Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I was just over at the AT&T site and for the hell of it, I checked my upgrade status. If I select a Pre Plus for a replacement, it shows a price of free with contract renewal for the Pre Plus or Pixi, and a $99.99 price for the Veer.

So, it looks like the comment about "making it right" from HP may include(or be limited to) giving people an early upgrade for EXISTING Palm owners. This may not do it for those with an original Palm Pre on Sprint, but if they offer a $200 with 2-year contract upgrade for the Pre 3 when I have only had my phone for 13 months so far, that seems reasonable.

Note that my wife has an iPhone 4 and is not yet at the 1-year mark, so it is NOT offering the "free with contract renewal", or it is limited to those with a WebOS based phone.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Kinda cool they seem to have ear-marked pre's for an early upgrade eh? on AT-T anyone with a pixi able to check out the same thing?

AT&T has been very close with HP thus far- the Pre3 branded 4g and pushed as world/corporate phone will be on AT&T almost undoubtedly. The other carriers are going to be consumer based I figure so its a tossup- but most likely Verizon.
    I don't qualify until oct 17. That's fine. I'll get the Pre 3 at that point.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I just want to get some official confirmation about the Pre 3 launch, but also, WebOS 2.3 or whatever it is called, if it comes with Bluetooth MAP, that will be a positive for those like myself who have Microsoft SYNC in their cars and have the system able to read your text messages to you.
    Ah ha! That's why Verizon is showing that I'm eligible for an upgrade!

We went to our Verizon page last week and I saw that my phone was eligible. I was like, what? Until now, it's been saying I wasn't due until December. Very neat.

Thing is, I'm loathe to give up my free Hotspot (which is a deal I'm sure VZ is more than happy to upgrade away, judging by the current hotspot pricing.)
    Says I'm eligible for an upgrade in May of 2012, and I got the phone in September of 2010.
    That's less than two years!
    they always offer an upgrade before the contract is up because they want to keep you from becoming a free agent. I doubt this is specific to webOS owners.
    Verizon offers renewal pricing 4 months before your contract is up. I don't know AT&T's policy.
    Oh. Just looked it up; it's a 20 month contract. Darn.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre Plus on AT&T on launch day(May 17th of 2010), so normally I would have to wait until November or so before I could get an early upgrade. The fact that they are letting me just swap my Pre Plus for a new one this early, or to get the regular upgrade price seems like HP really is trying to make it right by letting owners who have had it at least one year get an upgrade to a new Palm phone right now at regular upgrade pricing.

For those who are still seeing a 2012 upgrade date, I bet you didn't get your phone until August or September. Remember, the Pre 3 is theoretically being released this summer, so if you had your phone a year before the Pre 3 launch, that is what seems to be the key...they want us to upgrade on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I bought my Pre Plus on AT&T on launch day(May 17th of 2010), so normally I would have to wait until November or so before I could get an early upgrade. The fact that they are letting me just swap my Pre Plus for a new one this early, or to get the regular upgrade price seems like HP really is trying to make it right by letting owners who have had it at least one year get an upgrade to a new Palm phone right now at regular upgrade pricing.

For those who are still seeing a 2012 upgrade date, I bet you didn't get your phone until August or September. Remember, the Pre 3 is theoretically being released this summer, so if you had your phone a year before the Pre 3 launch, that is what seems to be the key...they want us to upgrade on launch day.
    I got mine on launch day as well. At least I won't have to pay off contract prices. But I don't know if the early upgrade is something HP worked out with AT&T. Maybe they did work something out for us who bought in May or June of 2010 but we won't know for sure.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Thing is, I'm loathe to give up my free Hotspot (which is a deal I'm sure VZ is more than happy to upgrade away, judging by the current hotspot pricing.)
    Every time I get excited about the possibility of getting the Pre3 (whenever it might come out) I remind myself of this. There's always Freetether, though ... remember that.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Every time I get excited about the possibility of getting the Pre3 (whenever it might come out) I remind myself of this. There's always Freetether, though ... remember that.
    The only problem with Freetether is that it doesn't work with Tomtom GPS which only get data over the Bluetooth connection. Whenever I try to use Freetether and then try to re-pair my GPS to the phone, the GPS is not seeing the tethered Bluetooth data.
    Just talked with Verizon, and she said that the discounted phone that I show on mine (a little over a year with my palm pre plus) means that I'm eligible to get another phone with a two year agreement. That's pretty cool. I think I may be getting the Launch Day Palm Pre 3!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    There's always Freetether, though ... remember that.
    Thanks. FreeTether's not quite something I feel comfortable with, though.

I'm glad to at least have the option of upgrading early, though.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Thanks. FreeTether's not quite something I feel comfortable with, though.

I'm glad to at least have the option of upgrading early, though.
    The only downside to Freetether is that it uses your regular data plan, which means that if you don't have unlimited data, you have to be careful about all the stuff that loves to phone home to check for updates.