Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Nice, it would be great if the Pre 3 comes with beats headphones as well.
    I wonder if this means Verizon/Sprint first?

"Pre3 is a CDMA/EVDO Rev A device that supports download speeds of up to 3.1 mbps. Connection speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors. Wireless connection requires wireless data service contract, network support, and is not available in all areas. Contact service provider to determine the coverage area and availability."

No mention of GSM.
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I wonder if this means Verizon/Sprint first?

"Pre3 is a CDMA/EVDO Rev A device that supports download speeds of up to 3.1 mbps. Connection speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors. Wireless connection requires wireless data service contract, network support, and is not available in all areas. Contact service provider to determine the coverage area and availability."

No mention of GSM.
    Lol, I was about to post that as well... good eye!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Verizon is pretty much now confirmed then as launch carrier.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Verizon might be the launch partner, but AT&T will get the device as well.
    I don't remember the Pre 3 coming with "Stereo speakers"?!?

In fact I'm pretty sure it comes with a mono loud speaker only.
    Doesn't say gps anymore, just a-gps.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    If marketed properly- haveing a beats audio headphone jack- from everything I have read about it- is a big deal- the speakers being "beats audio" skeptical- but if its fully "beats" certified device- thats nice- and will give very high quality sound out via the headphone jack.
    I think people are missing an obvious mistake with this ad. As in the Pre 3 does not have "Stereo speakers"

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    First of all, it isn't an ad because it is coming straight from the HP website. Secondly, it is possible that they changed the design of the phone from the time that it was announced in order to have an edge over the competition. I mean Beats audio seems to be the new fad when it comes to the younger crowd, so putting a smartphone out on the market that claims to have Beats audio will almost guarantee some younger buyers to want to get it. I mean when the pre3 was first announced it had web OS 2.2 on it, and then when it hit the FCC we found out about web OS 2.3.

EDIT: Also, if you notice the internal memory just says 16GB instead of a choice of 8GB or 16GB.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    IIRC this is usually the standard advertising on cell phones. Since a-gps allows the quicker gps lock. Thus being an "enhanced" version of GPS, just my thought. (and yes I know agps is not enhanced on all carriers thus the quotes).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Phil View Post
    First of all, it isn't an ad because it is coming straight from the HP website. Secondly, it is possible that they changed the design of the phone from the time that it was announced in order to have an edge over the competition.
    Or it could be a mistake and was copy pasted from the TP specs which makes the most sense.

Hardware changes to "have an edge" are almost never done after revealing the specs of a product because they are complicated, take more time and money and generally are not done. Usually a company would wait for the next version to do those changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    The "A-GPS" is actually a GPS assited by the cell phone towers to get a faster location. In fact, the "A" from A-GPS means "Assisted".
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Or it could be a mistake and was copy pasted from the TP specs which makes the most sense.

Hardware changes to "have an edge" are almost never done after revealing the specs of a product because they are complicated, take more time and money and generally are not done. Usually a company would wait for the next version to do those changes.
    I agree w/ you in general...but boy did Samsung prove that wrong w/ the Galaxy Tab 10.1!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    HP website Pre3 tech specs state (cut and pasted):

"Audio Mono speakerphone; dual-mic noise cancellation"

"Speakers Internal stereo speakers and Beats Audio™"

looks like it's gonna be there, per HP.
    I see pandas.
    It is a common mistake to assume that AGPS is not as good as GPS, but it is in fact better. AGPS is real satellite-based GPS, and it will work without a cellular signal. However if a cellular signal is present, it will obtain a fix faster than would be possible without.

I think some people are under the impression that AGPS is a fake GPS that works exclusively via cell tower triangulation, but this is not the case at all.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    HP website Pre3 tech specs state (cut and pasted):

"Audio Mono speakerphone; dual-mic noise cancellation"

"Speakers Internal stereo speakers and Beats Audio™"

looks like it's gonna be there, per HP.
    My PayPal account is ready to wager anyone that the Pre 3 will not have dual stereo speakers when it comes out.
    Beats audio is the next biggest market gimmick. Don't fall into it's trap.

Think Monster, Bose, and Beats..... Avoid if possible (In this case, not really avoidable, if it's there it's there but would Never pay a premium for it).
    I'm more interested in knowing which Codec chip the phone's running.

I.E My Captivate uses the WM8994 DAC by Wolfson, a VERY good chip from a very good company. With a VoodooApp (rooted) you can control the Gain (hardware gain), 128x oversampling on both recording and playback.... It's a powerful codec for a phone. And it sounds excellent. It's my primary player for my senn's.

I believe the previous PRE's did not have a dedicated audio Codec, instead it was kinda of all in one mumbo jumbo from TI, and the Pre's were not exactly known for their sound quality.

When it comes to using high quality hardware, Palm has always fallen behind in my opinion.

IMO they should Outsource hardware production to Samsung. OLED displays, fast dual-core chips, slab design (anywhere from 4" to 4.5" available). Top notch stuff has been coming out of Samsung.

PS: My veer should be here monday, would love to see where it stands hardware wise in it's $99 class.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Beats audio is the next biggest market gimmick. Don't fall into it's trap.

Think Monster, Bose, and Beats..... Avoid if possible (In this case, not really avoidable, if it's there it's there but would Never pay a premium for it).
    I'm more interested in knowing which Codec chip the phone's running.

I.E My Captivate uses the WM8994 DAC by Wolfson, a VERY good chip from a very good company. With a VoodooApp (rooted) you can control the Gain (hardware gain), 128x oversampling on both recording and playback.... It's a powerful codec for a phone. And it sounds excellent. It's my primary player for my senn's.

I believe the previous PRE's did not have a dedicated audio Codec, instead it was kinda of all in one mumbo jumbo from TI, and the Pre's were not exactly known for their sound quality.

When it comes to using high quality hardware, Palm has always fallen behind in my opinion.

IMO they should Outsource hardware production to Samsung. OLED displays, fast dual-core chips, slab design (anywhere from 4" to 4.5" available). Top notch stuff has been coming out of Samsung.

PS: My veer should be here monday, would love to see where it stands hardware wise in it's $99 class.
    Yes, most of us do understand that just because something has Beats Audio doesn't mean that the speakers are DJ worthy. But what it does mean to me that they put effort into making the speakers decent. I believe that the speakers on the TouchPad is obviously blow away the iPad 2's mono speaker and give me reasonable speakers that I will use everyday watching movies and listening to music.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast