Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    The Beats Audio line is excessively overpriced and isn't nearly worth its price compared to its competitors who sell higher quality products for less. Everybody just flocks to it because "Dre" is attached to it.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    The Beats Audio line is excessively overpriced and isn't nearly worth its price compared to its competitors who sell higher quality products for less. Everybody just flocks to it because "Dre" is attached to it.
    The normal Envy14 with 1600x900 Radiance screen, best of both worlds, very good monitor and beats audio included without the Beats Line design.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I guess he's talking about the headphones? In which case I completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    The normal Envy14 with 1600x900 Radiance screen, best of both worlds, very good monitor and beats audio included without the Beats Line design.
    Yes, but without WebOS. HP needs a marketing tool to get the attention of all the Lemmings. Maybe the Beats brand will be it. We need all the help we can get to awake the masses to the benefits of WebOS. I don't know about anyone else, but I would have a difficult time going back to any another mobile os.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    As it's been said, it's marketing.... most "premium" audio is excessively overpriced. It doesn't mean Beats isn't better than generic.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #86  
    It still shows on the website... hmmmmmmmm
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Or it could be a mistake and was copy pasted from the TP specs which makes the most sense.

Hardware changes to "have an edge" are almost never done after revealing the specs of a product because they are complicated, take more time and money and generally are not done. Usually a company would wait for the next version to do those changes.
    Many processor updates for higher clock rates and such retain the same pin-count and specs, with only the internals being upgraded. This means that they COULD just put a faster processor in there if the voltage demand remains the same. In the same way that most computer motherboards are designed to allow adding a faster processor, cell phone DESIGN should allow a fairly simple change in the manufacturing to put a faster chip in. Surface mounting may prevent end-user upgrades to our phones, but on the assembly line, putting a 1.6GHz chip in instead of the 1.4GHz SHOULD be simple, or even making it a dual-core design as long as the connection to the phone(pin outs) remains the same.
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm probably more of an audiophile than most here on this forum..

and let me just explain this to you: Beats audio is not a gimmick, but Cantaffordit is right. It's all about the audio jack.

Lets say I hook up my phone, or an iPod, or even my computer via 3.5mm analog connection to my HT receiver. There is a very high probability that the components inside the phone, iPod, or computer will / can create noise, artifacts, unwanted sounds, that you may or may not hear during playback. It is a fact that with my laptop, if I hook it up to my receiver via 3.5mm cable with the power cord plugged in, and the HDMI cable is not plugged in as well (I.E. acting as a ground), there's a VERY loud and noticeable 'buzz'. 99/100 of you wouldn't even care about it, but to me, my god I can't effing stand it.

Beats audio takes a 3.5mm jack, eliminates this buzz, and all unwanted noise, by giving all audio internal connections their separate channels / wires, plus extra power (this does NOT mean louder). This means crystal clear music, COMPARING TO, but NEVER surpassing, digital audio (which is the CREME of the cake when it comes to audio, until you get into the tube amp tier).

Say thank you everybody, I hope this clears everything up.

Beats has nothing to do with the speakers on the device.
    The essential element of this feature is true isolation. When I built PC's for a few decades we used specific sound cards and we custom built cards for certain accounts. There were many companies such as Aria and Diamond and many more that passed into the Digital Underground that offered a much better solution with their DSP and DAC design.

Where you are slightly off track is that this is digital audio but a plebeian offering compared to the newer DAC's. All DSP's do essentially the same thing but are differentiated by attenuation, noise and management of signal and heat. The Wolfson chip seems fine but I honestly have not studied it any length.

An integrated solution is the worst thing to have unless you can truly isolate the bus, secondary feedback and manage signal and heat. HP has taken this tactic in the design by attempting to truly isolate the signal. Beats may be part sound codec but this is much more important than people realize. The proper codec and profile will extract the best results if it is matched to the DAC and output design. An equalizer program is mostly wasted if you do not spend some time creating the proper profile

Obviously tubes still produce the best sound quality but the newer designs are promising. As you mention the speakers are not premium (not sure who makes them) but a matched circuit makes any decent speaker sound good. It truly shines when hooked to a decent four speaker or higher setup or good headphones. I use two Yamaha, two Monsoon's and a Monsoon sub woofer with an external controller for my laptop. The laptop is new as I finally retired my last Super IO system and no longer build systems. The laptop by chance came with Beats and there is obviously some work done with signal bleed and noise isolation and while there is some noise in the output it is negligible and controllable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    (...)But what it does mean to me that they put effort into making the speakers decent. I believe that the speakers on the TouchPad is obviously blow away the iPad 2's mono speaker(...)
    I disagree. There's no point in spending time and resources on making pathetic speakers sound 50% less pathetic. They'd still remain firmly in "pathetic" category, even if two times better than woefully pathetic ones . It is just not possible to have any decent sound quality coming out of these microscopic buzzers, no matters how hard they try to make them sound "better".

Having great audio quality via jack, is a different story. If anyone can pair it with his/her hi-fi earphones of choice, and have a hi-fi music experience, it is a completely different story than wasting their time on improving on internal speakers.

That said, it would contribute even more to HPalm's current Enterprise/Consumer schizophrenia. And thus I doubt it would have any positive impact at all, in increasing Pre 3's sales numbers.

Key Account sales person: "...and it has great hifi-class sound output!"
    Enterprise customer: "...yeah, right..."

Individual Customer sales representative: "...and it has great hifi-class sound output!"
    Consumer: "yeah, but it is not exactly on par with your other media-centered phones, it looks very much business-like to me?"

Regards,
    If they give me beats just through the headphone jack I will be satisfied.
    Any headphone jack is an upgrade over this crackly piece of SHART on my pre.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I would be satisfied too, if they crank up some decent quality audio, be it beats, beast, or whatever, just don't think it would have any significant impact on Pre 3 sales figures.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Personaly I think it would be a very good idea to install high quality and LOUD speakers into the phone.

Most of modern smartphones are useless when they are inside of your pocket because either the vibration alarm is too weak or the volume of the tiny speaker is too low!

There are 2 companies that have very good speakers:

- RIM with their Blackberry Bold line (Torch doesn't have as good speakers as the Bold-Family)
    - SonyEricsson Xperia Play (stereo speakers)

When my Blackberry Bold 9700 starts ringing I was asked a few times if there's a complete Music Band in my pocket ;-)

And what can you do with a phone that you can't hear ringing?
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.G View Post
    And what can you do with a phone that you can't hear ringing?
    Pretty much the majority of what I do with my phone doesn't involve it ringing... just saying.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345