Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, if anyone is to blame here for Sprint not getting any new HP WebOS devices, its defiently HP/Palm. The reason why is, Palm was the one who was in a tight spot so they had to release something! think about it, Sprint only got the device because of Sprint's past with Palm phones (most of them.) It's like if the Evo 3D was accualy the worst phone ever to be released Sprint wouldn't have known that, they'd probably base it off how everyone in the Sprint community likes Android, but when the Pre tried to go, Sprint didnt have enough time to get employee's to test it fully, because of the tight spot Palm was in. So overall, Palm released the Palm Pre and webOS way before it was ready. but hey, its not all bad! Look where webOS is now!(:
    Discussed already, this should probably go into the Sprint Pre3 is/nt thread. Waste of time to blame, won't get any of us a Pre3 or any other device so why spend the electrons?
    Sprint will get the Pre 3 as well as an Iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    don't forget to also blame all the clowns that boasted and bragged about all the returns they made searching for the perfect one.
    True. I don't think I've ever heard about any other product EVER where people returned it over and over again because of tiny flaws like 1mm 'oreo' (when the term 'oreo effect' originally meant to be able to twist the top half around by something like 20, which really is grounds for returning).
    Shouldn't we wait till the official carrier announcements before assigning blame for things that have or have not happened?
    If Sprint is not offering the Pre3 - that's Sprints decision.

With regard to the past: My guess is Sprint offered the Pre in the hopes that it will turn out - if not an IPhone killer - then at least a very popular alternative.

Sprint was small already and loosing plenty of customers per month even before they got the Pre. Palm was post its peak and also needed a success.
    So 2 underdogs allied in hopes of being successful together. In the end the hardware issues hurt Sprint while the months of exclusivity hurt Palm.

Anyway - that's the past now.
    If Sprint won't offer the Pre3 (and risk loosing some small percentage of customers), then either they
    a) irrationally hold a grudge and base business decision on that (which would be simply stupid)
    b) have some other - more rational reason - that we don't know about (special deals with Android manufacturers? hopes of/plans for getting IPhone? some other more or less brilliant strategy - whatever - all speculation)
    c) HP opted for cooperation with a bigger fish (anybody else) - and not providing Sprint was a condition of the deal

For HP Verizon and/or AT&T are *must-have* carriers.
    Sprint is a nice-to-have.

At this point whining won't make a difference. Deals have been made and signed. In a few weeks we'll learn whether Pre3 will arrive for Sprint. Based on past remarks by Sprint this doesn't look very likely to me, but we'll see.

For the sake of Sprint customers here I hope my guess is wrong.

But look at it from Sprints and HPs POV:
    * HP needs to get maximum exposure in a short amount of time. While keeping the existing Sprint users would be nice, gaining many more customers on the big networks is by far the priority. If they can *also* sell via Sprint - great. If Sprint turns out to be difficult in negotiations or they have to decide between Sprint or any of the others - Sprint becomes a necessary sacrifice to make. Some of the webos fans will simply switch providers (Sprint helped with the $10 smartphone surcharge). The rest will have to be written off for the sake of the many new customers HP can get via the much larger networks.

* Sprint is in the business of providing network access - not phone sales. The phone sales are a means to an end. Common wisdom has it that customers would rather switch phone platforms than providers. If that turns out true Sprint will simply sell Android phones instead of Pre - hardly any difference to them as long as the Android phones are cool enough to attract new customers

Plenty of people here keep saying that if the Pre3 doesn't come to Sprint then they'll *have to* get this or that cool Android alternative. So Sprint looks at that and says "works for me".

Every customer here who shouted "HP *needs* to bring Pre3 to Sprint or else ..." at the same time signaled Sprint that they don't need to bother offering webos phones.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Not sure which network has the largest WebOS user base but my guess would be Sprint. So it would be a mistake to possibly lose that customer base. We will just have to wait to see where things go. Might be all networks at once. Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    True. I don't think I've ever heard about any other product EVER where people returned it over and over again because of tiny flaws like 1mm 'oreo' (when the term 'oreo effect' originally meant to be able to twist the top half around by something like 20, which really is grounds for returning).
    Totally agree on that.
    Oreos are not the topic of this thread... so let's stay on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    Not sure which network has the largest WebOS user base but my guess would be Sprint. So it would be a mistake to possibly lose that customer base. We will just have to wait to see where things go. Might be all networks at once. Time will tell.
    Yeah but WebOS has like 1% of the smartphone market share. I doubt HP cares about the largest portion of a 1% market share.

I really can't wait to ditch this Epic 4G for the Pre 3 though. Android is a horribly overrated operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprintguy1376 View Post
    Android is a horribly overrated operating system.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Shouldn't we wait till the official carrier announcements before assigning blame for things that have or have not happened?
    Couldn't agree more. The phone hasn't been announced on any carrier what so ever, so all of this is a bit premature.
    The past only matters to us.

Sprint and all the carriers will get the Pre 3. They know not to do an exclusive again.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Sprint and all the carriers will get the Pre 3. They know not to do an exclusive again.
    Man I hope your right, but the Veer and Pre2 are saying/shouting otherwise. I like the way HP is handling the veer (more viral marketing than pushing it with crazy ladies), but the veer only seems to be going to AT&T and the Pre2 was a cluster. Forgive me for not having high hopes, but sprint it seems is on a highway to googlesville.
    Companies only do exclusives when they have to. If palm had a choice, they wouldn't have done it with the Pre. VZW and AT&T rarely go first (iphone was the exception that proved the rule).

If HP could get multiple carriers to launch, they would/will. If they can't, they don't and call it exclusive.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/13/2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Who's to blame? Who cares?! It's over. Let it go.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Times like these I wish I were a mod.
    +1 for Slap Button

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

My insider at Sprint told me that Verizon is getting an exclusive on the Pre 3 and that Sprint will be getting it in January! I hope he's wrong....but he's been right in the past. I told him I'm going to Verizon if it drops there and he said to come back on the 18th(?)(Can't remember the exact date because I was totally bummed and heading out the door) and check out the EVO 3D, it's pretty sweet, he said. I DO NOT want an Android phone, thank you. HP gave the exclusive to Verizon so I blame them.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    My insider at Sprint told me that Verizon is getting an exclusive on the Pre 3 and that Sprint will be getting it in January! I hope he's wrong....but he's been right in the past. I told him I'm going to Verizon if it drops there and he said to come back on the 18th(?)(Can't remember the exact date because I was totally bummed and heading out the door) and check out the EVO 3D, it's pretty sweet, he said. I DO NOT want an Android phone, thank you. HP gave the exclusive to Verizon so I blame them.
    If your insider is so good then when is Sprint getting the Galaxy S II phone?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    It a tough one. It depends, it's too subjective.

Palm was already struggling and trying to reinvent itsself, promising breakthrough innovation. Sprint too was struggling and chose to take a risk. Didn't work out so well. So now we want to know who's at fault?

Pre 3 isn't out yet and neither Sprint or HP has announced to cut ties. No confirmation from either of them regarding future devices or lack thereof.

So many are trying to draw their own conclusion without knowing all the facts. It's them that should get the blame for spreading negativity. If this was a race nearly everyone would be disqualified for multiple foul starts.......................................
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast