Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 106
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I think you'll find, for most phone tasks and OS's, that a 1.4GHz single core processor is going to be faster than a 1-1.2GHz dual core. It will likely also use less power. Phones just aren't really multi-threaded. That may change in a year or so, but so will the available hardware. Why jump now on that 1.2GHz dual core when 2GHz quads will be out this time next year!? Chasing the bleeding edge of tech is stupid. I've been there...done that...wasted a *bleep*load of money only to find out that there is a better way: get what has good performance for the money at the time of purchase and enjoy.
    Ten years ago chasing the spec was necessary.

    Nowadays.. it's silly and a waste of time and money. What's the point in buying an Atrix that has 1.0ghz dual core... for the SOLE REASON that it's got better specs than the Pre 3's single core 1.4ghz? Think about that statement, and then think about it again, and tell me how stupid it sounds.

    In 20 years are we gonna skip on the Pre 16 because it *ONLY* has a 140 PHz Rainbow processor while Android Atrix 9000 has a 100 PHz Quad Core Flying Pterodactyl?
    Last edited by fxspec06; 06/14/2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  2. #22  
    I just tried a Nexus S 4G for a few weeks. Yep, great screen, fast processor, very slick hardware. Lots to drool over...

    But I gave it back because without webOS it's just frustrating. I'll take function over speed. I can't imagine being disappointed with the Pre3. How many people ever really use their smartphone or laptops to full capacity anyway?
  3. #23  
    As long as my phone does what I need it to do, does it reliably, and does it in a way that is pleasant....then I honestly do not care if someone else has a phone with more "cores" or 'gee bees' or anything.

    I actually don't even NEED to know what is under the hood.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    As long as my phone does what I need it to do, does it reliably, and does it in a way that is pleasant....then I honestly do not care if someone else has a phone with more "cores" or 'gee bees' or anything.
    .
    Gee Bees, no. However, if it has the hee bees, then I might be worried...
  5. #25  
    hahahaha



    And, if it has the Bee Gees.......I'd update the Music App
  6. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #26  
    My pre- @ 1gz does its job fairly quickly... I picked up the working demo unit at BestBuy of a Veer and realized just how slow my Pre- actually was...useing my evo that I returned or my wifes evo never did that- iOS and Android take way too many "steps" to do what I want- and its not just that I dont know what I am doing in Android- I know exactly how to do what I want- it just is atleast 1-3 more presses on average to do anything on android vs WebOS

    WebOS was built at core around multi-tasking in cards properly- nothing not even the playbook does it as well because its all tacked on- everything has to "think twice" to do whatever lame multi-task gimmick iOS or Android has tacked on- as with WebOS it is, how it is.

    A Veer @ a modern CPU with 800mhz and 512 ram sports WebOS 2.1 quickly- it responded perfect to all my loading, minimizing, wave taskbar, toss card etc guestures and it ran everything fast. Its been put on par or above slightly the pre2 in speed with its slightly last gen 1ghz cpu- now thing a Pre3 with a never before released (aka newest that it can be generation CPU) @ 1.4ghz... it will do what it does fast and not half fast ;-)

    Also remeber a 1ghz CPU from last year is not as good as a 1ghz CPU from this year...architecture wise. if you need examples a 100mhz Pentium 1 was slower by leaps and bounds than a 166mhz Pentium 2, and thats only 0.6 better!

    The quallcom thats in the pre3 is state of the art and is the first device to have it- it will smoke.
  7. #27  
    Also to give an example...

    My core 2 extreme x9100 processor in my laptop runs @ 3.33ghz overclocked all day all night, and is just as useful, and just as fast in every day use as my neighbors core i5 760. It runs every game I throw at it at either MAX or near-MAX settings.. and so does my neighbors.. but ZOMG HIS HAS 2 MORE CORES!?!?!!!

    Yes, his is better spec'd, but that doesn't mean that I'm not -more- than happy with what I've got right now.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  8. #28  
    The only spec that matters to me is the phone is running webos 2.x.
  9. #29  
    If my next smartphone won't run Battlefield 3 in 3D, 7.1 audio, 100MB/s, while have 30 other apps open, 15 movies downloading, doing my laundry, walking my dog, going to work for me.......then I don't want it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post


    I see No Reason for getting a Pre3 over the Pre2 neither I get what all the fuzz is about.
    The Pre3 looks practically the same, 0.48 bigger screen, same storage, same RAM (512 Mb is old news now), same MP camera, small battery (considering faster processor and higher resolution screen).
    Plus single core processor, 0.4 MHz faster, but the Pre2 is also 0.4 MHz faster than the original Pre(+) and is not that much of a difference, I still hate how it stalls when sending a message or scrolling contacts and the call log .

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a WebOS fan and it is by faaar the best. But I like to have the top of the line tech, and this is just not it.
    I'm also sick and tired of looking at "available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Nokia" line and now put up with old hardware.
    They better come up with a "Pre4" by Christmas
    Sir,
    Please read this

    Here at P/C folks need to search a bit more before posting.

    Long story short, the specs are excellent.
  11. #31  
    The Pre 3 isnt outdated.. it isnt even out yet!

    Spec-wise, it IS "state of the art", but, not at the very top of the list in all categories.

    Based on what I have seen, and my recent experience with the Veer (man, that is a fast little phone), the Pre 3, with WebOS3 on it, should be, by far, one of the best, if not the best handsets available when it debuts, and will likely hold that reign for at least a year....

    Clocked at 1.4 ghz, with the Adreno GPU, the Qualcomm CPU will be able to handle most anything a user throws at it with power to spare, even the abuse of having 20 - 30 open cards at once.

    I do NOT want a dual core processor, clocked at lower speeds, sucking down my battery life when one processor can do it better at faster speeds. Multitasking on a smartphone is all about "task-switching", and not about having a 50 background preocesses running at the same time, like on a desktop system.. (there, multi-core chips are invaluable).

    Thart 3.6" screen with 800 x 480 resolution is going to be a tight, sharp and smooth looking display. The slideout vertical keyboard in THIS screen size is just not available anywhere else - so this is still a one handed user experience. Noise cancelling dual mics, front and rear cameras, and, guess what? HP is really working on making this an enterprise phone, meaning that this could be the coolest phone you'd ever get from your company, to use, EVER.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. #32  
    My only concern with the RAM is that it's an 800x480 screen, which is 2.5 times the number of pixels of the Pre and Pre 2, and I have to figure that's going to be a hit to the memory.
  13. #33  
    If you actually compare the CPU clock/core numbers, the Pre3 never was top of the market. From the day it was announced, there were already higher spec'd phones out there.

    However, given how smooth webOS it self is (and all the reasons listed in the above posts), I'd rather they release the Pre3 with lower specs earlier. Do you want them to update the innards and then wait another who-knows-how-many months before launch?
  14. vaxick's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #34  
    That's interesting the OP's Pre has the same camera as the Pre 3. I guess he must have gotten the only Pre out there with adjustable focus.

    On a serious note, 512mb or RAM is still completely fine for phones. Many Android phones still ship with 512mb of RAM. Much of the ones that ship with extra is for the fact the skins applied on top of Android eat away at extra memory so they include extra RAM to account for this.

    The CPU in the phone is more than fine and all those dual core phones are basically useless with Android right now. That extra core isn't going to get utilized unless apps are developed with it in mind and very few apps actually utilize it. It's more or less a moot point to say your phone has a dual core CPU in it because it isn't doing a whole lot right now.

    Windows Phone 7 is a good example of a phone with older hardware yet performs at blazing speeds because the phones hardware has been optimized for the OS. Optimization is the key to the best performance and for platforms like Android, this isn't exactly something that can be done due to Google allowing phones of any specs to use the OS. All we can do is hope is that HP will optimize WebOS for the Pre 3. That and let the GPU take processes away from the CPU.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    My pre- @ 1gz does its job fairly quickly... I picked up the working demo unit at BestBuy of a Veer and realized just how slow my Pre- actually was...useing my evo that I returned or my wifes evo never did that- iOS and Android take way too many "steps" to do what I want- and its not just that I dont know what I am doing in Android- I know exactly how to do what I want- it just is atleast 1-3 more presses on average to do anything on android vs WebOS

    WebOS was built at core around multi-tasking in cards properly- nothing not even the playbook does it as well because its all tacked on- everything has to "think twice" to do whatever lame multi-task gimmick iOS or Android has tacked on- as with WebOS it is, how it is.

    A Veer @ a modern CPU with 800mhz and 512 ram sports WebOS 2.1 quickly- it responded perfect to all my loading, minimizing, wave taskbar, toss card etc guestures and it ran everything fast. Its been put on par or above slightly the pre2 in speed with its slightly last gen 1ghz cpu- now thing a Pre3 with a never before released (aka newest that it can be generation CPU) @ 1.4ghz... it will do what it does fast and not half fast ;-)

    Also remeber a 1ghz CPU from last year is not as good as a 1ghz CPU from this year...architecture wise. if you need examples a 100mhz Pentium 1 was slower by leaps and bounds than a 166mhz Pentium 2, and thats only 0.6 better!

    The quallcom thats in the pre3 is state of the art and is the first device to have it- it will smoke.
    I agree with all your points but the qualcomm in Pre 3 is just an overclocked MSM8655 which is a 2nd gen Qualcomm (first gen being 8250 in Nexus ONE). Architectural improvements on 2nd gen processors are minor but with the addition of a new GPU it performs much better. In real world tests Adreno 205 has proven to be just as powerful as PowerVR SGX540 (found in Galaxy S).
  16. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #36  
    Outdated or not I can't wait to try out the Pre3. The keyboard is probably the same size as Treo600 so might be awesome to type on?
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/14/2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  17. #37  
    Obviously this is a hot button for the pre faithful. I don’t consider myself a pre faithful so much as a pre user that *prefers* WebOS, but not to the point that I’ll blindly overlook my other options.

    That said, I’ll say that imo the Pre3 is not “outdated” per say, but it is not going to be considered a “flagship” phone on any major carrier.

    As for single core/dual core, etc. etc. The things that matter (to me) are browser page loading speed (including flash) as the number one. Say what you want about dual core optimization, but reviews have shown some pretty good speed boosts. If the Pre3 can load pages “PC fast” with what it has, I’ll agree that it is a “superphone.”

    Coming in far second place, would be games. The Tegra HD games available are impressively better than the standard games. It is the only benchmark we have right now, but to be honest, HP has a lot more on its plate to just get new, compelling games on its platform period, before worrying about getting really high quality ones.

    Everything else is unimportant speed-wise. All of todays phones are fast enough.

    As for people bagging Android, in my playing with them the layout obviously is different than WebOS but hardly what I would call “challenging.” It shouldn’t take long to not only understand how the basic layout works, but also how you would “set up” the phone to work for you. Further, from the looks of their tablet OS, the next major overhaul of their phone OS will bring a lot of “webOS-like” features. Hey, they’re reportedly 400,000 people activating Android gadgets every day, they can’t all be Mensa Members… the OS really isn’t that hard to figure out.

    -Suntan
  18. Fatfool's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Also to give an example...

    My core 2 extreme x9100 processor in my laptop runs @ 3.33ghz overclocked all day all night, and is just as useful, and just as fast in every day use as my neighbors core i5 760. It runs every game I throw at it at either MAX or near-MAX settings.. and so does my neighbors.. but ZOMG HIS HAS 2 MORE CORES!?!?!!!

    Yes, his is better spec'd, but that doesn't mean that I'm not -more- than happy with what I've got right now.
    You forgot about the power consumption comparison. The X9100 is a total joke at battery life.

    Reminds me of the jokers who laughed at my Asus 80Jt's i5 520UM. Unfortunately for them, it lasts 7 hours (websurfing) compared to their ZOMG! quad core i7s!
  19. #39  
    Dont understand, when they make one hardware a year in a category, why not best everyone for that day and make the best possible one. If it gets beaten later, no worries mate for it was the best of the best atleast for sometime, which means, it will be really good for the rest of the time. However H/P starts with good and end up with ok.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Dont understand, when they make one hardware a year in a category, why not best everyone for that day and make the best possible one. If it gets beaten later, no worries mate for it was the best of the best atleast for sometime, which means, it will be really good for the rest of the time. However H/P starts with good and end up with ok.
    It's never been Palms way of doing things (simple fact, not that I agree with it). It's definitely not going to happen with the Pre3 but if HP starts pushing out better hw with a better time frame, it would make it easier for everyone. I'm just not sure how much HP wants to get into the spec war. Also, if HP does decide to license out WebOS, this might change their long term strategy.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions