Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well I originally switched to Sprint from T-mobile for the original Pre. I held that phone for a year until it was just a little bit too out of date for my tastes and switched to the Evo 4g as a hold over.

I was very much hoping that the Pre 3 would be on Sprint, but sadly I am going to have to jump ship.

I would recommend that anyone who hasn't done so check to see if you have a Verizon discount from work. I do. (government employee 25% discount) I know when I was in the private sector my last company had a similar discount.

I've run the numbers for my single line and I'll actually be coming out cheaper on Verizon once the 25% is applied getting equal service features.

I'm a little unhappy about being in this situation, however. Sprint has generally been a good carrier and my interactions with them have been positive. I also have a thing for supporting the underdog especially because I fear the day when we only have two choices in cell providers like everything else in this country. (quickly approaching with the imminent merger of AT&T and Tmobile) It likely won't be long until Verizon absorbs Sprint. Give it 2-3 years especially with horrible moves like this Pre disaster on Sprint's part.

Furthermore I do not want the Pre to die off. Although Pre support wasn't the best on the part of Palm (not surprising as the company was on its death bed) it was still leaps and bounds better than any android support I have seen. (as I side note I do not blame HP at all for dropping the original Pre... it was a Palm project and was dead before HP ever showed up)

What I mean by that is that android is fractured across various manufacturers. When and IF you ever see a software update is entirely based on how profitable it is to support that phone. The vast majority of the time the manufacturer already has the latest and greatest out and your chances of a software update are slim to none.

With the Pre 3 & Veer HP only has to worry about its own hardware and two phones to support. One would expect that any and all WebOS updates will be pushed to these phones regularly. (after all, where else are they going to push them?) HP wants WebOS to thrive, and that means constant development from this point. I would expect a repeat of the early days of the Pre.... frequent WebOS updates making the platform better and better. Due to the fact only two phones are likely to exist for the foreseeable future these devices will likely get far more support and development than any android user could ever dream of unless said android user plans to upgrade to new hardware every 6 months.

Overall switching the Verizon and the Pre 3 is an all around win anyway I can think to look at it. I have to admit I was somewhat tempted by the Evo 3d on sprint, but for what? A dual core processor? My Evo 4g is plenty fast. I'll have the same version of android and a new layer of HTC sense which will likely NEVER get updated until I put up the cash for the next HTC device. 3d screen was somewhat interesting... but for what? I see myself taking advantage of the 3d briefly as a novelty then forgetting about it.

On the other hand I can get a great operating system that is likely to be supported for an extended period of time. The most frustrating part of Android was the fact it was a "Pre 3" scenario every time a new version of Android or sense came out. When will we get updated? WILL we get updated? Is the phone dead in the eyes of all involved even though I just bought it? You get nothing from the manufacturer or carrier. I'm done with that game.

Again, I'm unhappy to leave Sprint. I really hoped they would survive so that 3 competitive carriers would exist, but they have absolutely nothing to offer most people other than cheaper monthly fees. With T-mobile out of the picture it is Verizon & ATT against Sprint.... and it doesn't look pretty.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    u forget that verizon usually updates their phones about 3 months after sprint and with the pre plus their maps was gimped.
    so i would hold off on being an early adopter with them -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    u forget that verizon usually updates their phones about 3 months after sprint and with the pre plus their maps was gimped.
    I am a little worried about Navigation. (a frequent feature I use) $10 a month is a little pricey for that feature.... I have to wonder though if HP is including their own navigation application in lieu of Verizon Navigation? I would imagine so if they truly want to be competitive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    I switched from Sprint to ATT when I got an unlocked Pre 2. I'm glad I'm not on contract because my ATT signal is horrible in the immediately area where I live. I plan on going to Verizon for the Pre 3. My biggest concern about Verizon is what you said -- they seem to be the last with the updates.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek234 View Post
    With the Pre 3 & Veer HP only has to worry about its own hardware and two phones to support. One would expect that any and all WebOS updates will be pushed to these phones regularly. (after all, where else are they going to push them?) HP wants WebOS to thrive, and that means constant development from this point. I would expect a repeat of the early days of the Pre.... frequent WebOS updates making the platform better and better. Due to the fact only two phones are likely to exist for the foreseeable future these devices will likely get far more support and development than any android user could ever dream of unless said android user plans to upgrade to new hardware every 6 months.
    I don't want to take away from the overall thrust of your post (which I kinda agree with) but only 2 phones? ! There's also the Pre2 (and then the Pre+ and Pixi+ all of which I've owned). I'd like to believe that the webOS is doing better than Android on the device update front but on Android I could at least get a Nexus phone (on 3 out of the 4 carriers) and be ensured timely updates. HP hasn't proven they'll do the same yet and their track record actually says the opposite. I'll be getting the Pre3 but it's not because I believe that HP will deliver a lot of updates.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the problem with verizon is that they dont allow for other nav options. if u dont pay for their navigation they gimp the gps signal.... at least thats how it worked out with the pre plus. if u will rely on nav for the pre3 u should wait for the reviews from verizon or go to att.
    the thing that sux the most is verizon takes months longer to approve OTA updates. and even with the apple iphone they are like 2 versions behind the att one. to me thats a huge deal, i mean developers work their *** off to get u new experiences on ure phone and enjoy it more and verizon is just a huge road block...
    im not happy about it, but i may move away from sprint if they have passed up on webos completly. right now im just leaning more towards att for the reason that i know HP will be releasing great OTA updates and verizon will take forever to get them -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I am a little worried about Navigation. (a frequent feature I use) $10 a month is a little pricey for that feature.... I have to wonder though if HP is including their own navigation application in lieu of Verizon Navigation? I would imagine so if they truly want to be competitive.....
    Better to just buy that app (ndrive?). As expensive as it may be, it ends up cheaper than VZ Navigator and gives you on-device maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Better to just buy that app (ndrive?). As expensive as it may be, it ends up cheaper than VZ Navigator and gives you on-device maps.
    +1 to what is said here!

Now I agree with most of this thread. Sprint didnt do to well on the support end of things. Palm screwed up alot too. Thats why HP now owns Palm! So at the end of the day Sprint users of WebOS got sorta screwed.

I am thinking of going back to VZ. I have not made up my mind. If I end up staying with Sprint I may have to give WebOS up. I will know more within a few months. I hope Sprint gives HP some support with WebOS devices.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    I was a Sprint convert on launch day from AT&T. I switched back to AT&T for the Veer and have been impressed with improved AT&T service. I am paying about $20 more/month but am generally happy.
    I've had a VZW and a Sprint line for about 18 months. There is no comparison in data coverage, VZW blows Sprint away, even with roaming enabled on my Sprint phone. My Pre 2 on VZW is still waiting for its update, they are even slower for android. If nav is really important, get a real GPS unit, the cell phone apps and Google maps are not very accurate in my experience.
    I've run the numbers for my single line and I'll actually be coming out cheaper on Verizon once the 25% is applied getting equal service features.
    You may want to double check. Generally discounts only cover the plan, not the addons (data, messaging, etc.).
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    You may want to double check. Generally discounts only cover the plan, not the addons (data, messaging, etc.).
    I've checked already.... I had the discount link sent to my work email and sure enough all the prices I see are 25% off everything across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    It depends on the discount. I'm on AT&T and I get 15% off the calling plan, and 15% off a data plan or text plan over $15.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I just found out I can get a 25% discount on vzw through work. That all but erases Sprint's price advantage. I do have to give up nav but I don't use it much.

Btw, sprint hasn't pushed out 1.4.5.1 yet,but vzw has.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I get a 25% discount on service and accessories with Sprint. Plus I'm a premiere gold member, so I can change phones every 12 months with the $150 discount. I think I'll stay put.
    I would recommend that anyone who hasn't done so check to see if you have a Verizon discount from work. I do. (government employee 25% discount) I know when I was in the private sector my last company had a similar discount.
    What kind of proof do you need for that? I'm a contractor, but I couldn't submit a paystub... I have a federal badge though, and an email I just don't know anyone at Verizon, only Sprint that can get me discounts.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    What kind of proof do you need for that? I'm a contractor, but I couldn't submit a paystub... I have a federal badge though, and an email I just don't know anyone at Verizon, only Sprint that can get me discounts.
    You must provide your email address ending at the appropriate domain. i.e. johndoe@fbi.gov.

If you are a federal contractor I don't know how you would go about it or if you would even qualify. My agency provides a link to employees where we submit our email address to Verizon through a special web site.

Verizon then sends an email to our work email account with a link to its website that is only valid for 72 hours. Once you click the link it will take you to the Verizon site customized with the prices on everything adjusted 25% down and you shop the site just like anyone else. It also gives you the option to provide your current account info if you are already a Verizon customer.

Here is the link to submit your email address: http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2...entication.jsp

I don't know what contractors have, but I suppose you can try yours and see if it applies to you.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I stoped by a "real" Verizon store again today and asked them some questions.

1) Pre3 - no real idea- showed me the Pre2 and informed me that it alone sold decently and about as well as all their blackberrys and the manger mused as to why they didnt hold any in stock.

2) Discounts will be applied to the primary line, and then to add ons on each line- ie data

For my work its 18% on primary line then 20% off of the add ons

3)GPS is 'free on android because they have GPS built in' to me I took this as, if the device had a real GPS in it, then it works..but the pre2 has one in it..but its crippled? dunno for sure.

4) if your in a unlimited data contract or plan, when they go teired you will keep that plan

5) terminaton fee of smart phones is 350$ pro rated at a rate of 10$ a month untill nothing.
    Thanks for all the info! I have a .gov email address, so I may check it out as my Sprint contract is coming to a close at the beginning of September. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to try it out, but I'm hoping by then I'll have landed a non-contracted federal job anyway
    Precentral had an article about the pre2 GPS working just fine on verizon... Verizon Pre 2 GPS doesn't appear to be crippled, huzzah! [Updated] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast