Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Enter the Pre3 and the TouchPad both poised to change how we do business and pleasure in the mobile world.

Enter Verizon's change of data plans.

How does one affect the other? Simple, the pre3 and TP both have been touted for their built-in video calling and full(-ly awsome!) sype intergration. The way they have made skype work into the pre3 and TP is sure to change how we use our humble skype accounts.

However both of the ways we use skype- data call + video call = more data useage to fully take advantage of just two of the nice awsome features of the pre3 - but we are getting stuck with a capped 2gig data plan on Verizon or AT&T.

This is where HP needs to get the ball rolling and get in the game and have the thing on Sprint- the last bastion of unlimited data.

To me this vastly affects what I want to do...I also feel that data plans will eventualy go back to unlimited or a higher cap.

Does the news of all the skype video/data call intergration change the way you look at AT&T and Verizons data caps?
    A partial solution is to make sure that for a majority of your skype/video calling you are on a WiFi network.

But overall I agree, Verizon and ATT are looking at increasing amounts of data usage and seeing green with their plan changes.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah 2 gigs is way too low. they should have put 3 gigs for the same price =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    like I said in another thread, this is another anti-webos move by vzw.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    like I said in another thread, this is another anti-webos move by vzw.
    I think it's really anti-smartphone.

But even more cynical, it's anti-customer.

They (the big cell providers) know they've hooked smartphone users who are no longer willing to give up their devices - the users WILL pay no matter how bad it gets for them.

If Sprint really takes advantage and maintains cost-effective unlimited data this could be an opportunity for them...but in the end I think they'd give into the temptation to rake in the extra cash from tiered data at some point.

To be fair, the cell providers are spending huge amounts of money on 4G upgrades - providing extra data capacity doesn't come cheap! It doesn't make it any easier to swallow, though.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    They have bigger data plans, you know. You're not capped at 2gb. They have a 5gb and 10gb plan. Yeah, it'll cost you more money, but everything is costing more these days. I think I'd be less upset at hearing I'd have to pay an extra $10-$20/mo because I'm using more than 2gb of data, than be on Sprint where they're going to charge you an extra $10/mo no matter how little you use.
    Does anyone know if this would work. I have a verizon upgrade right now so if i upgraded to the pre 2 before July 7th when they change to tiered data plans and then returned the phone and and exchanged it to buy the pre 3 on july 21 for the discounted price. Does verizon still let you return your phone within 30 days to exchange it or did they do away with that too? I want a pre 3 with unlimited data!
    I think they dropped their returns/exchange window to 14 days just before they launched iPhone.

You could try going through a retailer instead, like Best Buy or Costco. Normally they apply their own return policies to the phone itself. Of course they'd also have to carry the Pre 3 within their return windows for you to do that.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 06/21/2011 at 07:04 PM.
    I'm faced with the same situation. I believe that Verizon cut it down to 14 days (15?) vice the 30 days that they use to give you to make up your mind. Therefore, even if the Palm Pre 3 does come out on July 21st; you'd be too late.
    I was wondering the same thing. I had a VZW store rep and calling center person both say that wouldn't work. I'm not sure if they just wanted to sell me a phone now but they said even if I bought a Pre 3 at full retail to activate on my current contract I'd have to pay new data prices.
    That doesn't seem fair or logical to me but it's probably accurate since this whole thing is a money grab.
    Jamieb
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I had a VZW store rep and calling center person both say that wouldn't work. I'm not sure if they just wanted to sell me a phone now but they said even if I bought a Pre 3 at full retail to activate on my current contract I'd have to pay new data prices.
    That doesn't seem fair or logical to me but it's probably accurate since this whole thing is a money grab.
    Jamieb
    Well, according to the latest release, they're actually wrong in saying that. They might be able to do that to you on an exchange if the device you're exchanging is for a new line but if you have a contract they aren't going to force you out of your current data plan even on renewal.

Verizon's tiered data plans won't affect grandfathered customers after all? -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Well, according to the latest release, they're actually wrong in saying that. They might be able to do that to you on an exchange if the device you're exchanging is for a new line but if you have a contract they aren't going to force you out of your current data plan even on renewal.

Verizon's tiered data plans won't affect grandfathered customers after all? -- Engadget
    That is excellent news! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    That is excellent news! Thank you!
    Good news! even though I don't think I go over 0.5gb ever, (.12GB since the 3rd.) this is with somewhat heavy browsing and checking 5 email accounts and facebook, and the P|C app quite a bit. I am a bit surprised how little I use.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Good luck to the future of video calling. Streaming music and video too on the go. They'll always find a way to screw the customers.
    If you are that concerned, get an unlimited plan now so you can be grand fathered in.

Such is the case with my AT&T line, unlimited internet and will carry on even when I renew my contract (as it did last I renewed my contract).
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Also, this all seems to be bad for the Pre3 in particular because of the high-potential cloud use and cloud intergration of WebOS

Here are some of the top reasons why capped/limited data plans are bad for WebOS - and of cource "as long as you have money you can have as much data as you want!" but imo that is a mute point

1) 'To the cloud' the high use and background use of WebOS uses data continuiously- although small it still is there.

2) Skype intergration for calls AND video - voip and video chat will add up the KB's - this is a nice and awsome feature in WebOS and the Pre3 that I am sure they will push- but if customers see looming big data charges and overages "just to use" a component of a device- they may look elsewhere.

3) Music synergy - hpplay solution is - if all reports are true/guesses it will have cloud streamed music from your home to your mobile etc- some stored local some streamed from cloud based services - again

Those are just three off the top of my head, there are many more- and some still that are exclusive 'data issues' with WebOS - I just dont want to see data plans standing in the way of WebOSs sucsess- also they gave iphone users unlimited data, maybe HP can have a similar deal
    The most I've used on sprint is 1.52 G per month, I average .55 gig per month. If I get a pre 3 with a bigger screen, I'm sure that will increase. *sigh* I just want a new phone.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    When I first got my pre plus from At&t last August I was worried about the tiered data plan. I figured i would start off low (250mb plan for 15 bucks a month) and see how much data I used in a month and go up If I needed too. I discovered I never got close to 250mb limit due to me being under wifi coverage most of the time, and I live in a rural area. I'm not saying anything that you guys don't already know, but it seems that most of you guys are smart, tech savvy and live in metropolitan areas with a lot of wifi access. My point is I thing folks can still enjoy the potential of these devices by maintaining a little situational awareness before downloading data over the cell network as opposed to wifi. Just my 2 cents.
    the biggest problem, no matter how you look at it, is...the plans are more expensive compared to what you are paying today, for less quantity of data...add a tablet with 3G, and you are adding more expenses.

atleast with other increased prices such as gas and groceries, you are getting the same product at a higher price. With these data plans, we are paying more for less.

nonsense
    Just two things: 1) As stated above, the 4G roll-out ain't cheap. The carriers have to find ways to tweak their plans to pay for this stuff. 2) There as been talk that the Family plans will allow data sharing. If this is the case, Family plans might be cheaper if most of your phones use little data. Might be cheaper than the current $30 for every smartphone rate.

Time will tell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast