Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like the title says...

I was just at the local Bell store here in St. John's NL. Me and my lady both have a bell Pre- and soon due for an upgrade... I asked her to go ask the rep (female) if they will be getting the HP Pre 3 and the rep says "I'm not sure when it will be here but they spoke about it in our training last week...

Another (male) rep overheard the "Pre" conversation and said "It won't be a Palm phone"... their latest one is on Rogers only and has a different radio than Bell phones...gsm?

Didn't ask anymore questions and left kind of excited!

So, that's how it went down. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    that statement by the "male rep" is confusing since bell also runs gsm in most places...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    that statement by the "male rep" is confusing since bell also runs gsm in most places...
    UMTS. Bell doesn't have a GSM network.

Quote Originally Posted by brentdowney View Post
    Another (male) rep overheard the "Pre" conversation and said "It won't be a Palm phone"... their latest one is on Rogers only and has a different radio than Bell phones...gsm?
    It's not Palm, of course. It's HP now. But I'm surprised they didn't know about HSPA. Don't they carry the iPhone?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 06/17/2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I will investigate. I'd rather not leave Bell, but I will if I have to...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    You don't need to leave Bell in order to have a Pre3. I have a Pre2 with Bell as we speak.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    And I have a Veer on Bell. Canada doesn't even have it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Okay but what Palm/HP call their "GSM" phones...work on Bell's network as I'm using an unlocked Pre 2 with a Bell SIM card as you probably are with your Veer...

An unlocked "GSM" Pre 3 should work just fine...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    i hope bell gets it. i have a pre minus as my work phone and will be due for upgrade next spring.
    Pretty much everyone calls UMTS and HSPA by the (technically incorrect) moniker of GSM, just like everyone calls EVDO by the (technically incorrect) moniker of CDMA.

Just like everyone calls the USA 'America' even though the two aren't really the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    Okay but what Palm/HP call their "GSM" phones...work on Bell's network as I'm using an unlocked Pre 2 with a Bell SIM card as you probably are with your Veer...

An unlocked "GSM" Pre 3 should work just fine...
    gsm is actually just an industry trade name. as far as i know.
    And I have a Veer on Bell. Canada doesn't even have it.
    how well does the veer work on Bells HSPA+ network?
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    how well does the veer work on Bells HSPA+ network?
    Much better than my CDMA. I'm constantly getting "too fast" with the DSLReports mobile speed test, and I started getting reception where I never did (e.g. the basement parking lot in my building).

Although I seem to have lost capped data.

Data capped sessions at 0.097/mb are lost when you go to HSPA

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    Data capped sessions at 0.097/mb are lost when you go to HSPA

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There has been reports on those with Nexus Ones still have capped data.

One major difference I notice is that they use a web proxy. I'm still trying to figure out how to enter that on webOS.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Have you checked the settings on my thread?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...a-network.html
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    You're still getting capped?

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Not until the last month, when I broke the phone.
    Waiting for the Pre3 to test it. Can you try the settings on your Veer to see how it goes? Let me know if you have a MCC option, it should be set to 302.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    There's no option to manually set MCC and web proxy.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    From my memory:

1. Open the Phone App.
    2. Open the Phone preferences option from the top Left Hand Side menu.
    3. Scroll to the NETWORK section.
    4. Switch the Manual Settings to ON.
    5. Select the Edit Network Settings.

Do you have an Internet APN? You should also have a MMS APN. Press it and it will show all the fields... let me know if you find it.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    From my memory:

1. Open the Phone App.
    2. Open the Phone preferences option from the top Left Hand Side menu.
    3. Scroll to the NETWORK section.
    4. Switch the Manual Settings to ON.
    5. Select the Edit Network Settings.

Do you have an Internet APN? You should also have a MMS APN. Press it and it will show all the fields... let me know if you find it.
    Yes, that's not there. It's already filled for both Internet and MMS APN with the settings from Bell, except that Internet Proxy. MMS proxy is already filled.

Also, I found out last night, Mobile Hotspot does NOT work if you have pda.bell.ca. But if you switch Internet APN to pda2.bell.ca it WILL work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast