Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    can someone help CDMA and GSM?

i thought CDMA is Sprint and GSM is Vzn.

i read a 3rd FCC post here that said the Pre 3 listed WCDMA 1850-1910 MHz

is that not Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    can someone help CDMA and GSM?

i thought CDMA is Sprint and GSM is Vzn.

i read a 3rd FCC post here that said the Pre 3 listed WCDMA 1850-1910 MHz

is that not Sprint?

In the USA the national carriers are:
    Sprint and Verizon Wireless on CDMA.
    AT&T and T-Mobile on GSM.

Sprint uses WiMAX for 4G
    Verizon uses LTE for 4G
    3G/4G on AT&T and T-Mobile details are not on the tip of my brain right now.

CDMA uses a technology that had significant advantages in coverage area (compared to GSM) when it was introduced. GSM has improved and made inroads in this area perhaps to the point of erasing this difference. GSM has a SIM card that stores basic info and PIM info that can be moved from phone to phone (CMDA has a similar construct avaiable but not widely used). GSM users generally can talk and use data simultaneously. CMDA EVDO users (3G) cannot talk and use data at the same time but SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) is rolled out in most areas (requires a phone with SVDO chips) which removes this difference as well.

In all honesty unless you plan to travel with your phone to countries where the carrier technology is different this is not that important. If you lived in Europe you'd have to use a GSM phone (no CDMA) and if you wanted to travel here you'd be able to use GSM here on AT&T or T-Mobile for voice but data would depend on the type of phone you had since various regions of the world have different frequencies set aside for use.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    CDMA
    GSM
    WCDMA aka UMTS

All different.
    Sprint/Verizon = CDMA
    AT&T/T-Mobile = GSM with WCDMA
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Bottom line, CDMA includes a royalty payment to Qualcomm, and GSM doesn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Bottom line, CDMA includes a royalty payment to Qualcomm, and GSM doesn't...
    That is not the bottom line unless you are concerned with that. The fact is that carriers using CDMA and phones using CDMA are competitively priced despite this.

The differentiation of the two services is not based on the royalty payments in my opinion.
    All you need to know is that CDMA radio is huge, bigger than Veer itself, while GSM radio is tiny, so tiny that sometimes you cant see it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    All you need to know is that CDMA radio is huge, bigger than Veer itself, while GSM radio is tiny, so tiny that sometimes you cant see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    That is not the bottom line unless you are concerned with that. The fact is that carriers using CDMA and phones using CDMA are competitively priced despite this.

The differentiation of the two services is not based on the royalty payments in my opinion.
    it explains why cdma didnt take over the world.
    I heard that CDMA was supposed to have much better voice quality sound. Don't quote me on that though.
    If you are talking about the Pre 3, the speculation is that Verizon will be carrying a world version -- CDMA for the US, GSM for outside the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it explains why cdma didnt take over the world.
    I disagree - my reading of this history (Privateline.com: Cellular History and Mobile Telephone History: An Introduction) and others leads me to think that GSM was conceived before Qualcom's IS-95 and that the lack of analog standards and the "greenfield" approach taken in GSM led to it being successful there.

I'm not sure but I thought that GSM was the only major cell technology permitted by law in many EU countries.

In any case, the role Qualcomm's license paid seems to be suspect. If you have different info please provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I heard that CDMA was supposed to have much better voice quality sound. Don't quote me on that though.
    I would think that all networks can make that claim at one time or another. CDMA in the US on Verizon has consistently won call quality more often then other networks but this may have more to do with the management of the network bandwidth than anything else.
    In the USA the national carriers are:
    Sprint and Verizon Wireless on CDMA.
    AT&T and T-Mobile on GSM.

Sprint uses WiMAX for 4G
    Verizon uses LTE for 4G
    3G/4G on AT&T and T-Mobile details are not on the tip of my brain right now.
    AT&T is supposed to be rolling out LTE, current 4G on AT&T is faster 3G from my understanding.

No idea on T-Mobile, but GSM phones (like Pre3 and Veer) won't get 3G on T-Mobile.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Shouldn't their username indicate why they consider it to be the bottom line? ;-)
    The agreement by European countries to adapt a single standard provided Europeans with great cellular coverage continent wide. It was supported by European OEM's to help stifle outside competition. This had the unintended affect of stifling innovation as well, as evidenced by the pitiful condition of Nokia, Ericsson and former maker Siemens.
    The countries providing most cellular innovation in the last 10-15 years are the USA, Japan and Korea none of which are dominated by GSM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    The agreement by European countries to adapt a single standard provided Europeans with great cellular coverage continent wide. It was supported by European OEM's to help stifle outside competition. This had the unintended affect of stifling innovation as well, as evidenced by the pitiful condition of Nokia, Ericsson and former maker Siemens.
    The countries providing most cellular innovation in the last 10-15 years are the USA, Japan and Korea none of which are dominated by GSM.
    What rubbish is this? CDMA has allowed LESS competition because handset makers are no longer able to produce phones which can run on any network. CDMA allows the carrier to control which phones are running on their network.

with GSM, there is no such control (or might I say, if it's unlocked)

Look at the Palm Pre itself. It was Sprint only. it wouldn't work anywhere else. And when Sprint decided not to carry the Palm Pre 3 or Pre 2, the customer cannot just buy one and use it on the sprint network. The GSM AT&T version could be unlocked (with a hassle) and be used anywhere else.

It's just because of AT&T's <<mod edit>> network in the US. GSM works fine outside.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/14/2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: language
    GSM users generally can talk and use data simultaneously.
    nope. not on gsm 2g, and when its 3g i think its not called gsm at all anymore to be extact but umts and that one is technically pretty close to cdma but still runs on sim cards. hsdpa and hsupa are extensions to umts and point in the 4g direction.
    wodin6,

excellent link. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    A: ringgggggg... ringgggggg...
    B: Hullo?
    A: Hey, feel like going to that place?
    B: That place? Oh yeah why not. Are they open today?
    A: Wait let me check...
    A: ...
    A: ...
    A: Yes they are. Meet you there.
    B: OK!

That's smart, and a CDMA smartphone is a 'contradictio in terminis'.

Cute. But IF that is your only criterion......then, I suppose that works for you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast