Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Everything is pointing to $199 as the launch price. But we know the Veer launched officially with $99 and was almost immediately available for less. It seemed anyone who actually paid that $99 was probably feeling pretty bad about it by a month later (about the price, not the veer itself)...

I know its been a long time but I can't help but think that would be the prudent thing to do here. I know, dropping prices might be a bad sign for the phone's success but a good sign for someone getting it. I got my pre+ at $39.99 well after it launched on AT&T.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is pausing for reasons like this. Its not that the $199 would kill me. But having it for $100+ more than I needed to might....
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, if they would give pre owners who trade that in for a pre3 i would buy it day one... leave sprint behind. but otherwise will wait for a good off contract price deal like amazon had with the veer for 50 bux -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    This has been on my mind, as I was burned when the original Pre dropped rapidly in price. Personally, I have decided to wait until the iPhone 5 launch. That way I can weigh both phones and, if I do get a Pre3, probably buy at half the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Everything is pointing to $199 as the launch price. But we know the Veer launched officially with $99 and was almost immediately available for less. It seemed anyone who actually paid that $99 was probably feeling pretty bad about it by a month later (about the price, not the veer itself)...
    The Veer was actually launched at 99, 49, and free. This was based on different subsidizing. From what I know the Veer is still 99 at ATT, 49 from HP, and FREE from BB. Amazon jumped in and dropped theirs to .01

Just saying other than Amazon there was no price drop on the Veer, those were the launch prices. The off contract price has not changed from HP, the subsidies were just different depending on retailer. Also I know some folks got ATT to match the BB free pricing.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    This might be a noob question, but if I had no plans on switching carriers for the next 2 years, are there any other benefits to buying off contract? Is the whole point of paying full price just so you have the option of switching to a different carrier for a new phone before the contract is up?
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    pretty much, yeah. When something they do ****es you off you don't have to stay with them.
    The only thing is, in the US there isn't much to really switch to (without losing something).

CDMA, there is no switching so if you are gonna pay full price go GSM.

GSM you can switch, but T-Mobile 3G is on a different frequency than ATT, so you get slow speeds. Not sure about the regional carriers, but from what I understand if you go to a regional GSM carrier there are other things you can lose besides just losing 3G.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    even though my Pre- is hanging on by a thread, I'm planning on waiting at least 30 days after the P3 release so I can read reviews about how it's built and the software... And to see what the price situation is.

unless, "things are made right" in a very real way with some significant discounts from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The only thing is, in the US there isn't much to really switch to (without losing something).

CDMA, there is no switching so if you are gonna pay full price go GSM.

GSM you can switch, but T-Mobile 3G is on a different frequency than ATT, so you get slow speeds. Not sure about the regional carriers, but from what I understand if you go to a regional GSM carrier there are other things you can lose besides just losing 3G.
    As part of switching my contract to whatever carrier/device I like, I'd be inclined to just break my contract, eat the pro-rated fee, and sell the device on Ebay.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    In the US, the option of switching GSM carriers won't even matter if the AT&T / T-Mobile merger goes through.
    Buying off contract on T-Mobile would allow you to not have mandatory internet. AT&T requires internet on a smartphone no matter what.

Hopefully I will have the Pre3 available at Fry's to upgrade on AT&T, and if the price comes down I will just use the 30 day low price guarantee

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums