Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, I've had an at&t pixi plus since launch. My upgrade is on the 30th of this month. Initially my plan was to upgrade to the Veer and then buy a TouchPad. Perfect combo, right? Well, now that I thought about it, buying a TouchPad means literally spending all the money I have on it. That is enough to have made me decide that I won't be getting a TouchPad. No reason in spending all the money I have on something that really is just a luxury. That's when I decided that I'd get a Pre3 because it has a lot of the features of the TouchPad but with the pocketability of the Veer. Another good combo. But, the Veer is FREE on contract and I can get it as soon as upgrade day comes. Any input from the community would be much appreciated. Thanks guys (girls)!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    if size is not too much of an issue to u go for the pre3. its better in just about every way. The only advantage of the veer over the pre3 is its tiny size...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    It all depends on whether you'll find the added features of the Pre3 compelling enough to wait. These are, off the top of my head:

• Larger, higher-res screen
    • Larger keyboard
    • Compass
    • Auto-focus camera
    • Front-facing camera
    • Headset jack

You should also consider what kind of phone you want to carry around. I love my Veer for its tiny size, but will be getting the Pre3 for some of the features mentioned above. Ideally I'd like to carry both, but when push comes to shove, I will sacrifice the Veer's awesome tiny footprint for some of the added features of the Pre3.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    The other thing to keep in mind is we have no idea when the Veer will actually get its promised OTA update to enable Touch-to-Share. Hopefully it's right around the time of the Touchpad release, but we don't actually know when.

Edit: Sorry, misread, thought you said in addition to the Touchpad, never mind.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/23/2011 at 01:09 PM.
  5.    #5  
    One thing that worries me about the Pre3 is the slider. Because the Veer is so small, its slider doesn't have much travel and so it's very tight. The Pre3 is going to have a slider with more travel and it might be more loose? I guess if I don't hear anything on a Pre3 release date by the 30th I'll get a Veer. I'm tired of waiting, honestly.
    We have a rumored release date of July 21 on Verizon. Not sure about ATT.

http://www.precentral.net/skype-inte...d-verizon-july
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I think you will be more than happy with Veer if you dont find Pixi+ underpowered. From that to Veer would be an upgrade in virtually everything.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The Veer runs at 800MHz stock, vs. 1.4GHz(1400ish MHz) stock speeds. The Pre 3, being a larger and faster device will also get more attention in the long run, so it won't seem to be obsolete as quickly.

Remember, in one year or less, 800MHz will seem like a SLOW device, while 1.4GHz will not seem quite as far behind the other devices out there. You may also be able to swap SIM cards more easily, replace the battery, and other things that you are not supposed to do on a Veer.
    I was waiting for the Pre 3 very long. But one day I woke up and made a kind of decision: I purchase a Pre 2. Simply because the Pre 3 with the same thickness is too much on my pocket. The Pre 2 is, what I experienced with my Pre- , the minimal screen size I need for browsing and stuff like that. Pixi/Veer is not enough, and I would only get those in combination with a TP. So it's Pre 2 for me, and maybe a slim slate device once that hits the streets. It all depends on what you wanna do with it. If you look to replace a TP, you should look at the Pre 3 because of the screen size.
    punyparker01 - if you require corrective vision, get a pre 3 instead
  11. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Since you already have a pixi you aren't loosing anything going to the Veer and as stated you are getting a heck of a good phone....and the price is right!

I'm still amazed at the difference from the pre- to the Veer.
    The software needs an update for some minor bugs, but the hardware is incredible....and the size is nice.

I really thought the size might be an issue going to a smaller screen but it really isn't that bad. The real issue is the lack of apps for the Veer, but you would know that already since the Pixi and Veer run the same apps (mostly).
    Hopefully when enyo goes out we will see more apps on the Veer.
    if I were on att I would get both
    I guess you're just fighting the anxiety to buy a new phone now and not wait for the pre 3....i say wait....its only weeks away and its just not worth giving in now.....

The pre 3 is everything most of us ever wanted from a webos device...the veer only fixes some of the pre's problems and makes others worse.

Do what you know is right...wait for the Pre 3....it's going to rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker01 View Post
    One thing that worries me about the Pre3 is the slider. Because the Veer is so small, its slider doesn't have much travel and so it's very tight. The Pre3 is going to have a slider with more travel and it might be more loose? I guess if I don't hear anything on a Pre3 release date by the 30th I'll get a Veer. I'm tired of waiting, honestly.
    This is a good video that you can hear the snap of the slider. All the hands on takes from everyone who has handled one has said the slider is rock solid.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    The oreo thing is more of the rail design rather than the travel length. They went for the hidden rails, and the contact on the rail was so small and so fragile, which results in oreo.

Veer now uses an exposed rail.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    This is a good video that you can hear the snap of the slider. All the hands on takes from everyone who has handled one has said the slider is rock solid.
    +1, just watch from 0:35... the guy is actually testing the Oreo effect to see if the slider is weak. If you watch the video carefully, you notice how solid is the new slider... no wiggle at all.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I guess if I don't hear anything on a Pre3 release date by the 30th I'll get a Veer. I'm tired of waiting, honestly.
    I don't expect to have anything out related to Pre3 before end of August.
    Obviously HP is focusing a lot on their 2 new babies (Veer and Touchpad) and knows the Pre users will wait for the release 3. Plus, Veer can do pretty much what what its father Pre3 does, so why not have the tablet sold at the same time?

Even this site is focusing constantly on Touchpad, as is the only product that gets attention as we speak. Obviously the more time HP wastes to market the tablet, the more iPads will get sold... one thing they certainly don't want to see happen. Either ways, HP know the current Pre owners will buy a new Pre.

As a side note... I will not buy a tablet, it is a waste of money IMO. Pre3 will do everything I need, on the mobile side.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I have a veer, I am getting a TouchPad and most likely a Pre 3. I see me using the Pre 3 as a daily device and the Veer and TouchPad as a traveling combo. If you are only getting 1 device Pre 3 is probably the way to go. Good luck on your decision.
    Veer is such a lovely phone. Once you used to the size you won't use anything else.
    It's so functional, and it's small so you won't be "playing with your phone all the time" when you are out with people.

my take. get the veer and wait for the 3g 7inch tablet.
    I'm sure pre 3 will be amazing too if you like the size. i personally will get one too but i think veer will be my main phone and pre 3 will be like a "ipod touch" device.

Chris
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm an at&t Pixi Plus owner waiting for the Pre3, and suggest the OP do the same. For an upgrade, I want a huge jump in power and features that the Pre3 would give me compared with the Veer. Patience! It's hopefully just a few weeks until the Pre3 comes out. Just continue month-to-month until then.
    parasiticegg likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast