Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone. I need some help.

My O2 contact has now finished and I am now on a 1 month plan. I have 'Pre'ordered my Pre 3 and now want to look at the best sim only phone plans.

I found this from three.co.uk

Three - Pay Monthly - SIM Only - Choose your SIM

Specifically looking at The One Plan which includes unlimited data, but more importantly, free tethering. This will be great for the Touchpad.

Can anyone beat this, or has anyone got any experience with Three?

(Let's see if we can go through this thread WITHOUT anyone Else mentioning Spr1nt.)
    I avoid 3 because there is pretty much no reception anywhere I would want to use it but the tarrifs are good.

I just went through the same process, cancelling my O2 contract and looking at the other options.

GiffGaff is very good, offering 10 per month bolt-ons with 100 minutes and unlimited texts and data (totally unlimited it now seems). They also use the O2 network so you should get the same coverage you are used to and you don't need to unlock your old phone to use it.

In the end I opted for T-Mobile who offer a free PAYG sim with a 20 bolt-on for 6 months data. There are limits on this but only for downloads and streaming. App data, emails and surfing are all unlimited. You also get some bonus free minutes depending how often you top-up and since I rarely make calls this was ideal for me. I had to get my Pre- unlocked but it is now happily roaming on T-Mobile and Orange cells with all the data I can eat. All in all less than a third what I was paying to O2 and better service (coverage is better in the rural locations I like to visit).
  3. H
    I have been considering getting Pre3 off contract and then getting a separate plan also.

I looked at three and their plans seemed quite good. Three currently use Orange to provide their 2G service where there is no 3 3G coverage. However recently there have been reports that 3 have been switching off 2G orange roaming in areas where they think they have good coverage.
    As 3G signals can be weaker indoors this could leave you with no signal in your house.

Therefore it is possibly worth going for, but you might want to check signal strength with other people in your area on three.

I will probably go with Tesco Mobile as they a MVNO using o2's masts and o2 have very good signals in my areas.
    Currently they have a 12 month plan (possibly online only?) offering:
    * 500 Minutes
    * 5000 Texts
    * 1GB internet

For only 12.50 a month which seems fairly unbeatable (Unless you need lots of minutes)
    if you go for 3 your friend won't phone you, as it's really expensive to call !!
    Orange & T-mob have a roaming agreement, which means you get better coverage, so that's the way I'll go in October when my O2 runs out.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    if you go for 3 your friend won't phone you, as it's really expensive to call !!
    Can you please clarify this point? Why would it be expensive for other people to call me?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I have been considering getting Pre3 off contract and then getting a separate plan also.

I looked at three and their plans seemed quite good. Three currently use Orange to provide their 2G service where there is no 3 3G coverage. However recently there have been reports that 3 have been switching off 2G orange roaming in areas where they think they have good coverage.
    As 3G signals can be weaker indoors this could leave you with no signal in your house.

Therefore it is possibly worth going for, but you might want to check signal strength with other people in your area on three.

I will probably go with Tesco Mobile as they a MVNO using o2's masts and o2 have very good signals in my areas.
    Currently they have a 12 month plan (possibly online only?) offering:
    * 500 Minutes
    * 5000 Texts
    * 1GB internet

For only 12.50 a month which seems fairly unbeatable (Unless you need lots of minutes)
    Thanks for this info. Actually, coverage in my house is not an issue as I am on Wifi, but it's certainly a point to consider for elsewhere.

The Tesco deal looks really good, but I specifically like the free tethering and unlimited data of the Three plan. I don't really care about free minutes or texts. Still, I imagine it will be good for other people as it is a really good deal.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    GiffGaff is very good, offering 10 per month bolt-ons with 100 minutes and unlimited texts and data (totally unlimited it now seems). They also use the O2 network so you should get the same coverage you are used to and you don't need to unlock your old phone to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/10pound-facebook-goodybag

Is unlimited really unlimited?

The answer is yes, we are unlimited for personal mobile use - but not for commercial and automated use. Mobile Internet allowances exclude PC use and tethering.
    Well, it appears that the GiffGaff option, although being competitive, does have it's limitations. Good find though.
    I am using giffgaff on my Pre 2. Data allowance is really unlimited. All you can't do is tethering.
    You have to setup the APN manually. The Pre 2 takes giffgaff as O2 and assigns an O2 APN automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Well, it appears that the GiffGaff option, although being competitive, does have it's limitations. Good find though.
    True but I think you will find all the carriers have that and if you use Freetether and only use it for a tablet how on earth would they ever know and why would it matter? The traffic patterns for a touchpad will be identical to a pre, same browser, same email client, same apps etc. Not that they should be looking inside your IP packets anyway, but if they did they would see stuff that looks just like someone using a webos phone.

If you tether a PC on the other hand the traffic will look very different and may cause eyebrowse to be raised.

For reference, my grandfathered-in unlimited O2 tarrif says that it cannot be used for tethering too.
    I would have thought that O2's retention department will lower the price of a SIM Only to keep custom. I need to decide how much data I need, I've not really got a clue, I usually keep my 3G off to save battery so most of my data is WiFi. 3G is on when I'm in my car (Touchstone & Mode Switcher) but I don't know how much data the Pre eats through for Synergy, etc. Anyone got any ideas?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I mentioned this is another thread.......I recently signed a new 24 months contract with O2 and got a Samsung Galaxy S2 for free. Sold it on gumtree for 380 which should cover the cost of a sim free Pre 3.

Sorted
    I will probably get off contract if the play.com price is right, then either keep my exisiting o2 contract rolling (as the older ones are better than new) or upgrade in Sept and sell on the phone I get with the upgrade to off set the Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Can you please clarify this point? Why would it be expensive for other people to call me?
    Look at the Tariffs.
    Another vote for GiffGaff
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Look at the Tariffs.
    I have. Surely calling a Three mobile is the same cost as calling any other mobile. Could you please link to a section that says other people get charged more for calling a Three mobile than any other UK mobile phone.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by P_Yiddy View Post
    I mentioned this is another thread.......I recently signed a new 24 months contract with O2 and got a Samsung Galaxy S2 for free. Sold it on gumtree for 380 which should cover the cost of a sim free Pre 3.

Sorted
    That is clever. Good for you. However, if you are paying 30 per month over 24 months, you will be spending 480 more than if you were on a GiffGaff plan. It's still a good idea though.

Personally I don't want to be on a 24 month contract, but that's just me.
  17.    #17  
    OK, the more I read about GiffGaff the more I'm liking. It seems to echo the WebOS community pretty well. Thanks for your help with this. I think I've made my decision.
    No contract on giffgaff. Switch if you don't like it.
    GiffGaff might not be so good after all... I just read through some T's&C's...
    Mobile Internet:
    Mobile Internet is free until 30 JUN (with a fair use of 100MB a day). After that date it will be charged at 20p a day. If you use less than 1MB/day you'll pay less than 20p and if you go over 20MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB.
    After looking at my data usage for the month so fair via myO2 and working out for monthly, I would be paying an extra 21 a month for data on giffgaff... all of a sudden not so good. I don;t think I am a heavy user and average 23.5mb a day, so I may be able to keep it to under 20mb, but I do already have wifi at home.

*Edit* I forgot to add the 20p a day, that's an extra 6 a month, putting it at 27 plus the 10 'goodybag' = 37, might as well keep my o2 at 35.74.
    Last edited by OverlordsComing; 06/17/2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Adding detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordsComing View Post
    GiffGaff might not be so good after all... I just read through some T's&C's...

After looking at my data usage for the month so fair via myO2 and working out for monthly, I would be paying an extra 21 a month for data on giffgaff... all of a sudden not so good. I don;t think I am a heavy user and average 23.5mb a day, so I may be able to keep it to under 20mb, but I do already have wifi at home.

*Edit* I forgot to add the 20p a day, that's an extra 6 a month, putting it at 27 plus the 10 'goodybag' = 37, might as well keep my o2 at 35.74.
    Data is unlimited when you buy a goodybag.

Unlimited Data With giffgaff goodybags | giffgaf.com

I get the 10 one every month. 250mins, unlimited texts & data.
    Can't beat it. If you can...let me know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast