Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Right now for 2 Pres on Sprint I pay $120 (corporate discount, 2 teps).

Doing the same on Verizon for 2 Pre2s puts it at $160 a month (Nationwide Talk & Text Family SharePlan® 1400, unlimited data on both, 2 teps). I loose out on not having a gps navigator, but then again I rarely use it on Sprint anymore.

Not too bad, especially since in my area my pre tends to roam a lot.

Edit: I can get it to $130 by choosing 700 mins and 250 texts plans, which probably will work fine for us.
    Last edited by mosdl; 06/17/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    In the end, our contract is up in October, if Sprint doesn't have a WebOS 2.x+ device with hardware keyboard we will be leaving Sprint when we get new phones.
    I did much the same as you, but my contract is up already. My wife and daughter are in a little bit of a different situation, but I know how we're going to transition.

However, I didn't look at Verizon, I looked at AT&T. I think I like the idea of changing to GSM, if I have to change.

Bottom line for us, if we don't hear some pretty solid information by the end of July that Sprint is picking up the new WebOS products, we're switching. It'll probably be to AT&T
    Please, don't take this as "exact", but I did a quick check with AT&T. I can't compare package to package, because none of the other carriers offer exactly the same deal, we are going to pay about $10-$20 a month more for three phones with AT&T for effectively the same service. No unlimited data, but with a few modification on how we use things (mostly on my end) we'd be under their 4gb cap on my line, and way under 2gb on my wife's and daughter's.
    Wow Verizon is expensive for an individual plan. I'm currently on the Sprint $69 plan. The unlimited mobile to mobile is a life saver on that as well as 7pm evenings. Even with the $10 data charge, Verizon will be $10/month more expensive. That doesn't sound too bad at first. Well with nights starting at 9 and only unlimited Verizon to Verizon talk, I will have trouble staying under 450 anytime minutes which means I would the need the 900 minute plan with friends and family to work for me but then the cost goes up to $110/month which is now $30/month more expensive. Either way I'm paying more for less and would have to go back to the watch my minutes and watch the clock world or pay $30/month more to not worry just for the pleasure of using a Pre 3. I think I'm just going to go the opposite way and get a dumbphone once my Pre- becomes unusable which won't be long between headphone jack issues and ghost in the phone touchscreen issues. If the iphone comes to Sprint in the fall, maybe I'll use one of those.
    Wow, owning a telephone is expensive in the US sorry for you guys...
    does att or verizon offer a govt discount for govt employees (federal)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    man i hope this ATT , Tmobile crap gets blocked. the last thing we need is less competition here in the us =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Wow, owning a telephone is expensive in the US sorry for you guys...
    It is just a different model - in the US, the phones are cheap or free, because they are subsidized by being locked into a multi-year contract with a carrier. In Europe and elsewhere, you pay up front for the hardware, and data and calls are cheaper.

Personally, I like the non-US model, but I'm one of the cheapskates on Sprint, and have a real hard time justifying the expense of moving to GSM.

And since I have a Frankenpre2, I can't justify leaving soon.

For any Sprint user thinking of switching, look at the extra monthly costs, then use that money for a used Pre 2. Probably break even in a few months, and then you are just saving money, with no new activation fee, no contract extension, and the existing low rates.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I've got one line at 450/month. I never go over the limit, even with mobile-to-mobile; and never go over 1gb in data usage. Texting goes up and down, depending on what is going on at work, but never over 100 per month.

Sprint
    69.99 – 450 unlimited.
    Asurion - $7 to Asurion,
    Taxes/surcharges - $10.42
    Current bill - $76.99 (no taxes/surcharges) $87.41 (including the taxes/surcharges)

Plus the $10 fee with the new smart phone.
    Total bill would be 90 without insurance. The surcharges might increase a little, since most of them are based on a percentage of the bill.

Verizon -450
    $39.99
    Text $5
    Data - $29.99
    Asurion - $7 ( assuming it’s the same)
    Current bill would be $81.98 (no taxes/surcharges), if Verizon makes no changes.

Going over to Verizon wouldn't cost me much. I've been with Sprint long enough to qualify for the gold discount on the handset, so that would be some savings, at least during the first year. Whether I go over to Verizon will depend on what Verizon does with tiers. When they go to tiers (and they will), there are a couple of ways they could go - caps on data, or throttling down on speed. And I'm betting they can do what Comcast did and throttle down on speed without mentioning it, and waiting to see if anyone notices. If I'm paying for data, I may not use much but what is used is important and I want to use it effectively, not at a reduced speed. So as much as I want the Pre3, I may wait and see what Verizon does with its data plans.

My Pre-minus has been snug in its little case and is in pristine condition. I could hold out for Sprint, if there is info indicating they are getting another WebOs phone. I love WebOs and will probaly reluctantly switch carriers if I have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    However, I didn't look at Verizon, I looked at AT&T. I think I like the idea of changing to GSM, if I have to change.
    Yeah with everything that's gone down lately, I am thinking GSM is where we will go, even if I don't like AT&T as much. I like the idea of buying a GSM phone and just throwing in my SIM card (would love to get the Pre3 on contract then buy a cheap Veer off contract). Plus in the future I won't have to worry about my carrier making the decision on my phone choice (in the majority of cases).

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Please, don't take this as "exact", but I did a quick check with AT&T. I can't compare package to package, because none of the other carriers offer exactly the same deal, we are going to pay about $10-$20 a month more for three phones with AT&T for effectively the same service. No unlimited data, but with a few modification on how we use things (mostly on my end) we'd be under their 4gb cap on my line, and way under 2gb on my wife's and daughter's.
    I am with you, my wife will be well under the 2 gigs, just gotta see if I can stay under 2 gigs. Still thinking since the overage chargers aren't that bad, if I go over 2 gigs it would still be cheaper than the 4 gigs every month.

Ohh and in another thread an AT&T user mentioned if you know you are going to have increased data you can just hope online and change it for that month, then change it back. No need to deal with CS or anything.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Wow Verizon is expensive for an individual plan. I'm currently on the Sprint $69 plan. The unlimited mobile to mobile is a life saver on that as well as 7pm evenings. Even with the $10 data charge, Verizon will be $10/month more expensive. That doesn't sound too bad at first. Well with nights starting at 9 and only unlimited Verizon to Verizon talk, I will have trouble staying under 450 anytime minutes which means I would the need the 900 minute plan with friends and family to work for me but then the cost goes up to $110/month which is now $30/month more expensive. Either way I'm paying more for less and would have to go back to the watch my minutes and watch the clock world or pay $30/month more to not worry just for the pleasure of using a Pre 3. I think I'm just going to go the opposite way and get a dumbphone once my Pre- becomes unusable which won't be long between headphone jack issues and ghost in the phone touchscreen issues. If the iphone comes to Sprint in the fall, maybe I'll use one of those.
    You may wanna check ATT, they have the unlimited mobile to mobile.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    For any Sprint user thinking of switching, look at the extra monthly costs, then use that money for a used Pre 2. Probably break even in a few months, and then you are just saving money, with no new activation fee, no contract extension, and the existing low rates.
    I had thought about this, but not worth it to me since the plan prices are pretty close. The Pre 2 is a good phone, but if I am going to spend the money, I think I would rather have the newest technology (autofocus camera, TTS ability, etc) that the Pre3 comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by starburst View Post
    Going over to Verizon wouldn't cost me much. I've been with Sprint long enough to qualify for the gold discount on the handset, so that would be some savings, at least during the first year. Whether I go over to Verizon will depend on what Verizon does with tiers. When they go to tiers (and they will), there are a couple of ways they could go - caps on data, or throttling down on speed. And I'm betting they can do what Comcast did and throttle down on speed without mentioning it, and waiting to see if anyone notices. If I'm paying for data, I may not use much but what is used is important and I want to use it effectively, not at a reduced speed. So as much as I want the Pre3, I may wait and see what Verizon does with its data plans.

My Pre-minus has been snug in its little case and is in pristine condition. I could hold out for Sprint, if there is info indicating they are getting another WebOs phone. I love WebOs and will probaly reluctantly switch carriers if I have to.
    Don't forget if you get on a VZW contract with unlimited data, they either have to honor it or let you out of it when they go tiered. If they throttle, I am guessing it would be on heavy users, which you are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by snaptrax View Post
    When it comes to unlimited data on AT&T, that was eliminated about a year ago. I don't think they will be going back. I am an AT&T customer and have the 2 GB data plan. It practically is unlimited because I have not even come close to using all the data. I also run my phone with WiFi, which helps cut down data. I have my email all ways up and updating every 5 minutes. I also have PreWare, a few browsers, and the App Catalog running and up date them periodicly through the day, close to once an hour. With all of this and a few abnormalities through the day, the most data I have used is just under 1 GB. I hope that helps some with AT&T.

P.S. I also have to corp. discount which helps to bring the price down.
    Wasn't that one of the reasons for the tmo buyout. att load was at an all time high that's why they had mad major data throttling done. with more towers it should free things up significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Don't forget if you get on a VZW contract with unlimited data, they either have to honor it or let you out of it when they go tiered. If they throttle, I am guessing it would be on heavy users, which you are not.
    Well, they might go a different way. They are already throttling data for the heaviest users. At least one Wall Street Analyst believes they could structure tiers based on speed, with lower priced tiers receiving the lowest speeds. No thanks. Verizon to tier smartphone plans in June but not necessarily through caps | Unfiltered
    Yeah but either way, if you are under contract, they have to honor your contract or let you out of it when they make that change.
    I wish webOS would come to Virgin Mobile in some shape or form. Their $40 plan is really solid.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Please show me your bill on VZ and AT&T;here is my Sprint bill. 3 lines with 1500 shared minutes,plus the other usual Sprint stuff (free mobile-to-mobile,Nav,etc.) Corporate discount of 25%.

I am going to switch if the Pre 3 does not come to Sprint.

Sprint's unlimited data and text plus m2m is a big difference maker. I can't understand my friend on ATT telling me not to text me anymore b/c he's over his text allotment (200!) for the month and he'd have to wait another 8 days before it resets. I can't fathom trying to compose and package my texts just so i keep it to one text so I'm not wasting texts. I'm so used to using texts like IM. And yes, I do use mobile hotspot on my pre-. I don't go overboard with it but as long as Sprint is looking the other way, unlike ATT/Ver who's cracking down), it's hard to leave Sprint. Again, 2 lines, 1500 shared, m2m, gps, unlimited data/txt, 24% corp discount on entire bill, 7pm, tep on 1 line... $115 total/mo (not paying the smartphone $10 surcharge yet). Not sure if I can find something similar at the other big 2.

It's not easy following handsets to another carrier... there are other variables.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    does att or verizon offer a govt discount for govt employees (federal)
    AT&T does
    Only one of my phones use data. If I switch to verizon or att I can get a family plan with less minutes and data for only the pre and keep it about the same as what I'm paying now. We don't use a lot of anytime minutes. Tomorrow my pre is out of contract and I'll be a free agent!!!!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast