 doesn't land. We've (kinda) come to terms with the idea that that's what we're doing, but if anything, this delay kind of gives us (or me I guess, as I'm the family forum troller) hope. I'm hoping the delay is waiting on Sprint for a simultaneous 3-carrier launch. Stickin' with webOS either way, but if we knew the Pre 3 was comin' to Sprint we'd prolly both be touchpad owners already.. As is, I'm waiting for doc editing and wise ol' dad might be disciplined enough to wait for the next iteration.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I mean this is what i am thinking....whats the hold up?
    Well, I'll just stay calm and stick with my launch day Pre-, and see which happens first: Pre3 available, or Pre- dies. I believe my options would be pretty clear by then. One thing I am sure of is that every time I tryout an Android phone, the frustration makes me want to throw the phone against a wall. It's a nice computing platform, but the steps it takes to find a contact and make a call is just too convoluted to me.

I was tempted by the Veer, the build quality felt fabulous (some how the veer feels like a premium device to me while the Touchpad felt more like a plastic engineering prototype). However, that dongle connector for headphones and USB (strike one); non-removable battery (strike two); don't like AT&T that much (strike three), and I gave up.

Was dreaming about the day when I could use a Sprint Pre3 world phone and plug in my own SIM card whenever I go abroad, but I guess I'll have to forget about that for now. I would be willing to jump to Verizon, but their SIM cards are locked to Vodafone.

Meanwhile, on HP's side, it seams to me that while the Palm/webOS business group was protected from the bureaucracy of HP; they were also allowed to keep their habit of chronic procrastination. This Pre3 delay seems to be getting even worse then the original Pre delay. It just sucks that you show friends "hey, I got this phone with a cool OS, but there's no phone on the market that I would actually want to recommend..." It's just sad.
    I don't care when the Pre3 comes out. Just as long as its before Xmas.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    jalexmontes likes this.
    I went to the think beyond event in February and the pre3 seemed almost ready to be released. I can understand if they needed to get some software stuff ready, and needed fcc approval, but a possible fall release makes no sense to me. We weren't allowed to touch the touchpad, yet were able to hold the Pre3 and try it out. I thought the Pre3 and touchpad would launch together, possibly the touchpad launching after the Pre3. To me, it felt like HP was more interested in the touchpad from the beginning.

I don't know why this would launch in Europe first when the veer launched in the US first. Why would AT&T want to carry the veer but have no interest in the Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubbjubb View Post
    I don't know why this would launch in Europe first when the veer launched in the US first.
    Hmm. Maybe BECAUSE the veer launched in the US first?

Maybe because HP spreads stuff around instead of always giving it to you guys first?

Maybe because all the carriers saw this forum incessantly post "if no webOS phone comes to (carrier) i'll switch to Android", which is perfectly fine for the carrier, who has absolutely zero incentive to ever carry any webOS phones again since you've already said you'll take whatever the carrier will give you, and be happy with it.

*sips from his Pimm's Cup*
    major payne likes this.
    I do think the Pre 3 will be lapped by the time they release it in the US. It will be more of a mid-grade phone by Fall. I keep wondering if the carriers might be thinking the Pre 3 and it's portrait-slider form factor, is more of a niche phone and what they really want is a webOS slab because demand seems higher for slab phones?
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    Pretty much just what we all predicted. Summer '11 means Fall '11 means early Winter '11. I'd say I was dissapointed, if I was actually surprised by this. Bravo to you few that are still holding on. Bravo indeed.

Yeah especially the sprint folks. Lab mice to the bitter end. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Back during this spring, I would've thought that ATT would be a lock, especially given the FCC info. But now I'm wondering if poor Veer performance made ATT think twice on the Pre3. Damn.
    Yeah, and who could blame them after selling them so aggressively? /snark
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Maybe they are just putting a Wimax radio in it for Sprint

I am thinking a Nexus, I can always get a new HP phone next year - maybe. This even though no wimax in my area but what do you do when your pre craps out.

I really think it would behoove HP to make some announcement on the plans of when the phone would be available to carriers in the US, if any changes are being made, etc.
    Dan
    I don't see how the carriers are at fault here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not sure Apple could indeed put out a brick, call it an iPhone, and have people buy it. If HP consistently brings devices to the carriers that do not have the features or capabilities that the carriers believe will result in a positive user experience for the carriers customers, the carrier will not approve the device.

Carriers do not like the Pre3. Whether that's because it's missing a gyro or a better front facing camera or a bigger battery or any true 4G capability or webOS 2.2 is really buggy or a combination of items.

HP needs to know enough about the mobile market to build devices that will sell to a wide array of potential customers, and that means building what the carriers think their customers want.

The Pre3 was shown on February 9th. If HP has needed to fight with carriers for six months to get them to agree to launch the product, that's HP's fault for being arrogant, not the carriers' faults for not wanting to try to force market a product they don't think their customers want.
    I'll hazard that CDMA is becoming a yoke on us US folks getting these phones sooner plus the consolidation of the cell market here, where there's going to be one big main GSM carrier in the coming months (AT&T).

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I don't see how the carriers are at fault here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not sure Apple could indeed put out a brick, call it an iPhone, and have people buy it. If HP consistently brings devices to the carriers that do not have the features or capabilities that the carriers believe will result in a positive user experience for the carriers customers, the carrier will not approve the device.

Carriers do not like the Pre3. Whether that's because it's missing a gyro or a better front facing camera or a bigger battery or any true 4G capability or webOS 2.2 is really buggy or a combination of items.

HP needs to know enough about the mobile market to build devices that will sell to a wide array of potential customers, and that means building what the carriers think their customers want.

The Pre3 was shown on February 9th. If HP has needed to fight with carriers for six months to get them to agree to launch the product, that's HP's fault for being arrogant, not the carriers' faults for not wanting to try to force market a product they don't think their customers want.
    Well maybe in that case, not the carrier, but the entire wireless industry.

Why on earth the carrier should need to approve a device in the first place?

I've been using phones for many years in Asia (Hong Kong, specifically), and it's not until I move back to Canada a few years ago that I start hearing about this carrier approval BS. The carrier's responsibility should end at providing a SIM card.

That's actually one thing I applaud the Canadian carriers. The amount of carrier customization is much much lower lately. My Bell Pre was pretty much unbranded, not even the Bell logo on the slider. Now they just need to get rid of the stupid SIM locks. It's not like it's protecting anything with unlock codes so cheap these days.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    threed61#WN and LCGuy like this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Fall, huh? I'm almost out of time - my launch day Sprint Pre is starting to really slow down, and the housing is cracking on the corners, if it dies before "Fall", I'll pick up an EVO 3D. Even joined AndroidCentral yesterday, and it's full of old Pre-ple, many of which helped make the Pre so lovable! It was like coming home! :-)

The idea of waiting until Fall, and still not know if Sprint will even carry it.... that's a real kick in the nuts.

What to do with all these touchstones..... I'll miss the touchstone charging the most. ....followed by cards and swiping.

I started browsing apps, and well, it's not news here that all the apps we're missing and clamoring for are all there, ...and many more.

Really, though, I just want a Pre3 on Sprint. If I knew it was coming I would wait, but it looks more and more it won't happen.

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks, though..... maybe HP and Sprint will kiss and make up, (no one at my local Sprint store wants anything to do with anything Pre related, they hate it.) ....but I want a new phone by the end of July, and after playing with the Evo 3D the other day, It'll do just fine.

Sorry, for the lousy formatting, but I'm typing this on a nook color (which, ironicly runs Android 2.2) and it doesn't seem to add line breaks properly. ....I AM starting to get use to an on-screen keyboard, though. :-)
    The first time you have to lose your partially composed mms or email message because a new mail notification has the OS attention you'll regret making that switch. True multitasking remains a WebOS virtual exclusive and until you lose it you don't realize what you had. For that alone I'll hang in with my Pre+ or even move to a Pre 2 rather than another, lesser function Android/Apple/Blackberry unit.
    It only makes sense for this to be a carrier holdup, as it has to be much easier to build the Pre3 than the Touchpad. Considering webOS 2.xx is already running in 2 phones and the Veer has been released, blaming hardware or software delays makes little sense. HO must have a strategy which the carriers are impeding.

In response to those calling the Pre3 a mid level phone: If you are looking for monster specs, it's clear webOS isn't ever going to be for you. Giant LCD's, dual core blazing processors, etc; that's being left to Android. If you're in to that, go for it. webOS has always been about the experience. Experience speaks to the MASS majority of consumers, if not the bleeding edge spec geeks who trolls forums. Granted, HP must cleanup webOS so there are no lags, build a better mail app and spruce of app development. But all things being equal, if a total newbie walks in to buy a smartphone, and is given iPhone 4, Nexus S 4G and a Pre3, which gives him the best experience. IMO its the Pre and that's why I'm here, and that's why we're all waiting for a Pre3. The Pre3 specs are strong enough that assuming webOS code is cleaned up, this will be a great phone for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...Why on earth the carrier should need to approve a device in the first place?...
    US carriers heavily subsidize the cost of hand sets by locking their customers into contracts. If the phone turns out to be a total piece of junk, it makes the carrier look really bad and it makes the customer much more likely to leave.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Civilized and Internets don't mix.

But anyways, my money is still on the carriers. They probably haven't figured out how to cripple the phone to the bone yet, so they're saying no.
    I don't think is related to carriers. Or else your Veer will be crippled to the bone also... I bet is something related to hardware issues and HP does not want to make the same mistake as Palm did when they released a "cheap" phone. Remember the large number of exchanges occurred, I had to change my original Pre 4 times until I got a decent working unit.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I don't think is related to carriers. Or else your Veer will be crippled to the bone also... I bet is something related to hardware issues and HP does not want to make the same mistake as Palm did when they released a "cheap" phone. Remember the large number of exchanges occurred, I had to change my original Pre 4 times until I got a decent working unit.
    As I said in your thread. what hardware do you think could cause this delay?

More then likely it appears to be a carrier delay. They're probably just not willing to drop the $$$ on it just yet.

Maybe AT&T isn't entirely happy with the Veer numbers? They're giving the touchpad a shot now. They can't just throw their money at everything HP has to offer....

Pre3 should have been launched instead of the Veer. In my opinon Pre3 applies to a much larger market than the Veer.
    Last edited by sdguy101; 07/05/2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Pre3 should have been launched instead of the Veer. In my opinon Veer applies to a much larger market than the Pre3.
    I totally agree... plus from reading on frontpage it looks like Pre3 is delayed for fall.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast