Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jim Amos
  1.    #1  
    Reading the Touchpad reviews, it is clear that HP needs all the time it can get on Enyo software development and WebOS 3.0 software fixes, tweaks, and additions (like making a calculator app!?!).
    Running 2.3 on the Veer and Pre3, and having to support it, bug fix it, tweak it, etc., burns resources and just as importantly time that frankly Palm/HP does not have right now. They are obviously overwhelmed with what is on their plate as is, and had to release WebOS 3.0 with some pretty serious shortcomings and bugs according to PreCentral and most of the rest of the web.
    In addition, it will allow developers to sell and use their apps on the Touchpad as well as phones.
    Anyone heard any rumors on when the phones will be upgraded to 3.0? HP has a lot of balls in the air right now with WebOS and getting it right.
  2. #2  
    forget WebOS 3.0 JUST give us the Pre3 we can go from there
    Sukiyaki, Bokal and jalexmontes like this.
  3. Nefiorim's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Reading the Touchpad reviews, it is clear that HP needs all the time it can get on Enyo software development and WebOS 3.0 software fixes, tweaks, and additions (like making a calculator app!?!).
    Running 2.3 on the Veer and Pre3, and having to support it, bug fix it, tweak it, etc., burns resources and just as importantly time that frankly Palm/HP does not have right now. They are obviously overwhelmed with what is on their plate as is, and had to release WebOS 3.0 with some pretty serious shortcomings and bugs according to PreCentral and most of the rest of the web.
    In addition, it will allow developers to sell and use their apps on the Touchpad as well as phones.
    Anyone heard any rumors on when the phones will be upgraded to 3.0? HP has a lot of balls in the air right now with WebOS and getting it right.
    From what I heard HP is going to adopt an android-like approach with seperate branches for phones and tablets. 2.X will be the phone branch, whereas 3.X will be the tablet branch.
    2.2/2.3 should equal 3.0 feature-wise
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    forget WebOS 3.0 JUST give us the Pre3 we can go from there
    Lol, that's what I was thinking!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5. #5  
    o_O
    Newness Developments apps:

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefiorim View Post
    From what I heard HP is going to adopt an android-like approach with seperate branches for phones and tablets. 2.X will be the phone branch, whereas 3.X will be the tablet branch.
    2.2/2.3 should equal 3.0 feature-wise
    You might be right about that. However, it's not clear when phones will get Enyo. We haven't seen Enyo demo'd on any phones yet. But it is the plan to have Enyo on phones, whether that be through 3.0 on phones or not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefiorim View Post
    From what I heard HP is going to adopt an android-like approach with seperate branches for phones and tablets. 2.X will be the phone branch, whereas 3.X will be the tablet branch.
    2.2/2.3 should equal 3.0 feature-wise
    I'm not so sure about that. HP has said the Pre3/Veer/Pre2 can run 3.0 and not saying it will a be 2.x equivalent. I think they are shooting for a one OS over both devices. That is the principle behind Enyo. Now there may be differences in that tablet will be 3.x while the phone might be 3.x.x. I really have no idea what they are planning but they did specifically say those phones will get 3.0.
  8. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #8  
    yeah, i dont know ure sources but HP has been claiming all this time, develop the app once and have it work accross all devices.

    to me the only way for that to happen is for 3.0 to be accross the board. of course they may release one that is optimized for phones. but i think that will only happen after certain performance issues are irroned out with the TP
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefiorim View Post
    From what I heard HP is going to adopt an android-like approach with seperate branches for phones and tablets. 2.X will be the phone branch, whereas 3.X will be the tablet branch.
    2.2/2.3 should equal 3.0 feature-wise
    Do you have a source for that? I've never heard HP say they intended to keep webOS 2.0 around. The last I saw, the Pre3 and Veer were going to get webOS 3.0 in the fall. That was HP's line all along, I believe. webOS 3.0 will be coming to HP phones because being able to share the OS across multiple device types was the intent behind Enyo in the first place.

    Android is NOT staying fragmented, by the way. Tablets and Phones are BOTH getting Ice Cream Sandwich. Android is moving all devices to one version, just like webOS. Android 2.x is not optimized for tablets, and the UI sucks for tablet use so Google built Honeycomb, which turned out to be a huge flop. Now Google is combining elements of the codes for Honeycomb and Gingerbread into a new OS that can be used across multiple platforms.
  10. hamiller's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #10  
    Here's the latest info I have:

    Pre2, Veer and Pre3 will get an update to WebOS 3.

    3.0 is for tablets, probably needs work for it to work on phones, so I doubt it will happen that fast.
    now that the TouchPad is getting ready to ship, the teams are transitioning to bringing the 3.0 train to the phones. So no, it won't happen immediately, but it's on its way.
  11. #11  
    Pre3 will start with webOS 2.x just like the Veer did.

    This doesn't necessarily prevent the phones from running Enyo Apps, HP just needs to provide the Enyo framework underlying for webOS 2.x phones.

    I don't know if they will go this way first and release a "full" webOS 3.x on phones later.

    This would ease pressure on developers because you then can take one app for all OSes. And imho it would speed up a lot of things

    And...HP just made it possible for developers to combine webOS 1/2.x and 3.x versions of an app within the same app package/ID. So this would be a nice workaround. (albeit app packages get a bit big by that)


    But they could also try to go the hard way and try to release webOS 3.x for the phones asap.
    I think, that this way would use lots of ressources which could be better used to ruggedize webOS 3.x on the Touchpad line of devices.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    forget WebOS 3.0 JUST give us the Pre3 we can go from there
    + 1

Posting Permissions