Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FWIW, I have been on the phone with ATT twice in the last couple of weeks. Once with Enterprise Customer Service and once with Sales. Neither time did they know if or when ATT would get the Pre3. One CSR did say to me that they only found out about new devices one week prior to launch.
    From the way HPalm is handling the Veer rollout. It could be an exclusive with VZW. Sprint though is going to have a mighty many Pre subs looking for to jump.

As for me I'll wait till its available on Sprint. If it is exclusive till January, I have a few more months then before I can upgrade without issue. That will just give me more time to see this division solidify better.

I just wish they would get these phones out already.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    We may be able to hold out until January, but I really wish I knew for sure. If that does happen, then we need new batteries. We are using our original batteries, and Dr. Battery shows them both just a little over 81% of capacity.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    FWIW, I have been on the phone with ATT twice in the last couple of weeks. Once with Enterprise Customer Service and once with Sales. Neither time did they know if or when ATT would get the Pre3. One CSR did say to me that they only found out about new devices one week prior to launch.
    I find this interesting. Not just because of the assumptions of an ATT phone due to FCC filings and the 2/9 event but because it's pretty much the same thing that we hear from Sprint.
    Customer Service people are low-wage idiots that are at the very bottom of the information chain. They get news on a need-to-know basis, which means they get it on a need-to-sell-next-week basis. Carriers and stores can't afford to spend hours if not days every week on educating their highly expendable and extremely badly paid sales force about the finer points of hardware roadmaps.
    That's why a customer rep will tell you anything he/she believes will make you either go away or buy a new phone on the spot, depending on how they feel that day and on whether they're getting bonus payments for selling a certain model. They don't know what they're gonna sell in a month; they do know what they're selling NOW, and that's incidentally also what and when they want to sell.

I never understood this drive to elevate 19-year-old part-timing kids earning 8 dollars an hour hocking telephones to gurus who are somehow expected to know the roadmap of all major and minor smartphone manufacturers for months in advance when in reality, a lot of stuff doesn't even come by roadmap. Oh hey, I haven't seen the iPhone5 on any roadmap for the next year! I suppose that means there won't ever be one!!

Store clerks don't know crap. Don't make the mistake of thinking they do. If they did, they wouldn't be working as store clerks.
    Even middle management doesn't know about 'strategic' stuff like what's gonna be released two months down the road. Middle management only knows that they have to raise revenue by X% this quarter if they want to receive a bonus - which is why they tell the clerks to just sell whatever is on the shelves now instead of doing a silly thing like telling a customer to come back in two months... because the customer is liable to just go to another store next week where the clerk WILL try to sell whatever is on the shelf now.

Anything a store clerk says you can happily discard as useless garbage as, if you're a regular reader of this site and engadget, you have a 75% chance of knowing more than the clerk does, and a 0% chance of receiving anything that could be interpreted as 'inside information' by any definition of the phrase - simply because they're so far out in the periphery of the store's / carrier's organization as to not even properly being 'in' it anymore.

'Inside information' is only ever valuable AT ALL if it comes from a corporate level equal to or higher than a regional manager, product manager or project manager - depending on the type of company, product or service you want inside information from or about.

A general rule of thumb: an employee has a chance of being in possession of interesting information if his skills, experience and brainpower make him so valuable to his organization that he simply CANNOT be fired at moments notice because it would be difficult to adequately replace him in the short term.
    Store clerks, in this sense, can't even be properly counted as employees - they're more like a type of fruit because they grow on trees.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/16/2011 at 10:55 AM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Customer Service people are low-wage idiots that are at the very bottom of the information chain. They get news on a need-to-know basis, which means they get it on a need-to-sell-next-week basis. Carriers and stores can't afford to spend hours if not days every week on educating their highly expendable and extremely badly paid sales force about the finer points of hardware roadmaps.
    That's why a customer rep will tell you anything he/she believes will make you either go away or buy a new phone on the spot, depending on how they feel that day and on whether they're getting bonus payments for selling a certain model. They don't know what they're gonna sell in a month; they do know what they're selling NOW, and that's incidentally also what and when they want to sell.

I never understood this drive to elevate 19-year-old part-timing kids earning 8 dollars an hour hocking telephones to gurus who are somehow expected to know the roadmap of all major and minor smartphone manufacturers for months in advance when in reality, a lot of stuff doesn't even come by roadmap. Oh hey, I haven't seen the iPhone5 on any roadmap for the next year! I suppose that means there won't ever be one!!

Store clerks don't know crap. Don't make the mistake of thinking they do. If they did, they wouldn't be working as store clerks.
    Even middle management doesn't know about 'strategic' stuff like what's gonna be released two months down the road. Middle management only knows that they have to raise revenue by X% this quarter if they want to receive a bonus - which is why they tell the clerks to just sell whatever is on the shelves now instead of doing a silly thing like telling a customer to come back in two months... because the customer is liable to just go to another store next week where the clerk WILL try to sell whatever is on the shelf now.

Anything a store clerk says you can happily discard as useless garbage as, if you're a regular reader of this site and engadget, you have a 75% chance of knowing more than the clerk does, and a 0% chance of receiving anything that could be interpreted as 'inside information' by any definition of the phrase - simply because they're so far out in the periphery of the store's / carrier's organization as to not even properly being 'in' it anymore.

'Inside information' is only ever valuable AT ALL if it comes from a corporate level equal to or higher than a regional manager, product manager or project manager - depending on the type of company, product or service you want inside information from or about.

A general rule of thumb: an employee has a chance of being in possession of interesting information if his skills, experience and brainpower make him so valuable to his organization that he simply CANNOT be fired at moments notice because it would be difficult to adequately replace him in the short term.
    Store clerks, in this sense, can't even be properly counted as employees - they're more like a type of fruit because they grow on trees.
    Shhhh That's kind of my subversive point of this thread. Even the carriers we are sure that are getting it say the same things as the carrier we are sure isn't getting it. Keep that on the DL.
  7.    #27  
    deleted
    Last edited by Superjudge; 06/16/2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    We may be able to hold out until January, but I really wish I knew for sure. If that does happen, then we need new batteries. We are using our original batteries, and Dr. Battery shows them both just a little over 81% of capacity.
    I was able to purchase a "New" pre- battery on Amazon for under $6 which included shipping. Just go to that site and you will be suprised!!!!
    Fwiw, i was at an AT&T store today looking for a case for my iPad, and in speaking with the rep I showed my pre plus and told him I was thinking about maybe a veer because I like webos so much. He didn't speak highly about the veer, not because it's a bad device, but because that it was more a secondary phone and that at $100 it wasn't worth it. Knew alot abot webos, spoke highly of it and showed me just type as a new feature not available on my pre plus, but then went ahead and told me he just went through training on the pre3, and said if I really liked my pre plus I will be blown away with the update. Couldn't tell me a price or release date (only guessed it would be $200 when released) but that I should definitely wait for that one. When I asked if e was sure it was the pre 3 he trained for he said yes, and that it was a two day training and got his certification on it and everything. He was really impressed with the upgrade.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    except for the fact just type is just a rename and expanded universal search from 1.x

oh and the silly search bar up top

oh yes... When your in a store, real corporate stores are far better imo then a authorized retailer... They usually have ALL currently available phone models and they are live models not dummies.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    To add to previously made points, one of my best friends was the assistant manager at the biggest Verizon store in his district. Prior to the Pre2's release, I had him checking almost every day for any indication that the Pre2 was coming. I still found out on this site and engadget before he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    except for the fact just type is just a rename and expanded universal search from 1.x

oh and the silly search bar up top

oh yes... When your in a store, real corporate stores are far better imo then a authorized retailer... They usually have ALL currently available phone models and they are live models not dummies.
    Yes, And if youre not familiar with webos you wouldn't even notice it was different, but this person did which shows that he was at least decently informed about webos.

And this was at a corporate store, yes things are generally a little more expensive but the service you get is much better than an authorized dealer. Of course when I know exactly what I want, you can't beat amazon!
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Fwiw, i was at an AT&T store today looking for a case for my iPad, and in speaking with the rep I showed my pre plus and told him I was thinking about maybe a veer because I like webos so much. He didn't speak highly about the veer, not because it's a bad device, but because that it was more a secondary phone and that at $100 it wasn't worth it. Knew alot abot webos, spoke highly of it and showed me just type as a new feature not available on my pre plus, but then went ahead and told me he just went through training on the pre3, and said if I really liked my pre plus I will be blown away with the update. Couldn't tell me a price or release date (only guessed it would be $200 when released) but that I should definitely wait for that one. When I asked if e was sure it was the pre 3 he trained for he said yes, and that it was a two day training and got his certification on it and everything. He was really impressed with the upgrade.
    I wonder if HP is holding its cards really tight after the flack they got for announcing the touchpad so early.

ATT and Verizon sound like good bets, ATT needs some variety with iPhone going everywhere and Verizon seems to want variety as well.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    81%??? That sounds pretty good as my day 1 Pre- battery had gotten down to 59%. I just ordered a couple new batteries off of Amazon for $2 something. One was at 95% out of the packaging (minimal) but the other was 100%. I'd just order one and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    I wonder if HP is holding its cards really tight after the flack they got for announcing the touchpad so early.
    Ummm... Didn't they "announce" the Pre 3 *before* the TP? I mean, 30 seconds before, at that big event, months ago.

I fail to see what they are holding tight.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I fail to see what they are holding tight.
    Maybe you're failing to see what they're holding tight BECAUSE they're holding it so tight
    I was at one of the local Verizon stores earlier this week and asked about the Pre3. Salesguy said that the rep was just in a couple of days earlier and told them they'd have one for display in 2 weeks, but I assumed he meant something else. However, he said...I wouldn't recommend any Pre phone. So I had to school him on how much I like my Pre+ and that if they weren't going to carry the 3 (like they didn't the + or the 2...I had them special order it, they never even got one for display), I'd just get it somewhere else. He said he had had to return so many of the Pre + phones that it wasn't worth it to carry anything else. They only had one Pixi on display in the whole store to represent webOS.

I'll probably go back around the first of July to see if they really have one to look at and play around with. I have no interest in the TP, but a new phone would be fun.
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Glad to know you have a heart to the 14 million people outta work

All that other crap you stated, didn't care to read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootsvj View Post
    I just called Sprint customer service to complain about poor reception at my wife's house (*2 on Sprint phones). They hooked me up with a free airrave. My suspicion is they did this because my contract is up. I asked about HP phones, the customer service rep told me that they are being told "end of summer" for Pre3 release.
    That is what a sales rep and a technical support rep told us a few weeks ago at the Sprint 3rd Ave. store here in NYC. We have a very large webOS user base here in Mid-Manhattan and this is their main repair store for Sprint in the city. With that said, they told me (and others waiting online) that reps get phones first in advance of sales for inhouse training purposes. So, end of July is what we were told to expect the Pre 3. Everything will work out. I'm sure. Peace.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12