Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Worst comes to worst, FrakenPre!
    No way verizon is cheaper than sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Does that also include gps navigation?
    why yes, yes it does... for sprint
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Frankenpre for me as well. I can't leave my legacy plan of $40/month for basically unlimited everything. If I switched (and I seriously contemplated it b/c of rumors of no pre3), I would have to pay double if not more to get even close to a similar plan. I'm sticking with webOS even if its 1.X version for another year if I have to until Sprint pulls their head out of their behind.
    Here is my breakdown of the plans between Sprint and Verizon (not doing ATT cause I don't have time and they are more expensive then Verizon for sure) So here is a comparison of the two cheaper ones, and why I go with Sprint. (And I will compare plans that are the lowest family plans with the cheapest price on both, with the same features - for apples to apples for the most part)

Verizon:
    700min family plan (2 lines) - $99.99
    Unlimited Data for both - $29.99 x.99 2
    VZ Nav - $9.99 x 2
    (Unlimited text/picture mail etc, night weekends etc)
    $179.95

Sprint:
    1500min family plan (2 lines) - $119.99 <--smallest plan they have
    Plan Includes for both lines: unlimited data, free Sprint GPS Nav, unlimited text/picture mail, night weekend etc etc, unlimited roaming
    $119.99
    and to be fair, if I upgrade my phone now with the $10 per phone smartphone add-on here would be the new rate: $139.99

This is just straight numbers, no tax discounts or service plans.
    I get a bigger employee discount with Sprint also, so if you look at my plan, which is the one above - then add 2 $7 TPP ($14), after employee discount, taxes, and the TPP add-on - I pay ~$122/mth is going up to about $140 after my next upgrade with the smartphone data fee. Plus a free Airave femtocell for the house since my AC ducts/radiant barrier interfere with service. Also from calling both Verizon and Sprint, I can say Sprint currently has the better customer service.

If Verizon can beat that then we can talk...until then GO SPRINT!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    The issue for me is that I *can* make it work with verizon. But where the rubber hits the road, and part of my love/hate relationship with sprint, is the any mobile anytime plan.

Because Verizon offers more ala carte service, I can construct a plan on their network that is price competitive with sprint. The only problem is that I use an enormous number of minutes on my sprint plan that are included for free because of any mobile anytime. As soon as I take those minutes into consideration, I end up needing a much bigger voice plan on Verizon, and then I lose the competitive price.

For example:
    Verizon
    $69.99 700 minutes (first 2 lines)
    $9.99 3rd line
    $59.98 Data for two phones
    $15.00 SMS for 3 lines (limited)
    $154.96 Total

Sprint
    $129.99 1500 minutes (first 2 lines)
    $ 19.99 3rd line
    $149.98 Total

That's pretty close. The problem is that when I look at the people we talk to, and how many minutes I'd need to ensure we could continue to talk to them, 700 minutes is way too few by a large margin. Between my 3 lines we only use about 300 plan minutes per month, but we use well over 2000 free minutes per month. And that is an expensive plan on verizon. Here's what the cost becomes:

Verizon
    $99.99 2000 minutes (first 2 lines)
    $ 9.99 3rd line
    $59.98 Data for 2 phones
    $15.00 SMS for 3 lines (limited)
    $184.96 Total

Now *that* is a big difference, and it's something that keeps me on Sprint. And that's without unlimited GPS which I use a *LOT* on my sprint phone. If I went to Verizon, I'd end up buying a standalone GPS rather than pay the monthly fee. But even that makes the cost to switch to Verizon higher.

The analysis with AT&T a little better because they do have an equivalent any mobile anytime plan on their 700 minute and up family plans.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    mu7efcr--what is the "limit" on SMS at Verizon? Just wondering since it is unlimited on Sprint. I do wish Sprint had a family plan that was less than 1500 minutes.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    You mean VZ Navigator? No. Why would you pay for navigation, anyway? It's built in to almost every car sold these days, and if you need it for when you're walking, a map is probably cheaper. I suppose if you're an avid cyclist it might come in handy. But google maps is just as easy - and you don't have to listen to annoying british women telling you that you went too far.
    Because buying a new phone is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Because buying a new phone is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new car.
    Only if buying a new car is optional, or if you don't already have a car with GPS.
    Was just on sprints site they are telling me for 3 lines 2 smart/1 feature that it's going to be $169/month. My employer(me) does not get discounts from sprint. (Everything Data Family plan) that is what I pay for Verizon with discount
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Only if buying a new car is optional, or if you don't already have a car with GPS.
    I passed on nav when I bought my new car. It would have cost $2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    mu7efcr--what is the "limit" on SMS at Verizon
    250 messages per line. $5/line = $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Was just on sprints site they are telling me for 3 lines 2 smart/1 feature that it's going to be $169/month. My employer(me) does not get discounts from sprint. (Everything Data Family plan) that is what I pay for Verizon with discount
    That's right for new accounts. Smartphones on sprint now have a $10/mo/line fee. It's the "enhanced data fee". There is at least one smartphone on Sprint that is exempt from this (samsung replenish). Also existing smartphones are grandfathered in. Which is the case for me, so I removed that from the calculation. That does make an impact on the pricing comparing Sprint & Verizon for me. It adds $20 to Sprint. But it doesn't overcome the minutes issue that I pointed out above - which adds $30 to Verizon.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Don't forget, however, that on Verizon, you get 5 Friends and Family on the 700 minute plan, and 10 on the 1400 minute plan. If you are mostly calling 5 or 10 numbers, then going with one of those plans changes the dynamics of your calculation, because those numbers are free, even if they are land lines. So if you make a lot of calls to land lines, that use your minutes, and you list them as one of your F&F numbers, you can call them all day, every day, for free. You can't do that on Sprint.

More companies tend to have discounts with Verizon than Sprint, so that can also factor in depending on where you work. I get a 22% discount, so it would be tough for Sprint to match my plan.

For me, the biggest keys are the fact that 1) Verizon has the best coverage nationwide...period (rare is an area that you can't get their service but can get one of the others) and 2) they get the phones I want more than any other carrier. Verizon is pretty big on having a wide range of phones to suit every taste.

So, as with everything, you really have to take everything into consideration before you buy. For me, a phone service isn't any good if I drop a lot of calls and can't get data service, no matter how cheap it is.
    To me there is just the fact that people stay on sprint because the service is good enough for them and the price is right. At some point the service may get so bad that the price isn't good enough. I did it. I switched to tmobile cause i couldn't get reception on sprint in my house. But for many the increase in price for verizon isn't worth the added monthly cost. I think people should just consider that for many people, especially in this economy, with wages declining, 20+ million un or underemployed and rising costs of gas, food, and other living expenses, price matters for many. An if you have kids maybe an extra 20 a month pays for something for them. It's just a cost benefit analysis that everyone does. Like me i'm wouldn't paying for icloud or dropbox. I don't have netflix, etc, cause the cost to me totally exceeds the benefit. I think for many people the added expense of a different carrier is like that. Like people complained about tmobile but i lived in a major city and it was great. I think for some people the added cost is nothing. They don't care. It's worth it to spend money on, like netflix or drop box. It's why there are people that would rather save money and switch to android and stay on sprint rather then move to verizon. It's not everyone but I actually do understand the logic.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Why is everybody comparing price of sprint with big red. Sprint is cheaper if you use comparable features. It is fact. The added bonus is that you can get even cheaper if you get that 25% off for the main. Its super easy and you can even do it online. There is no need to deals with Reps.
    I pay $209 for 5 lines. I get security of not worrying about going over minutes (fam does 5.5K minutes each month) and "unlimited data" (havn't received any letter for Dan yet.) Also, I have insurance on the 2 Epics plus a free femtocell in my house.
    Its about $100 cheaper than Verizon, according to my fam's usage. Its also considerably cheaper than ATT (even with their new unlimited m2m.)

GPS is a non-issue for most people. A lot of people have android phones and iphones that have some form of navigation. GPS is so miniscule of a point, why bother. Its really just your break point vs economy. If sprint is really terrible for me, even at 100 bucks more, i would move to another service. But not for the Pre 3. FreakenPre if Pre 3 doesnt come to Sprint soon or no announcement for it by late July.

This thread has gotten too much attention and gone way off track. I vote we close it or someone just make a tread about Verizon vs Sprint Por Que? Por Que?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Yeah, this bad boy needs to be closed. We could fight until the end of time on who has the cheaper plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjstealth View Post
    Yeah, this bad boy needs to be closed. We could fight until the end of time on who has the cheaper plan.
    I don't see any "fight". I see people having a civil discussion. I think the perception that there is a fight going on is your imagination. I can see closing it cause the O.P. has run its course but i don't think thread should close just cause people are having a discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I don't see any "fight". I see people having a civil discussion. I think the perception that there is a fight going on is your imagination. I can see closing it cause the O.P. has run its course but i don't think thread should close just cause people are having a discussion.
    Glad someone else said this. I found this thread very helpful, as with no Pre 3 and this stinking extra $10 per line really has me thinking. We have 4 smart phones, so $40 a month is no small difference. Plus, last year I was goofing around with Verizon's site and I seem to remember for my usage on a $40 difference...
    Getting different carrier perspectives is very important. People need to know and understand the trade-offs you have with various carriers. As I mentioned, for me, Verizon is a good deal and I consider the Friends and Family allowing land lines to be a called number for free to be very important. Others may not. For others Sprint may be way cheaper. Others still it will be relatively the same if the usage fits the right patterns.

Sometimes people don't know what the other carriers are like. Some wonder why I would pay more for Verizon and I showed how it's not "that" much more under the right circumstances and where I place my value: connectivity. Others will value different aspects differently. For some it's all about the bottom line. As long as we don't bicker back and forth, I think this discussion is quite healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Glad someone else said this. I found this thread very helpful, as with no Pre 3 and this stinking extra $10 per line really has me thinking. We have 4 smart phones, so $40 a month is no small difference. Plus, last year I was goofing around with Verizon's site and I seem to remember for my usage on a $40 difference...
    Yes. And i didn't know of any deals on Verizon. But now I know they exists. And If i could get a deal like some others have gotten that's merely 5 or 10 bucks more the added expense may not matter. Especially when the 50 less minutes are not something i'd likely miss since i make few calls. But in the last page and a half I personally thought the conversation was quite friendly. And should i have to move to Verizon i'm surely gonna be looking out for a deal rather then going through their website if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Getting different carrier perspectives is very important.
    Agreed. I only got my sprint Pre because i read somewhere of an employee referral discount. Plus it's great to hear real experience of people in certain cities. Because if you are live in San Francisco you're probably gonna want to know about AT&T's reception issues. Or if you are moving to rural Indiana you're probably gonna want to know that T-mobile isn't that great outside of big cities. At least you can check a coverage map.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    I pay $209 for 5 lines.
    How did you get 209 for 5 lines? I'm at 260 for 5 lines (including 3 with the new 10 fee and 7/per phone insurance)?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast