Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    :
  2.    #2  
    I know it's hard, but Sprint users can only dream: watch this video!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yep, im prob gonna stop dreamin and go for att, especially if they give me that 1 penny deal from amazon!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    All the people staying on Sprint were probably watching that "Searching Network..." in the upper left hand corner the whole video
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I really just don't think that Sprint is getting the Pre3, let just face it. AT&T is obviously going to, Verizon has a passionate love for world phones, Sprint...... a past history with Palm phones ended now with the Pre2? They may get the Pre3 at the start of next year or even get the MantaRay but they will not be getting the Pre3. If they are going to be getting the Pre3 it will be because of all the calls and emails they have gotten. Which means they'd be getting it late.

This is just my realistic view of the Pre3 on Sprint. My advice to anyone who is staying on Sprint is to just get a new phone like the Evo 3D or the Nexus S. I had an Evo after my Pre- died and it was a great phone for the first few months. Android is a good OS but it just isn't the same as WebOS. The only way to find this out is for you to spend a little bit with Android and see how complicated it really is. You are a WebOS user for life once you drink the cool aid.
    - John Wayne
    Rennat, what did you find complicated about Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    All the people staying on Sprint were probably watching that "Searching Network..." in the upper left hand corner the whole video
    It's a very old video of the Pre3 (uploaded Feb. 20th, but looks like it's from the 9th Event). I think if any video was around where the "Network search..." turned into "Sprint", we would have heard about it by now.

...yes, I still watched it constantly, LOL.
    <<threads merged>>
    If no Sprint Pre3, I might consider an hTC phone running WP7 mango, if Sprint gets that. If no webOS nor WP7 mango, then Verizon Pre3 it is.

Sprint already heard us loud and clear, if they show by action (or lack of) that they don't care about us Pre- owners as customers, then it makes more sense to stop paying them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Rennat, what did you find complicated about Android?
    It wasn't complicated in a sense that it diminished productivity. It is a great OS. I guess the reason why I use complicated is because Android is a maintenance OS. What I mean is that it take much more effort to do all the little things. Android really does feel like a bunch of nuts and bolts, machine like. WebOS doesn't feel that way, it has elegance, something Android just doesn't have. Android feels like a program. WebOS feels like a UI. Its like you took iOS and WebOS, combined them together, then sucked out every ounce of the elegance and ease in it. It still retains the versatility and usability that you would get. It can do just about anything that iOS and WebOS can do but it is just slightly ruff to do so. The ease of just opening into card view, shwooshing a card away, flicking to which card you wish and tapping it, is gone.

I can't really explain better than that. Its a great OS and I could use it every day. The simplicity, ease of use, and those little moments of opening cards are gone. Some people may disagree with me because they may enjoy taking time doing the little things. The whole marketing campaign of it being a machine isn't just a campaign. You really feel like you are "operating" the device and not just using it.
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Sprint Roadmap http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/24/s...-touch-monaco/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Oh hey Look Sprint roadmap, and no webOS device... Shocking!! =P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I hope we can put an end to the Sprint Pre 3 rumors book. We should all just move on and decide between at&t and Verizon.
    It wasn't complicated in a sense that it diminished productivity. It is a great OS. I guess the reason why I use complicated is because Android is a maintenance OS. What I mean is that it take much more effort to do all the little things. Android really does feel like a bunch of nuts and bolts, machine like. WebOS doesn't feel that way, it has elegance, something Android just doesn't have. Android feels like a program. WebOS feels like a UI. Its like you took iOS and WebOS, combined them together, then sucked out every ounce of the elegance and ease in it. It still retains the versatility and usability that you would get. It can do just about anything that iOS and WebOS can do but it is just slightly ruff to do so. The ease of just opening into card view, shwooshing a card away, flicking to which card you wish and tapping it, is gone.

I can't really explain better than that. Its a great OS and I could use it every day. The simplicity, ease of use, and those little moments of opening cards are gone. Some people may disagree with me because they may enjoy taking time doing the little things. The whole marketing campaign of it being a machine isn't just a campaign. You really feel like you are "operating" the device and not just using it.
    Yeah... I dunno, man. I've been a Palm guy for many years, going back to the Treo 300, all the way through the Pre. I jumped to an Epic 4G a couple months ago.

I guess this is subjective, so to each their own, but... I read all the opinions on here for a year about how much "less intuitive", "clunkier", "less elegant" etc. android was. When I finally jumped to it... I just didn't understand those comments.

I like WebOS, but to me, Android is every bit as good - better when you factor in the incredible number of apps, and choices of good hardware platforms, neither of which we had (or will have anytime soon) on WebOS.

I'll admit I'm a "function over form" guy. Maybe there's some little thrill some people get about swishing cards around, etc., but for me, it's all about usability. What can I do with the device, and how quickly can I do it? Guys, it doesn't take any longer to open apps, switch between open apps, or close apps, on android. No, you don't get to play with cards, but who gives a damn? I can make my device do what I need it to do, every bit as quickly as the Pre. When you factor in that I now have a device that can do a lot MORE than the Pre (or even the Pre3/touchpad, considering the lack of WebOS apps)... android wins hands-down for me.

I understand some people fall for an OS experience and never leave. That accounts for a lot of Apple's long-time fans. We all choose which platform we like better, so if you genuinely like WebOS, and genuinely don't like Android as much, so be it. But if you're like me, just a guy who wants to make his device do as much as possible as fast as possible, and you're not married to one OS for life... it seems to me you're wasting time sticking with WebOS. I sure feel like I wasted the last few months with the Pre, trying to decide whether to jump or not!
    I agree that Android phones are very powerful and capable of doing amazing things. However, the smooth user friendly interface isn't there yet. It is a geeky machine and hard to follow and understand by non techie users. I like it, but I feel like I have to do more taps to get what I want than with WebOS.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Finally someone put into words what I've been feeling all along:

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Where's 'ReleaseMyPre' when we need him most?

THIS! Couldn't have said it better myself. To each their own but this opinion shares my perspective of Android.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    THIS! Couldn't have said it better myself. To each their own but this opinion shares my perspective of Android.
    that and the fact that it's run by google. Who knows how their using all the data they're pulling from android users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Yeah... I dunno, man. I've been a Palm guy for many years, going back to the Treo 300, all the way through the Pre. I jumped to an Epic 4G a couple months ago.

I guess this is subjective, so to each their own, but... I read all the opinions on here for a year about how much "less intuitive", "clunkier", "less elegant" etc. android was. When I finally jumped to it... I just didn't understand those comments.

I like WebOS, but to me, Android is every bit as good - better when you factor in the incredible number of apps, and choices of good hardware platforms, neither of which we had (or will have anytime soon) on WebOS.

I'll admit I'm a "function over form" guy. Maybe there's some little thrill some people get about swishing cards around, etc., but for me, it's all about usability. What can I do with the device, and how quickly can I do it? Guys, it doesn't take any longer to open apps, switch between open apps, or close apps, on android. No, you don't get to play with cards, but who gives a damn? I can make my device do what I need it to do, every bit as quickly as the Pre. When you factor in that I now have a device that can do a lot MORE than the Pre (or even the Pre3/touchpad, considering the lack of WebOS apps)... android wins hands-down for me.

I understand some people fall for an OS experience and never leave. That accounts for a lot of Apple's long-time fans. We all choose which platform we like better, so if you genuinely like WebOS, and genuinely don't like Android as much, so be it. But if you're like me, just a guy who wants to make his device do as much as possible as fast as possible, and you're not married to one OS for life... it seems to me you're wasting time sticking with WebOS. I sure feel like I wasted the last few months with the Pre, trying to decide whether to jump or not!
    I completely agree with you that Android can do quite a bit of things that WebOS can't. I guess one thing I may have pushed to strongly is that Android is "less intuitive", "clunkier", "less elegant". It is a great OS and I am not just saying that. I don't genuinely dislike Android compared to WebOS. As I said I could use it everyday and be more than happy. The reason why I didn't cling on to my old Pre- over the last few months is because I wanted to experience other platforms like you brought up. I had only experienced iOS in its earlier stages, Windows Mobile 6.0, and then WebOS. I liked WebOS the most but I didn't know it was the best. To me, Android and WebOS have the same amount and quality of features. I guess that the biggest part about the experience that failed for me was the fact that the whole OS experience wasn't put together at once. Google created Android and HTC created Sense. They tie in with each other very well and I would die without them. But the thing is that they are two separate programs, that tie into each other.

One reason why I believe I am hoping back on the WebOS bandwagon once again is because they are create an ecosystem like Apple has. I find that it provides one of the best experiences to date and I am very interested in being along for this ride. But who knows? I may decide a year from now that I don't...

Edit: And another thing I missed is the little moments of using card view really aren't something that I consciously like. They just curve the atmosphere around using the device. Swiping away a card doesn't have that negative connotation that killing an app does on Android. Just little things like that.
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/24/2011 at 05:01 PM.
    - John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast