Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    I think a $25 app catalog gift card would be great for getting all the new apps for webos 3.0
    That would be great .... only if a newer webOS phone sporting 3.0 would be available to all legacy carriers. That is still up in the air, waiting patiently but not sure when patience will run out. Most likely when my phone breaks or I decide I've sat on my upgrade long enough and it's time to get a phone that will be able to skype, stream netflix, have flash, have a working camera app and PDF reader, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm starting to believe it never will be. I wish someone would corner Ruby with this very question and watch him squirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I've never seen any hint that legacy webOS devices like the Pre and Pixi would be upgraded to Enyo based webOS 3.x or beyond. There were statements that the legacy devices would be moved to webOS 2.x which had a Mojo based SDK. At the time the updates to 2.x were being promised, webOS 3.x and Enyo development was just starting out.

There is a limit to how far you can take old devices, and expecting legacy devices to ever move beyond webOS 2.x was beyond anything a reasonable user should have expected.

In regard to Rovio's statements:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...webos-1-x.html
    You are misquoting me.

I said that WebOS hardware, at launch, was always promised with perpetual OS upgradability for those devices via OTA updates.

There was never anything specifically said about webOS 3, but, they DID specifically talk about future versions always being "backwards compatible" with original webOS hardware.

That's a fact.

Now, they know they have to deal with this, and I believe they will, however, I just wanted to make it clear that this was NOT a "Sprint" only situation, in any regard.

PS, Rovio's announcement is nothing to be concerned with, as it falls right into line with those "differences" that come into play with the Enyo enviornment...

Everything new for WebOS going forward will be Enyo based, from this point on.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You are misquoting me.

I said that WebOS hardware, at launch, was always promised with perpetual OS upgradability for those devices via OTA updates...
    Sorry about that. I just read your post and made an assumption. I don't think the original promise holds water anymore, though. Once HP bought Palm, things changed.
    Rovio dropping support for webOS has as much as a likly hood as the pre3 coming to sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    hahahahhaa (right click>save)
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    I think a $25 app catalog gift card would be great for getting all the new apps for webos 3.0
    Since we've lost a lot of developers $25 would buy you all of the available 3.0 apps and give you change back!
    I am still waiting for my "make it up" or whatever you call it for my Sprint Phone for the Handspring. They promised us they would upgrade it and then stopped supporting it. Im still waiting.
    What would be cool, is when they release the 3, and providing they release to the same carriers, that they exempt out those that have had the Pre, or Pixi or + or whathaveyou, to be able to immediately upgrade, for $0....and usual contract blablabla.

Personally I don't see them "making it up" to any of us, so much as, "making it up" for us.
    Meaning, they are physically making it(Pre3) up, as opposed to a "here....I hope you fell better now" (pats on the back and taken out for ice cream)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I believe the "make it right promise" was another example of HPs right hand not knowing what its' left hand is doing.

I think we just need to file it along with Leo's 'we will only announce when we have product to ship' joke of a statement or 'webos 2.0... coming soon to legacy devices' and move on.

HP obviously is dealing with severe internal communication problems.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I am still waiting for my "make it up" or whatever you call it for my Sprint Phone for the Handspring. They promised us they would upgrade it and then stopped supporting it. Im still waiting.
    Har har, so very clever. Except that while they may or may not have not provided promised upgrades for the Handspring, they didn't have the head of the whole operation specifically say to the largest tech website that they would do something for those customers to "make it right".

Also, not getting a minor OS bump on an old Treo is way different. They'd been promising Flash for Pre devices since early 2009, but no one could get it. Anyone buying a Pre Plus between late 2010 and Feb 2011 was led to believe they would get 2.0 and its features, but they couldn't.

I'm not counting on anything, but it doesn't mean someone shouldn't hold their feet to the fire about it. They could gain much goodwill without a lot of dollar cost (how many of us are there, really). I'm sure the real dilemma is there is no perfect solution, so how do you go about making most people happy without also ****ing off a bunch of people and making it a negative rather than a positive.
    all i know is that, i need a new laptop(i really like the Envy line), i need a new smartphone(webOS preferred), and i would like to buy a tablet (TP maybe?). if HP does not fullfill their promise to "make things right," i simply won't ever purchase any of their products ever again. AND i'm kinda the go-to guy amongst my family and friends when it comes to making tech purchases. guess which products i'll be telling them NOT to buy?...exactly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    all i know is that, i need a new laptop(i really like the Envy line), i need a new smartphone(webOS preferred), and i would like to buy a tablet (TP maybe?). if HP does not fullfill their promise to "make things right," i simply won't ever purchase any of their products ever again. AND i'm kinda the go-to guy amongst my family and friends when it comes to making tech purchases. guess which products i'll be telling them NOT to buy?...exactly...
    HP did not meet their ship date on the new Envy 14 (was supposed to be 6/15).
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post

Oh Snap!!!

I hope someone from HP is reading this. There goes their marketshare in 3 different categories.

HP is Crushed imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCobbers95 View Post
    Oh Snap!!!

I hope someone from HP is reading this. There goes their marketshare in 3 different categories.

HP is Crushed imo.
    Consumers have a tendency to trend. In other words, if one person feels this way, it's pretty likely there are others who feel this way too. I happen to be one of them. I'm also in the market for a smartphone, a tablet and/or a laptop. I'm very loyal, but after I've been burned bad enough by a company, I'll never use them again. (Sears boycott 8 years and running, for example)
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    O2 in Europe(UK and Germany) released a WebOS Doctor for 2.1, which carriers here in the USA never signed off on. So it isn't as if HP did not come up with WebOS 2.1 for our devices, it's just that AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint SUCK when it comes to releasing updates.

Now, AT&T has moved up the upgrade date for those who have a Pre Plus or Pixi Plus and bought it in May or June of last year, so we WILL be able to upgrade without penalty when the Pre 3 comes out. Since this is unusual(upgrade a device after only one year without penalty) for anything other than the iPhone, I have to assume that HP is responsible for this.

It would be nice if HP would just release the WebOS 2.1 Doctor image for ALL carriers at this point, but with an auto-backup and a fix for potential profile load issues included.
    I am so sick of this whole "make it right" thing that people have been clinging to and screaming about for so long.

A) He might have just meant, "with the new Pre 3, our loyal fans will finally have the device we promised them." They are making it up to us by releasing what we wanted back then.

B) If he had never said that then nobody would expect them to in any way make it up to us... because no company does anything like what you guys are clamoring for. You are angry that he said something nice and did nothing to follow it up, but you wouldn't be angry if he had said nothing at all and proceeded exactly as they have.

C) You bought a product that you love enough to spend time on these forums and are eagerly awaiting the next in its line, and you have used this product for 2 years now. Yet you want them to give you something for free? It's not like the product you bought no longer works just like it did when you bought it (unless you broke it or it was defective). You bought a product, it worked as described (unless it was defective in which case they replaced it under warranty), now you want them to give you a new product solely because the new one exists? Businesses wouldn't exist very long if they followed your plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    I am so sick of this whole "make it right" thing that people have been clinging to and screaming about for so long.

A) He might have just meant, "with the new Pre 3, our loyal fans will finally have the device we promised them." They are making it up to us by releasing what we wanted back then.

B) If he had never said that then nobody would expect them to in any way make it up to us... because no company does anything like what you guys are clamoring for. You are angry that he said something nice and did nothing to follow it up, but you wouldn't be angry if he had said nothing at all and proceeded exactly as they have.

C) You bought a product that you love enough to spend time on these forums and are eagerly awaiting the next in its line, and you have used this product for 2 years now. Yet you want them to give you something for free? It's not like the product you bought no longer works just like it did when you bought it (unless you broke it or it was defective). You bought a product, it worked as described (unless it was defective in which case they replaced it under warranty), now you want them to give you a new product solely because the new one exists? Businesses wouldn't exist very long if they followed your plan.
    A) The make it right promise was made AFTER the Pre3 was announced.
    B) HP, as of now, has not mentioned anything regarding how they're going to make it right. Nobody forced HP to make promises they either backed out of or had no intention of keeping. When HP made the statement, it obligated them to follow through. What is so difficult to understand here?
    C) No, it's EXACTLY like the product has never worked the way it was promised to work. Maybe you missed it, but a lot of us have hung onto our legacy devices because we keep getting lied to. Flash, webOS 2.x to legacy, Pre2 launch in 2010, make it right, etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, I feel the webOS community is pretty much Charlie Brown and HP is Lucy with the football.
    I'm glad that I am not the only one who remembers that the promise was made by HP and not Palm. They made this promise and they should be held to keeping it. I am shocked the number of people that believe that it is OK if they do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Honestly, I feel the webOS community is pretty much Charlie Brown and HP is Lucy with the football.
    You left out the part where if Charlie Brown complains he gets shouted down by Linus, Schroeder and Peppermint Patty.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast