Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    referring to those of us being "left behind" with the legacy 1.4.# webOS devices? thanks, I could not find any recent posts on this topic.
    Nothing has been announced.
    I'm starting to believe it never will be. I wish someone would corner Ruby with this very question and watch him squirm.
    it will be one of the deciding factor for me to get Pre3.

the other being skype video to pc via 3G/4G network on ATT.

I will buy it if any of the two occurs. and will not buy it if none happens.
    I figure there will be a huge thread if or when any official word happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I figure there will be a huge thread if or when any official word happens.
    So there will never be an official thread.

They're counting on all of us forgetting they ever said anything about making things right. Save yourself the disappointment and just stop expecting it to happen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hmm, I thought it was the early upgrade AT&T & VZW are giving their Pre customers? There's a thread somewhere in here about it.

I'm on Verizon, and I have almost seven months left on my contract. Up until last week, every time I logged in to my VZW account, it showed my upgrade date as Dec '11, and that I could "Upgrade now at full price". But last week my page was changed to say that I could upgrade now at a reduced price, or wait until Dec to get a larger discount.

Someone said in that other thread that it's standard policy to offer reduced pricing four months out. But like I said, I have more than six months left, so I took that to be the "making things right".
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Hmm, I thought it was the early upgrade AT&T & VZW are giving their Pre customers? There's a thread somewhere in here about it.

I'm on Verizon, and I have almost seven months left on my contract. Up until last week, every time I logged in to my VZW account, it showed my upgrade date as Dec '11, and that I could "Upgrade now at full price". But last week my page was changed to say that I could upgrade now at a reduced price, or wait until Dec to get a larger discount.

Someone said in that other thread that it's standard policy to offer reduced pricing four months out. But like I said, I have more than six months left, so I took that to be the "making things right".
    What makes you think any of that is coming from HP?

And the making things right comment was primarily aimed at Pre- users on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And the making things right comment was primarily aimed at Pre- users on Sprint.
    Nope.

it was aimed at all legacy devices that were not eligible for upgrading the OS to Enyo based WebOS 3 and beyond, because, they initially released the Pre and Pixi with a promise to always provide OS upgradabilty.

JR said that, in order for them to take WebOS where they needed it to go, they had to make such extensive changes that they felt it would take much longer to revise the existing code than to completely re-write it from scratch, which, of course, changed the way those original devices would run WebOS (and, not in a good way, I presume).

That's pretty much every WebOS device out in the public's hands except for the Pre2 and the Veer - regardless of carrier.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Even Rovio isn't going to be issuing any more updates for Angry Birds. Something went way wrong with webOS. Sad too because I love it. Its pretty amazing how the least complex apps on android can be so usefull. Yet we don't see even the most basic apps over here on webOS. Even if I could get a 2.3 update on my Sprint Pre Plus... what good would it do? I don't think it would really add that much functionality. It certainly wouldn't help out in the apps department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    What makes you think any of that is coming from HP?
    Sorry, I really don't know. But it seemed to be one of two logical responses HP could possibly give--either to work out a deal for early upgrades and discounts with the carriers, or send every Pre and Pixi owner a coupon or voucher of some sort. I would guess that the early upgrade would be a lot easier to pull off (let the carriers get the message to every person in the world who owns a Pre or Pixi on their networks, rather than HP having to track us all down.)

It would be unreasonable to assume HP would send us all free Pre 2s. I haven't heard of any further update in the works for the legacy devices (like a 1.7 or something); the focus right now is on getting 3.0 out the door. So, is there anything else HP can do?

If indeed early upgrade is their way of "making things right", I appreciate it. As things stand, I can get the Pre3 the day it is released at a discount.

As far as Sprint Pre users... Well, I don't know. We may just have to wait and see if the rumor of "something better than the Pre3" pans out.

TL;DR - I'm just guessing.

Edit: But it would be quite a nod if the free hotspot were extended to everyone upgrading from a legacy device to a Pre3. But I think I'm dreaming there.
    Last edited by katefields; 06/21/2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    Even Rovio isn't going to be issuing any more updates for Angry Birds. Something went way wrong with webOS. Sad too because I love it. Its pretty amazing how the least complex apps on android can be so usefull. Yet we don't see even the most basic apps over here on webOS. Even if I could get a 2.3 update on my Sprint Pre Plus... what good would it do? I don't think it would really add that much functionality. It certainly wouldn't help out in the apps department.
    What?!? Where did you see this -- Rovio is done with webOS? I would think this would be bigger than epocrates....
    Sorry, I really don't know. But it seemed to be one of two logical responses HP could possibly give--either to work out a deal for early upgrades and discounts with the carriers, or send every Pre and Pixi owner a coupon or voucher of some sort. I would guess that the early upgrade would be a lot easier to pull off (let the carriers get the message to every person in the world who owns a Pre or Pixi on their networks, rather than HP having to track us all down.)

It would be unreasonable to assume HP would send us all free Pre 2s. I haven't heard of any further update in the works for the legacy devices (like a 1.7 or something); the focus right now is on getting 3.0 out the door. So, is there anything else HP can do?

If indeed early upgrade is their way of "making things right", I appreciate it. As things stand, I can get the Pre3 the day it is released at a discount.

As far as Sprint Pre users... Well, I don't know. We may just have to wait and see if the rumor of "something better than the Pre3" pans out.

TL;DR - I'm just guessing.

Edit: But it would be quite a nod if the free hotspot were extended to everyone upgrading from a legacy device to a Pre3. But I think I'm dreaming there.
    I would think that ANY effort to "make things right" on HP's part would ONLY include discounts on HP products. There is no way that HP would pay for you to upgrade to another company's phone.
  14. macdavepro
    You should be specific with this comment. Rovio is not releasing updates for 1.X.X devices, but is continuing development for webOS 2 and beyond. This has been discussed in another thread.

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nope.

it was aimed at all legacy devices that were not eligible for upgrading the OS to Enyo based WebOS 3 and beyond, because, they initially released the Pre and Pixi with a promise to always provide OS upgradabilty...
    I've never seen any hint that legacy webOS devices like the Pre and Pixi would be upgraded to Enyo based webOS 3.x or beyond. There were statements that the legacy devices would be moved to webOS 2.x which had a Mojo based SDK. At the time the updates to 2.x were being promised, webOS 3.x and Enyo development was just starting out.

There is a limit to how far you can take old devices, and expecting legacy devices to ever move beyond webOS 2.x was beyond anything a reasonable user should have expected.

In regard to Rovio's statements:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...webos-1-x.html
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I think a $25 app catalog gift card would be great for getting all the new apps for webos 3.0
    I think it's fair to say that if there was going to be any "make it right" moves by HP, they would have been announced by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    Yes they are continuing support. They've just stated that an HD version of Angry Birds is being completed for the TouchPad. Maybe you meant support for 1.x.x devices? Dwindling support for the legacy devices is to be expected from any developers, not just Rovio.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

After reading this I decided to check my account on AT&T. Still shows my upgrade as 10/17/11 which is what it has been for months. No change. Maybe closer to launch date? I sure hope so. I'm planning on getting it anyway. Any discount just makes it that much sweeter
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think once the announce the pre3 launch date they will announce how they will make things right. if they dont do it then, i cant see them doing it at all...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast