Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've checked the prices for me to switch to either ATT or Verizon from Sprint in case it doesn't launch on Sprint. All 3 carries seem pretty close except Sprint does not have a data cap and overall the service is a drop cheaper. The question is, if I am switching, which one should I move to? It looks like the ATT version of the Pre 3 will have higher download rates with HSPA+ if the Verizon version doesn't have LTE. What do you all think?
    well seeing as Verizon's tiered data plans are going to be higher priced than ATT's I would say go ATT if they cover your area with 3G. They have Great 3G speeds, $5 less every month for the same data package, and are rolling out a faster LEE network than Verizon. I have a Verizon Pre 2 now, and let me just say that my friend's ATT phone gets about 3 to 4 times the speed on average. I would probably go ATT. But again, if they cover you with 3G.
    I tried at&t and their coverage REALLY sucked in my area, I couldn't believe how bad it was. Data was blazing fast as long as I was sitting still, but if I moved it would drop to edge, and I had countless dropped calls. After being told I owed nearly 2k for 6days of use, I won't go back. Sure I was able to get the bill fixed and didn't have to pay anything in the long run but I spent about 14-16 hrs dealing w/the situation. I will not go back.

Verizon may get my business very soon, I idk yet, waiting to see whos getting webos... Would love if sprint would since they have the fastest data where I need it to work

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Go to Consumer Reports. Compare their ratings of cell providers. See if that helps you make up your mind.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    As others have said, a lot of it depends on where you live and where you travel to. I live in an area where AT&T service is OK, not great, but not too bad. It should be noted that Verizon also has many holes in their coverage map out where I live, even if they do provide a bit better service where they offer service.

I do have a personal dislike of Verizon that goes back to when they were my local phone service provider(in the days before VOIP and unlimited long distance in the USA and Canada). Intentionally throwing new "services" on bills without you asking for them has been typical for Verizon over the years for example, which MAY have stopped since they got caught a few times for that illegal business practice, but I won't go back to them. As a result, my dislike of Verizon is due to my dislike of the company and company policies/attitude, not due to the quality of service.

AT&T on the other hand, even with the occasional dropped calls only annoys me how they ignored EVERY device other than the iPhone when it came to OS updates, and their feeling that they can't say anything about future updates, even if the update is going to happen 24 hours later. It is all a deep dark secret about "when they will release a minor point update to the phone OS". But, my phone bill doesn't change every month with AT&T, and there are no surprises. They DID bump up my upgrade date to a new WebOS device by a full 12 months recently, so I can upgrade to a Pre 3 without penalty when it comes out.
    I just switched to AT&T from sprint for this reason.. Should get my new Veers tomorrow. Sprint service is good where I am, and friends tell me ATT is too, so we'll see. I just got tired of waiting... and even if Sprint gets the Pre3 (which looks like a no, or at least still way down the road) they won't have the Veer.
    My plan is to try the veers, then by Pre3 launch still be within my 30 day trial, and move up to that...
    I'm not cancelling my Sprint contract till the end of July though... just in case a miracle happens.
    Best thing to do is ask local friends and neighbors what carrier they use and how good the coverage has been for them. The handset can make a difference too, some just have better antennas and reception than others.

I live in an area where ATT has decent reception and coverage, so if I can't get a webOS phone on Sprint I'll stay with ATT without a contract if I can.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    my vote is for att.... simply because u will get updates. the pre2 still have 2.0.1 on V and 2.1 on att. with V u can expect to get 3.0 on the pre3 at least 2 months later, if at all when compared to att.
    Also if pre3 is hspa+ enabled it works as fast or faster then sprints 4g... im not sure about verizons 4g yet though.
    it will also cost less than verizon. specially when u consider they just dropped unlimited data. or will drop by the 7th of july.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    my vote is for att.... simply because u will get updates. the pre2 still have 2.0.1 on V and 2.1 on att. with V u can expect to get 3.0 on the pre3 at least 2 months later, if at all when compared to att.
    Also if pre3 is hspa+ enabled it works as fast or faster then sprints 4g... im not sure about verizons 4g yet though.
    it will also cost less than verizon. specially when u consider they just dropped unlimited data. or will drop by the 7th of july.
    AT&T no longer offers unlimited data, and only those who had a smartphone with unlimited data plan have it now. The thing is, if you use WiFi most of the time, you won't use a lot of data, so 2GB for $25/month isn't bad. The only people who really use a lot of bandwidth are those that do a lot of streaming while away from home or those who don't have an Internet connection at home(or never got a wireless router).
    After checking my data/text usage with Sprint, I see I average about 1.6gigs/month and 600/texts. If I translate that to AT&T, it is actually a cheaper plan by $5 then what I will pay on Sprint if I activate a new smartphone. I can afford the $10 price if I happen to go over 2 gigs and that still keeps me within within $5 of my Sprint plan. The key factor for AT&T is they have the unlimited mobile to mobile plan like Sprint. Verizon is more expensive for a similar plan. If I switch, I'm going to AT&T. I just need to see if their network is good at my home for final consideration.
    At the end of the day, with my sweetheart SERO-P plan on Sprint, I cannot justify switching to another carrier no matter how much I enjoy webOS. Just gotta hang on with my Pre- and I hope it stays together until such time that I know whether or not there's something real in the pipeline. If not - Frankenpre2. I doubt I'm alone in this situation.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    AT&T no longer offers unlimited data, and only those who had a smartphone with unlimited data plan have it now. The thing is, if you use WiFi most of the time, you won't use a lot of data, so 2GB for $25/month isn't bad. The only people who really use a lot of bandwidth are those that do a lot of streaming while away from home or those who don't have an Internet connection at home(or never got a wireless router).
    The problem is smartphones are moving to using more and more data. More streaming video, music, social networking, internet usage, etc. Their old data charges were already expensive enough, but you're getting reamed at $25 for a mere 2GB.

If Verizon and AT&T gave even half a **** about customers they would have kept their old unlimited offers and just introduced lower prices tiers below that with caps.

What saddens me is Sprint will more than likely go the same route eventually.
    With T Mobile getting bought by ATT, I'm just going to wait to see how that plays out. If they let me keep my plan, I might stay with ATT and just never go on a contract. If they try to force me to one of their contract plans, I'll probably jump to Sprint or Verizon... or a possible "Verizint" considering the way the mobile provider industry is going...
    Bones likes this.
    2GB is more than I've ever needed to use; depends on whether you're constantly streaming music or video though I suppose.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My problem is that I come really close (about 1.6GB) without video calling and a new phone, so I worry that if I switch to the Pre 3 on a different network I will go over. As for other concerns like coverage, all 3 carriers are the same in my area. Also, am I correct in saying the HSPA+ model will have higher download speeds where available than the Verizon model?
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    Also, am I correct in saying the HSPA+ model will have higher download speeds where available than the Verizon model?
    I'd say that's how it should work, though with AT&T's network you never really know, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    Go to Consumer Reports. Compare their ratings of cell providers. See if that helps you make up your mind.
    Now that was a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    2GB is more than I've ever needed to use; depends on whether you're constantly streaming music or video though I suppose.
    Before I lost my pre plus this past February I was making it on the ATT 250 mb plan. I rarely accessed any data until I was under wifi at home or at the mall. I used to love streaming music from pandora while doing chores around the house. Man, i can't wait until this thing gets released, my upgrade date was one week ago.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    att is all about area if you are ina good are go with att, if ur not go verizon ( verizon is pretty good everywhere
    If you're worried about the cap and want Verizon I'd suggest buying a used smartphone for cheap and switching to verizon now so you can lock in the unlimited data. When the Pre3 comes out you can upgrade at the promotional price anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast