Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By ttoepp71
  • 3 Post By mosdl
  • 4 Post By Jerandwend
  1.    #1  
    Would it be possible for HP to offer an unlocked Pre3 for Sprint users? I It would allow HP to handle issues with the phones and updates. i don't see why not.
    Sure, HP could do it, but would Sprint allow it? Currently, devices on Sprint and devices on Verizon could be activated by either carrier because of how CDMA technology. Even so, Sprint will not activate a Pre 2 on the network, and for good reason.

Sprint needs to make sure devices they activate on their network work with their network. Sprint isn't going to allocate testing resources just to the device that a single individual or even a fairly large group of people would use because of the cost of ongoing support. Once Sprint accepts a non-standard device on their network, there is a risk of poor customer experience with the device and Sprint's inability to service, repair or troubleshoot user issues. That could mean an angry user that is dissatisfied with Sprint, and a lower persistency rate which hurts Sprint's bottom line.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    At the touchpad unveil event, I saw a few HP employees with Sprint Pre2s. Pretty obvious the Pre2 was tested and approved, but Sprint didn't want it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    At the touchpad unveil event, I saw a few HP employees with Sprint Pre2s. Pretty obvious the Pre2 was tested and approved, but Sprint didn't want it.
    Can you blame them? The Pre 2 was being marketed for launch in October, 2010 using a very buggy version of webOS 2.0. By the time anybody decided to release it, it was 4 months later, the phone was totally outmatched in the specs and HP had already announced the next generation of phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Would it be possible for HP to offer an unlocked Pre3 for Sprint users? I It would allow HP to handle issues with the phones and updates. i don't see why not.
    What about people who call for support and the support technician doesn't have the training for the phone to troubleshoot the problem? I'm just thinking that while they are both a Personal Computer, you couldn't call IBM for support on an Apple computer.

I wish they would be like general support companies out there that support Apple and IBM, but for some of the advance things and resets that would be needed by them. I don't know if HP would give that information out to Sprint or T-Mobile or US Mobile that doesn't natively carry the phones, but if they did then it would fall back on the laps of Sprint if they want to allow it on their network.

Now if HP wanted to be the point of contact for any of those phone issues and would contact Sprint, T-Mobile or US-Mobile, etc for issues then they could do that and if the carriers allowed the phones on their system, then you would be getting closer to it being a reality.
    Or they were FrankenPre's! Oh wouldn't that just be the bomb with HP employees having FrankenPres!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Can you blame them? The Pre 2 was being marketed for launch in October, 2010 using a very buggy version of webOS 2.0. By the time anybody decided to release it, it was 4 months later, the phone was totally outmatched in the specs and HP had already announced the next generation of phones.
    Pre2 on Sprint would have kept Pre- owners happy though. I know I would switch to one right now if it was available.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoepp71 View Post
    What about people who call for support and the support technician doesn't have the training for the phone to troubleshoot the problem? I'm just thinking that while they are both a Personal Computer, you couldn't call IBM for support on an Apple computer.
    i don't understand your reference here. it doesn't make sense. why would anyone call IBM about a problem they are having with their Apple product...
  9.    #9  
    Pre2 on Sprint would have kept Pre- owners happy though. I know I would switch to one right now if it was available.
    speaking of... i bought a Pre 2 off of ebay and it should be here tomorrow. doing a conversion.

Sprint Pre2 with my Touchpad. hell yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i don't understand your reference here. it doesn't make sense. why would anyone call IBM about a problem they are having with their Apple product...
    have another one!!
    it was meant that you DON'T be so facetious
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/01/2011 at 09:52 AM.
    there are MANY conclusions available besides 'sprint didn't want it'.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The only other one is that Sprint wanted some changes HP didn't want to make.
    I kinda agree... if it had launched in October, 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    yes I can.... Because I would have rockin a fully supported pre2 right now instead of waiting around wondering how to use my upgrade.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I just hope we don't have to unlock it...hopefully we actually just get a Sprint Pre3. I have no desire at all to go to Verizon or god forbid AT&T
  16.    #16  
    how exactly does it work with the unlocked pre 2? does HP support it or do carriers? who would you call if you had an issue with it? i would think HP no?
    The only other one is that Sprint wanted some changes HP didn't want to make.
    Or, they are waiting until they get LTE deployed, or they are going to allow unlocked devices, or they are still planning to launch the Pre3 and are really good at keeping a secret, or wanted HP to build one with a wimax radio and HP declined, or are waiting for the smaller TP to launch with it as a bundle... etc etc etc...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I was in Walmart this afternoon in St. Charles, MO (Metro St. Louis Area) trying to patiently wait for my wife to do a return when I saw this 20-something young man walk in wearing a white polo shirt with HP WebOS embroidered on it. I said, "Excuse me" a couple of time until I got his attention. I asked him if he worked for HP and he said, "Yes" and followed up by asking if specifically on the WebOS side and he said, "Yes". I then said to him that I have to know if, and when, WebOS is coming to Sprint. He said without hesitation to look for it in an August release. I queried him intensely as to how certain he was of that. I asked him if he is certain that Sprint will be announced because I told him that it has already been made obvious that Verizon and ATT will be getting it. He said that enough details haven't been worked out with Sprint yet, but that the Pre3 will be released on all 3 major carriers at the same time. I explained to him that I really need to have some confidence in what he was saying because I have a launch day Pre minus, am a fanatical WebOS fan, am eligible for an upgrade and am finding it difficult to wait. I then asked him one more time point blank, "Are you so confident in what you are saying that it is worth it for me to hang on for a couple more months for an announcement?" He said again with confidence and an "in the know" way that yes I should have no hesitation, the Pre 3 will be on Sprint. So for me, at least, the rollercoaster ride continues. Today I have more hope than I have had in a long time.