Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm seriously considering a Pre3. I almost bought the original Pre, but I found that I couldn't use the keyboard, because the top row was close to the ridge where the screen starts and my thumbs would bump into that ridge (I heard this issue was addressed with the latest Pre?). I ended up getting a Nokia N900 instead, which I absolutely loved. My work changed to Verizon 6 months after I bought that, so I ended up with HTC Incredible for awhile, whose screen I just cracked.

I like to tinker and I'm very bored of Android now, but I need the phone to be able to do a number of things and I'm hoping that the veteran Pre users will be able to tell me what I can/can't do, and hopefully give good feedback on whether or not I should be looking at a Pre. While I can appreciate while some people might like Apple products, I'm not personally a fan.

I tested the waters with a virtual keyboard for the past year, and found that I still prefer a physical. Because I'm likely changing operating systems, and thinking about a tablet as well, I'm down to the Bold 9900/Playbook and the Pre3/Touchpad. The tablet won't be an immediate purchase, but I do want to factor in the capabilities of the corresponding tablet with my phone decision. I like the size and performance of the Playbook, but I like the UI and the phone tie-in a little better on the Touchpad.

I don't need 500,000,000,000,000 apps. I do use a fair number of apps though.

This is what I'm looking for, in (rough) order of importance:

A good RSS reader - preferably capable of syncing with Google Reader
    Kindle App
    Calendar - Sync with Google
    Gmail- a decent email client that works with google
    Ford sync support
    Navigation software
    Google talk (chat only)
    Flash player
    Landscape view
    802.11 G,N
    Alarm
    Standalone news apps
    view .doc, .xls, .ppt plus the corresponding open office formats.
    RDP & Citrix
    Which VPN clients (sonicwall?)
    Zillow/Redfin
    Business card scanner (ex: camcard)

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. Also, if any of you are recent/current RIM users, let me know how you think the Pre3 will compare to the Bold 9900.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Ok, I was hoping for a Pre3 preacher to set me straight. Since no one seems particularly interested in that, maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong? After some homework, this is what I found...

A good RSS reader - preferably capable of syncing with Google Reader: Available - My Feeds Free

Kindle App - Coming soon? I saw it in the Rubinstein presentation

Calendar - Sync with Google - Available -seems to be working on native calendar as of 2.1

Gmail- a decent email client that works with google - Available - On google's website it says that it works, but that it isn't officially supported. I'm not sure what that means.

Ford sync support - Available - but not fully implemented. It sounds like voice dialing and phone book entries work. Music, etc. does not.

Navigation software - Available - but no voice navigation?

Google talk (chat only) - Available - native app.
    Skype - Coming soon? I think I've been reading about skype integration in the next os?
    PDF viewer - Available (assumed)
    Flash player - Available - does anyone know what version?
    Landscape view - Available
    802.11 G,N - Available
    Alarm - Available
    Standalone news apps - Unsure what is out there.
    view .doc, .xls, .ppt plus the corresponding open office formats. - Available - Quick Office
    RDP & Citrix - Partly - RDP is not available, Citrix receiver is.
    Which VPN clients (sonicwall?) - No Sonicwall as far I can tell.
    Zillow/Redfin - No Zillow, No Redfin - any other real estate apps available?
    Business card scanner (ex: camcard) - None that I know of.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    OK, I'll try to help you, although I could be wrong.

RSS Readers - I don't use one, but there are some choices.
    Kindle App - Coming
    Calendar - It's good, but from Palm you would expect something better. There are some problems with Google syncing, some people complain and I don't know how often this happens. I don't use Google, I just use my profile but no search is a big problem.
    Gmail - It works, I don't have any problems, again I've seen some complains in cases with more than one account.
    Ford sync - I don't know what the hell this is
    Navigation - Check Ndrive
    Google talk - Yes
    Skype - Coming
    PDF viewer - There is one, but is has some problems. It was improved in Pre 2s, but sometimes you get an error.
    Flash Player - Available, sorry dont know version
    Landscape - Yes
    Wifi- Yes
    Alarm - Yes, there are also alarm apps
    Quick office - Only read, cannot edit, huge drawback for me
    I don't know about the rest.

Hope I helped.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i vote yes~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captainqtp View Post
    I'm seriously considering a Pre3. I almost bought the original Pre, but I found that I couldn't use the keyboard, because the top row was close to the ridge where the screen starts and my thumbs would bump into that ridge (I heard this issue was addressed with the latest Pre?). I ended up getting a Nokia N900 instead, which I absolutely loved. My work changed to Verizon 6 months after I bought that, so I ended up with HTC Incredible for awhile, whose screen I just cracked.

I like to tinker and I'm very bored of Android now, but I need the phone to be able to do a number of things and I'm hoping that the veteran Pre users will be able to tell me what I can/can't do, and hopefully give good feedback on whether or not I should be looking at a Pre. While I can appreciate while some people might like Apple products, I'm not personally a fan.

I tested the waters with a virtual keyboard for the past year, and found that I still prefer a physical. Because I'm likely changing operating systems, and thinking about a tablet as well, I'm down to the Bold 9900/Playbook and the Pre3/Touchpad. The tablet won't be an immediate purchase, but I do want to factor in the capabilities of the corresponding tablet with my phone decision. I like the size and performance of the Playbook, but I like the UI and the phone tie-in a little better on the Touchpad.

I don't need 500,000,000,000,000 apps. I do use a fair number of apps though.

This is what I'm looking for, in (rough) order of importance:

Kindle App
    Ford sync support
    Navigation software
    Google talk (chat only)
    Flash player
    Landscape view
    802.11 G,N
    Alarm
    Standalone news apps
    RDP & Citrix
    Zillow/Redfin

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. Also, if any of you are recent/current RIM users, let me know how you think the Pre3 will compare to the Bold 9900.

Thanks!
    One thing to keep in mind is that I don't think the BB/Playbook combination will be very tweak friendly. In the past I've always found that BB is one of the hardest if not the hardest OS/Hardware to customize beyond what they give you for enterprise level security customization.

webOS is top of the list when it comes to tweaking and customizing to match your needs. There's no rooting or jailbreaking necessary. HP/Palm have left it very open for people who like to have more control of their device. We have an awesome homebrew community.

The Pre3 definitely provides more keyboard space than its predecessors.

RSS Reader - My Feeds Free
    Kindle - Coming 7/1, Kobo already available
    Calendar - Native - Syncs to Google, Facebook, Exchange, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.,. Synergy

E-Mail - Native - Syncs to Google, Exchange, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.,. Synergy
    Ford Sync - BT Phone, Audio/Media Player, general phone status, Voice dial, directory supported. Reading/Sending texts/e-mail not yet supported
    Navigation - Carrier specific Sprint Nav (free), AT&T, VZW extra cost. nDrive available in App Catalog ($70-ish) but good because it's standalone.
    Messaging - Native - Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, SKYPE (7/1),TXT/SMS, etc.,. Synergy
    Skype - Native - 7/1 Synergy
    PDF viewer - Native - 7/1 new version coming
    Flash player - 10.1 current, 10.3 expected 7/1
    Landscape view - Landscape and portrait for apps that allow it.
    802.11 G,N - built in
    Alarm - Native clock with multiple alarms and custom settings
    Standalone news apps - Times, AP, or are you looking for agregators?
    view .doc, .xls, .ppt plus the corresponding open office formats. - Quickoffice 7/1 (view only until later update), Docs-To-Go also read only, Google Docs Read/Write
    RDP & Citrix - No RDP yet that I'm aware of but Citrix 7/1
    Which VPN clients (sonicwall?) - Native VPN vpnc/ipsec, cisco anyconnect/ssl
    Zillow/Redfin - Web only as far as I know.
    Business card scanner (ex: camcard) - None that I'm aware of but should be forthcoming after Pre3 release due to significantly better camera capabilities.

FYI> the things I marked "Synergy" above means that there is a native app that aggregates certain types of content. For example you can have a unified view of all of your e-mails even though they come from a variety of sources. Same thing with any sort of messaging, contacts, or calendar data. At the same time, if you want you can see individual mailboxes or pick which messenger you want to use at any given time. Synergy just makes it all dead simple.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    OK, I'll try to help you, although I could be wrong.

RSS Readers - I don't use one, but there are some choices.
    Kindle App - Coming
    Calendar - It's good, but from Palm you would expect something better. There are some problems with Google syncing, some people complain and I don't know how often this happens. I don't use Google, I just use my profile but no search is a big problem.
    Gmail - It works, I don't have any problems, again I've seen some complains in cases with more than one account.
    Ford sync - I don't know what the hell this is
    Navigation - Check Ndrive
    Google talk - Yes
    Skype - Coming
    PDF viewer - There is one, but is has some problems. It was improved in Pre 2s, but sometimes you get an error.
    Flash Player - Available, sorry dont know version
    Landscape - Yes
    Wifi- Yes
    Alarm - Yes, there are also alarm apps
    Quick office - Only read, cannot edit, huge drawback for me
    I don't know about the rest.

Hope I helped.
    Hey thank you. Is there anything besides document editing that is a big drawback for you?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    @Nhavar

Alright, you sold me I'll give it a try.
    I think NDrive is about $50 for North America (didn't catch where you were located Captain...but it can be a bit more for other parts of the world...depends on map cost I think). Remember all the data is on board (maps, POIs I think also) so you aren't downloading loads of map data....nice for limited data plans (seems like more and more carriers are limiting data).

I think the Quickoffice suite is read only at launch, but reportedly some time 'soon' after the TouchPad launches, an update will come out to give you edit-ability. I'm hopeful this will mean full edit-ability for word, excel, and Powerpoint files.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    You will be fine with most of your requirement but doubt its compatible with Ford sync support
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captainqtp View Post
    Hey thank you. Is there anything besides document editing that is a big drawback for you?

Ι miss some apps, like Shazam. For you it might be something else.
    The browser could be better too.
    I don't miss millions of apps that exist in other systems, I only miss some big ones.
    Apart from that, I must say I love my Pre2 and webOS. Of course there are some problems, but it depends on what you want and where you come from.
    If the only needs you have are the things in the first post, I believe you will be satisfied.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    You will be fine with most of your requirement but doubt its compatible with Ford sync support
    I use it with Ford Sync every day. So yes, except for a few features, it is compatible.
    I had a rental Ford Focus w/Sync last year and drove it to Vegas. Was easy to use with my Sprint Pre. I loved using it with DrPodder for podcasts, much easier to charge only one device vs two (jabra cruiser as well). Podcasts sounded great, no more interference from outside radio signals. Phone support was good. I think voice calling worked, I know answering worked well.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Why would you say you doubt it's compatible with Ford Sync support?
    For starters, the phone is not out yet and I unless I missed it, there has been no statement as to the compatibility. And to add to that, my Pre Plus works perfectly in my 2010 Focus. Why wouldn't the Pre 3?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Ok, I can say without doubt that even the current Palm Pre, both minus as well as plus is compatible with Ford SYNC(which works with my 2012 Focus SEL). The only thing that does not work right now(which may with the Pre 3) is that SYNC does not read text messages for you.

MyFord SYNC as they call it these days, uses the Bluetooth MAP protocol for reading/sending text messages. Right now, WebOS 2.1 and earlier do NOT support MAP, so that is why that feature does not work. There are indications that the Touchpad DOES include MAP, and if the Pre 3 also gets it, then that will solve THAT issue.

I am wondering how difficult it will be to set up a new WebOS Doctor to add that support, or if a patch may do the job from WebOS 2.1, just to avoid needing to re-Doctor our devices.
    Kindle and Citrix will only be for the Touchpad on 1st July. You might have to wait till the Pre 3 gets Enyo support before you get them.
    I am sorry that I missed your thread. It seems like you some how were able to avoid all of our scanners!

-We have many high quality RSS Readers in the App Catalogue that work great with Google Reader!
    Kindle App
    -The TouchPad will have a specifically design Kindle app that will work great. We don't have all the info on the Pre3 yet but I must assume that the Kindle app will work on the Pre3 as well.
    -The built in calendar work great with Google Calendar and is a great app. The only problem in the past is that it has been slow but they have done some great fine tuning in the latest versions that are on the Pre3.
    -The built in Email app works flawlessly with Gmail and any other email client out there.
    Ford sync support
    -I do not have personal experience with this one but it does work great. If you want to read some hands on with this your can go to this thread: http://bit.ly/kTQzcn
    Navigation software
    -There is the built in Maps app that I do believe is being changed to Bing Maps as Google was not providing them with any support. The new Bing Maps should work great although it does not have walking directions every where yet.
    Google talk (chat only)
    -This is taken over by the great feature of WebOS called Synergy. It syncs your contacts' IM/Gchat accounts right into the messaging app so you can easily send them a message were ever they are flawlessly.
    -This is built right into the Phone app of the Pre3 and TouchPad. They worked close with Skype to get this to work as if you were calling someone right from the phone app itself. It might be the best skype experience out there.
    PDF viewer
    -Come already installed
    Flash player
    -Works on the TouchPad and the Pre3 but we do not know about performance yet as they haven't came out yet so I can't compare it to Android.
    Landscape view
    -Of Course!!!
    802.11 G,N
    -Both the TouchPad and the Pre3 come with Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
    Alarm
    -Right in the Clock app but you can get many others in the App Catalogue.
    Standalone news apps
    -The New York Times and many other are coming to WebOS as of the TouchPad launch date.
    -The Quick Office Suite will open all these for you. Editing will not be available at lauch but what that means is you will have to wait 1 or 2 weeks for them to finish it up.
    RDP & Citrix
    -The TouchPad has its own Citrix app that will work great. I do believe that Citrix will actually be able to edit its own documents so any business docs you need to worry about will be able to be edited for the first 2 weeks after launch.
    -The TouchPad works great with VPN. I do not know any specifics about sonicwall but I have no reason to believe why it would not work as HP is supporting all VPN networks.
    -This is a interesting app that I have heard of but not had the pleasure of using. I don't believe we have a business card scanner yet in the App Catalogue.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I vote for saying screw the Pre3 and get something else. If in the time you have the other phone and are enjoying the full blown support and attention you are getting from the army of developers and continuous OS updates HP decides to ACTUALLY come through with some innovation and "Cool phone"-ness then maybe when its time for your next contract you MIGHT desire to switch back to webOS.
    I used to go waaaaaay out of my way to sell and persuade people to jump on the webOS bandwagon. As you can tell I'm not doing that until they give me something
    to believe in again.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Ford sync works on my meta-doctored Pre-. Only thing missing is voice to text and vice versa. Everything else is very nice.

Steaming music is great, I usually stream pandora.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    Why would you say you doubt it's compatible with Ford Sync support?
    For starters, the phone is not out yet and I unless I missed it, there has been no statement as to the compatibility. And to add to that, my Pre Plus works perfectly in my 2010 Focus. Why wouldn't the Pre 3?
    Its because it did not list on their manual.
    http://www.syncmyride.com/own/suppor...v100_us_en.pdf

and damn test car I test drove last year could not pair with my Pre+ at the time. Therefore, I didn't tick that option for my company car. I should have researched and asked you guys rather than listening to the sales.