1.    #1  
    Does anyone know the protocol that'll be used for webos video calling? Is it only to/from webos devices?
    I don't know about the pre3 but the touchpad talks to non-webs devices.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I don't know about the pre3 but the touchpad talks to non-webs devices.
    Via video? Can you post a link to that?
    No, it's supposed to be using Skype. That's what I believe they showed in the original demo and it's definitely what they said in the presentation.
    Doesn't it have/support Skype? At least on Verizon?
  6.    #6  
    I don't know, but I will say the ability to switch from a voice call to video call with a button press is amazing and way better than facetime! I just hope it uses an open standard so we're not stuck only using it with webos people.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I don't know, but I will say the ability to switch from a voice call to video call with a button press is amazing and way better than facetime! I just hope it uses an open standard so we're not stuck only using it with webos people.
    yeah, im worried about two limitations:

1. can it video chat with a pc
    2. can it video chat via 3G/4G.

lacking any of those will severely diminish my interest in pre3
    IIRC, the iPad2 doesn't allow video chat via anything but WiFi, though if someone has a jailbroken iPhone that allows tethering, they can run it over that. Being able to use the carrier's data network would be a significant edge.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Not familiar with Skype (been sleeping under a rock) but would that mean that you could make calls using WIFI/WLAN?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    during the first presentation for the small, medium and large....they were using video chat(probably in house stuff) and mentioned they were in talks w/ skype about bringing it to the platform...also wanna say the verizon skype deal is over or ending soon.

and with the ability to switch from a phone call to video, it would have to be over the carrier network, no?, my reason being the handoff from 3g/4g to wifi without the call dropping off and being picked up again,...cause im pretty sure you can switch back from a video call to a voice call...and again how would the handoff work in this scenario...

voice call(3g/4g)>video chat(wifi)>voice call(3g/4g) ...just doesnt seem to make sense to me but this makes more sense to me voice call(3g/4g)>video chat(3g/4g)>voice call(3g/4g)...primarily switching from a video chat call(wifi) to voice call(3g/4g) will phone numbers need to be redial for it to work over the carriers 3g/4g network or will wifi just pop on and just connect the video part and voice will be over the carrier, which would probably cause problems with syncing of voice and lip movement(think kung ** movies voice over...lol)
    I'd love to see Google Talk video and voice support, personally. I doubt it would happen without an official Google-made client or Synergy plugin, but then I'd be able to make and receive VOIP calls using my existing cellphone number.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Via video? Can you post a link to that?
    I should have been clearer in my first post. I can't comment on whether it natively talks to other devices.

What I should have said was word on the street is Tango will be available for it.
    Skype would be huge, then I could check in on my baby monitor via the pre3
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    For what its worth, I could Qik or whatever with my wife when we both had Evo's over 3g and it was decent 'nuff for a cell phone 1 to 1 vid call- I belive that the pre 3 is going to (launch or eventual) have "industry" standard video codec- so you could call it up on a lifesize or pollycom system.

True teleconferance vid codec very much >>>>>>> than skype or qik type solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    IIRC, the iPad2 doesn't allow video chat via anything but WiFi, though if someone has a jailbroken iPhone that allows tethering, they can run it over that. Being able to use the carrier's data network would be a significant edge.
    iPhone 4 has hotspot without being jailbroken - just and FYI