1.    #1  
    So I am really leaning towards leaving Blackberry and Android (I have both) and consolidating to one platform - webOS. It's gorgeous and simple. But I have certain apps and needs for my phone. So I thought I would turn to all of you for some help. I tried searching, but man, that didn't answer all of my questions, so why not one thread.

Consolidation again - LOL

Here's what I have on BlackBerry and Android and I need similar (or exactly) these apps:
    1) Foursquare
    2) Facebook (I know this exists)
    3) Twitter (I know this exists)
    4) Shazam
    5) OurGroceries
    6) Amazon MP3 (I know this exists)
    7) Google Voice (GVoice, is that right?)
    8) Amazon Kindle reader
    9) Bible (YouVersion)
    10) Blogger
    11) Chase Banking app
    12) Google Docs
    13) Engadget
    14) Dropbox
    15) Evernote
    16) Verizon FiOS Mobile remote (can control my FiOS box from phone - on AT&T, btw)
    17) Any decent weather app
    18) LinkedIn (I know this exists)
    19) Google Maps (I know, comes with it, I mean turn by turn nav)
    20) Mashable
    21) Netflix
    22) QR reader
    23) Poynt
    24) QuickOffice
    25) Verizon FiOS DVR controller (different than above, I can change settings and set sho recordings...again, I'm an AT&T user)
    26) Words with friends (yeah, stupid, but I play it)
    27) Tether (yeah, this is the best app for a BlackBerry ever if you plan on not paying additional tethering charges - it's usually $50 unless you're fortunate enough to get it at half price)
    28) BeBuzz (BlackBerry app that customizes LED and alerts for individuals)
    29) A good notes app (where I can take copious notes that are not limited in size and allow me to copy/paste)

Please let me know what is and what is NOT available for the Pre 3....of course, it's not out, we'll not know for sure until it's released, but at least this is a head-start........I want to make this as seamless as possible and I thought one thread to contain it all would be great. Other Android and Blackberry owners can sign off as well and add apps you would like if you're planning on switching over to a Pre 3.

Thanks in advance and I am VERY excited! The forum looks great and it seems this is a fantastic community of people here.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06/13/2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Foursquare - exists.
    Facebook - exists.
    Twitter - no official app, but free and paid 3rd party solutions are better than the real thing.
    Shazam - does not exist.
    OurGroceries - not that I know of. Maybe it has a mobile site?
    Google Voice - Voogle (coded by a 14 year old!). Costs $1.99.
    Amazon Kindle - said to be coming with webOS 3.0
    Bible - I believe several Bibles exist.
    Blogger - not that I know of. might have to use the website.
    Chase Banking - Yeah, use the website.
    Google Docs - again, website. Quickoffice lets you read files from GDocs on device, but you can only edit them in the browser.
    Engadget - exists.
    Dropbox - 3rd party app Dropboxify. Costs $2.99
    Evernote - exists.
    Verizon FiOS remote - does not exist. Perhaps a web interface?
    Weather app - No Nonsense Weather, The Weather Channel, Touchstone Weather, Rainy... many possibilities
    LinkedIn - exists. Apparently the app sucks pretty hard though.
    Turn by turn - NavIt (free, open source) or NDrive ($50 + map charges)
    Mashable - none.
    Netflix - said to be coming with Touchpad and 3.0
    QR reader - there are a few but they don't work very well
    Poynt - not that I know of
    QuickOffice - viewing only
    FiOS DVR controller - maybe the web interface?
    Words With Friends - nope
    Tethering - free, open source homebrew FreeTether app fulfills all your tethering needs without paying for a hotspot plan! Alternately, if you buy the tethering plans you can just use the built in tethering app
    BeBuzz - well, there's an LED, and it lights up, and it as well as notifications in general can be patched and customized using webOS' wonderful, open homebrew community and variety of patches.
    Notes app - PreText, Notes by Inglorious Apps, Memos, Tamoggemon Editor
    From what I can see...you have about 8 that are not presently available as native apps.

4) Shazam
    5) OurGroceries
    16) Verizon FiOS Mobile remote
    20) Mashable
    21) Netflix
    22) QR reader
    23) Poynt
    24) QuickOffice
    25) Verizon FiOS DVR controller

Quickoffice - has already been announced and on the way Quickoffice Quickoffice for webOS

Shazam and Netflix - both seem like required apps and I suspect HP will have them sooner then later. I think is was mentioned having support for Netflix coming and possibly web browser support in the interim. Maybe it just seems obvious that these are needed as default offerings.

I don't expect Verizon FiOS offerings anytime soon since they are very specific and probably focus on the present top two cell phone platforms. This may come sooner then later, since we've already heard from Amazon and HP is working with them for a native Kindle App. Also the same for QR Reader apps since with better hardware (cameras) comes better software.

I personally read Mashable everyday using NewsRoom's RSS reader presently available on webOS. If Mashable is some type of native tablet Magazine app like what Apple and the New York Times is doing, I suspect with more popularity the more we'll see of these offerings. HP already has deals with Time and other publishers to bring their offerings to the table.

With the coming Kindle app, I'm also hoping that HP continues to extend its and brings it to Music, Video, Photos, and Books. Why not have an app that does everything like Kindle, Nook, ePub, PDFs, etc all from the same app through a Synergy type interface.

I could also see this working with Video (Video Synergy) having one video app that does Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, etc...like Boxee but provided through webOS devices. Sorry for the long reply and hope this helps, Sorli...
  4.    #4  
    Innocentbystander and sorli, I wanted to personally say thank you for such fast and detailed replies. In the Blackberry forums and most Android forums people would have stated 'go search, newbie' versus provide such great replies, but for you two to step in and provide such great stuff right away, thanks a million. Makes me feel good about migrating to webOS.

For my very first post as a newbie and not even an owner of a webOS phone to be treated with such respect is overwhelmingly positive. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by AliensWanted View Post
    Innocentbystander and sorli, I wanted to personally say thank you for such fast and detailed replies. In the Blackberry forums and most Android forums people would have stated 'go search, newbie' versus provide such great replies, but for you two to step in and provide such great stuff right away, thanks a million. Makes me feel good about migrating to webOS.

For my very first post as a newbie and not even an owner of a webOS phone to be treated with such respect is overwhelmingly positive. Thank you
    I experienced the same in my first post here. Great community!

And a great topic btw. I don't own a WebOS device (yet) either so threads like this are extremely helpful.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by templetonryecy View Post
    I experienced the same in my first post here. Great community!

And a great topic btw. I don't own a WebOS device (yet) either so threads like this are extremely helpful.
    I do tons of research prior to switching. I was a BlackBerry guy forever before I tried Android (started with the Nexus One, spoiled all other Android phones) and now flirt with both. I have a Curve 3G for messing around with an an HTC Inspire (which is actually really nice)....but both platforms are lacking that 'certain something'. NOT an iPhone person, either, too restrictive...can't even bluetooth a file? WTH?

The new Bold 9900 sure looks sweet but it's only on OS7, which is the final nail in the BlackBerry Java platform....and then QNX...and who knows what that will look like or if it will even function properly.

Thrilled about webOS and it's potential.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/13/2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Removed link to personal blog
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Gotta post a few more times before you start getting insulted.
    My Pre- Verizon Fios DVR app works great for me. I am assuming there will be one.
  9.    #9  
    tbone, are you a Verizon user? If so, that is through Verizon. I am on AT&T and there is an Android app that works wonders....allows me to control my DVR, set channels/recordings, manage shows, delete shows...all of that. On top of that, there's another app that basically makes it my 'remote' for the DVR if I am at home and on WiFi connected to the system.....sweetness. I doubt that exists for the Pre of any variety but would be a great addition to be able to do that.

Devs, any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    tbone, are you a Verizon user? If so, that is through Verizon. I am on AT&T and there is an Android app that works wonders....allows me to control my DVR, set channels/recordings, manage shows, delete shows...all of that. On top of that, there's another app that basically makes it my 'remote' for the DVR if I am at home and on WiFi connected to the system.....sweetness. I doubt that exists for the Pre of any variety but would be a great addition to be able to do that.

Devs, any thoughts?
    If there is a web interface for all of this, then the need for a dedicated app goes down. All of this "you need an app" comes from the iPhone not having Flash support, so many online games require specific apps on the iPhone to do what Flash support enables the web browser to handle.

Bookmark the page that lets you control your DVR, and your browser will do the job.